“Great atmosphere, lacklustre menu.”
Review of The Red Shoot

The Red Shoot
Ranked #22 of 72 Restaurants in Ringwood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled in the heart of the New Forest, with its own micro-brewery producing 3 ales - Toms Tipple 4.8%, New Forest Gold 3.8% & Red White & Brew 4.0% and a dark mild Muddy Boot 4.2% We have an extensive homecooked menu to suit all tastes, which is served all day throughout the school holidays and weekends (times vary out of season)Outdoor seating area with views over the forest3 Beer Festivals a year April, July & OctoberLive bands every Sunday nightWeekly Quiz on Thursday night from 9.00pmFamilies, Dogs and Muddy Boots Welcome!
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The Red Shoot is a quint little pub situated in an ideal location in the middle of the New Forest. The Forest is right on it's doorstep in 4 directions so there are plenty of choices for a walk followed by a rest, a drink and some food afterwards and the pub welcomes dogs - and horses too (but not in the pub!).

The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was lovely. However at the time we went, which was a Friday lunchtime to have lunch, the menu was very limited. Disappointingly there was no chicken at all available in any of the main dishes, or in any of the other dishes for that matter. The main dishes consisted of Lambs liver with chips/potatoes, burger and chips, ham eggs and chips, cod and chips and one other dish I can't remember.

In their menu there were no salads whatsoever and, surprisingly, no Ploughman's lunches. Although there was a specials board for the deserts, which just duplicated what was on the menu, I couldn't see any other specials board. If the pub did have one then I do apologise, but I couldn't see it.

We had the fish (cod) and chips. The portion of cod was quite big but when I ate it the cod was actually cold at one end.

All in all this is a great pub for a drink and it's atmosphere but if want to go for a walk and come back to a big hearty lunch this isn't the place.

There are newer reviews for The Red Shoot

Reviewed May 11, 2014

We live locally and decided to go into the forest for Sunday Lunch but found the food quality very poor, service not too good either they forgot two of our orders but a nice location, this pub is good at what it does, feeding the people using the campsite but definitely not the place to go out your way for, five minutes up the road is The Alice Lisle which serves far better quality food.

1  Thank Kevin B
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Fantastic location and beautiful surroundings its a shame the food doesn't have the same qualities. A couple of the staff really should learn to acknowledge customers because it comes over quite rude and you feel ignored. We ordered our meals and some thing had ran out which is totally understandable due to being a bank holiday. When the meals arrived the standard of the food wasn't great. The veg looked like it had been sat out most of the afternoon and the chicken looked liked it hadn't seen the oven it was ghostly white. For the price you are paying the food needs to be better. Yes it was busy but don't send veg out that looks like it should be in the bin and get a bit of colour on the roast chicken. Not in a hurry to go back to eat but would just to have a drink and sit in wonderful surroundings.

2  Thank Grace U
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Good food, pleasant staff and a friendly atmosphere. Good capacity so OK to turn up without a booking. 2 beer festivals a year. I used to go here when I was a kid and loved it back then. This was my first visit in 44yrs. Surrounded by lovely countryside but easy to reach from the main road and nearby Ringwood. Decent beer too.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

I lived in Hampshire as a kid and regularly camped in the New Forrest with my brother and parents. One of my favourite places to camp was the site behind Red Shoot. One big reason for that was that we got to eat and get treats from the pub. The food was great as was the atmosphere. A few weeks ago my wife took me for a nostalgic visit to the area for my birthday and I told her about the pub. "Let's see if it's still there," she said. Not only was the pub still there and open but so was the campsite and all looking lovely still. Better than this, after 44yrs since my last visit, I met found that the people running it are the third generation landlords. We stayed for lunch, expecting something mediocre but my liver and bacon casserole was very good indeed. Service was pleasant and very efficient. Beer pretty good too. I will be back soon.