“Consistent favourite...”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I'm a Ringwood local so have enjoyed The Inn on the Furlong for years, and have been prompted to actually write a review having eatan there with my wife yesterday evening. We'd popped in for a quick drink early evening and the plan was to think about where we were going on to for a meal - my wife really fancied a steak. We'd noted though that the pub was doing more food of late, so also thought we'd take a look at the menu...

In fact it's a new menu (or at least I think it is), with one side devoted to steaks. So we thought we'd try eating there. We pop in for a drink regularly, but this is the first time we've eatan there of an evening (we've snacked at lunchtime on a few occassions). We both opted for rib-eye, mine rare-medium and my wife's medium, both with pepper sauce, mine with chips, my wife's with sauteed potatoes (is this too much detail?!).

Fantastic! We simply couldn't fault it. All that was left were the stems that the cherry toms came on! A formal restaurant couldn't have cooked any part of the meal better - seriously - and with my job involving 100+ nights a year in hotels in the UK and globally I feel I can claim to know what the difference is between 'excellent', 'good', and 'average'. We did though enjoy the less formal ambience of the pub more than we'd have enjoyed a formal restauant. If I was going to be picky, I'd say that I'd have liked my steak a touch rarer - but the fault there is with me for not asking, not chef's.

OK, so this is one eating experience - but as I say, it was so unusually pleasing that it's motivated me to write this (encouraged by my wife!).

To provide a bit more info on the pub...

We ate last night in the bar area for the more lively atmosphere, but there is a conservatory area at the back for those who prefer things a bit quieter. There's also a tiled area outside, and couple of tables out the front for those who like to watch the world go by.

A fine range of Ringwood Brewery beers are available, including the outstanding Boondoggle :-)

It can be busy on popular footy or rugby days as there are TV screens in the bar and also one in the conservatory (and one outside under cover too). But there again, this is an asset for those who want to enjoy a pint in a lively atmosphere when there's a sporting event to watch (as I do once in a while).

There's a Northern Soul & Mod evening on a Saturday about once a month.

All in all a favourite of ours, one that's consistent, one which has improved steadily over the last few years, and one which is recommended. And one which we're now going to use again for meals of an evening...

There are newer reviews for The Inn on the Furlong

Reviewed March 5, 2014

If arrogance was a virtue the Landlady would score high. Went in for a drink with friends and family were greeted by unfriendly Landlord more worried about the football than his customers. It looks like a nice country pub but is more of a sports bar. Good local beer

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I live locally and yet had never eaten here until this weekend. I went with a friend for Sunday lunch and we were lucky to get in as it was full and we hadn't booked. We were found a lovely table in the window by a roaring log fire. As it was Sunday we opted for the 2 course roast lunch which is ordered at the bar. (£8.25) You can have a smaller plate which is what we chose and it was hot, well cooked and served quickly with a good selection of veg. The puds that were school dinner variety were great. Friendly and prompt service rounded off a very pleasant lunch indeed.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Arrived in Ringwood on the bus from a weekend away in London with my mother and two daughters on a Sunday evening at 7.45pm and decided to have a quick drink in the Inn on the Furlong whilst waiting for our taxi. Looking through the window I could see that it was very quiet and the staff were decorating a christmas tree, it looked very welcoming. However, we hadn't even got through the front door when we were met by a very rude man who barred our way and told us that they didn't allow children in after 5pm. I won't argue with their policy, although I don't necessarily agree with it (I have no idea what they thought my children were going to do!), but what I do take exception to is the manner in which is was implemented. Politeness costs nothing and it was totally uncessary to be so blunt, especially bearing in mind that we had heavy bags, it was dark and cold and they had virutally no other customers. We waited outside and were glared at through the window by the staff as they continued to decorate the tree! A word of advice to the management from someone who has their own business in the tourist industry in the New Forest, it takes many years to build up a good reputation and a few weeks to loose it. If the Inn on the Furlong was the last pub in England, I wouldn't bother to spend my money there!

8  Thank Forest1072
Reviewed November 11, 2013

One of the best value breakfasts in Ringwood. Food is good value and quality during other times too. Local beers on tap.