“Fabulous cars, museum experience sadly dull”

Beaulieu National Motor Museum
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Beaulieu
More attraction details
Owner description: In the heart of the glorious New Forest, Beaulieu is one of the South's top visitor attractions. Here you will find the National Motor Museum, home to over 250 vehicles telling the history of motoring. You can also visit Palace House and Gardens, home of the Montagu family since 1538, the remains of Beaulieu Abbey and World of Top Gear where you can see some of the vehicles from Jeremy, James and Richard's most ambitious challenges. Ride on the high level Monorail or climb aboard the replica 1912 open top London bus for a fun way to see Beaulieu's sights.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I last visited in 1977 and frankly so little had happened in 36 yrs I felt short changed. The cars are terrific but it a bit too much like a showroom with dull settings for most cars, garage diorama with Ford excepted.
Blatantly commercial "Top Gear" display offers a low rent promotion for Clarkson's crew and the cars on film tent was so basic with 5 cars it should be retired.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,718)

Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband loves car museums so I knew he would enjoy Beaulieu. As a Top Gear fan he enjoyed seeing all the 'cars' close up and even had a ride with 'The Stig' in the simulator ! The James Bond collection was incredible with film clips showing the relevant cars.
The vintage section was his favourite, some fantastic cars there. A section displayed as an old street with London bus and a typical garage from days gone by. There were a few F1 racing cars as well which pleased hubby as he worked in motor racing all his life.
The Palace House ( only a few rooms open ) and especially the Abbey were interesting. We didn't use the monorail but a group of school children were certainly enjoying it !
My only criticism was the price of food and drink. A pot of leaf tea may be very nice but at £2 each I would rather have paid less and had a teabag !!
If you book tickets online it's cheaper. I managed to get a total of 15% off so do search around.
There is facility to do a return visit for free within 6 days - but make sure you get your tickets 45 mins before closing time.

1  Thank Shirley-7
Reviewed March 2, 2013

A good day out for all the family, plenty of interests, especially if you like vintage vehicles. The food court is okay, a bit pricey though.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

When we arrived at Brockenhurst station, there were few taxies waiting outside the station. We took one of them. It's about £20 ride to the museum. The driver gave us his card, so it was smooth to catch the taxi back to the station. There was no taxi waiting around the museum at that time.
The place is good for people who love cars like my husband certainly, but people who are not so keen on them, like myself, could have a good time. In fact, I enjoyed walking with him. They exibited the cars in "Top Gear". It was interesting to see the actual cars that had been used in the program. There was also a fine collection of classic cars, as well. I saw a beautiful classic car which was a wedding present from a wealthy husband. That was quite impressive. On the other hand, the section of cars in movies was a bit disappointing because the number of cars was quite limited. All in all, we felt that it was worth visiting.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

It has been a number of years since I visited this famous museum. I restricted myself to the motor museum, so I can't comment on the attractions of the grounds and Abbey, and on a very cold English winter's day I was pleased to confine myself to the attractions indoors.
On my visit the museum was featuring a James Bond exhibition that had many of the Bond cars - some battle scarred. Other Bond vehicles kept the cars company including speed boats and various other contraptions. Great movies and sound tracks played continuously. I found the explanations of how the stunts were achieved particularly fascinating.
Of course there are the more 'traditional' attractions with cars from many eras. I was particularly taken with a lovely sculpture 'bust' of Graham Hill which is displayed on a plinth next to a Lotus 49 - a car in which he enjoyed a lot of success. There are also lots of opportunties to say: 'I owned one of those back in nineteen...'
A genuine old garage from the early part of last century that was dismantled and rebuilt in the museum is an absolute delight.
This museum is a national treasure and should not be missed if you are in the UK.