“Great Evening at the Cottage”

The Old Cottage Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 73 Restaurants in Ringwood
Cuisines: French, International
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: About us A warm welcome awaits you at The Old Cottage, a well established family run restaurant in the market town of Ringwood. The restaurant is one of the oldest buildings in Ringwood. Thought to be built around the 14th Century it is full of Olde Worlde Charm with warm fires in the winter and riverside dining in the summer.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We went to the Old Cottage as virgins not really knowing what to expect from this quirky venue.

What we got was great food and a lovely reception from staff who are not working to an agenda and just let their own lovely personalities do the work.

The restaurant was initially quiet but soon got busy and we had an entertaining time with some of the other customers, particularly an elderly couple who were great fun; it is very informal in the cottage.

I had medallions of steak and my fiancée had scallops, both meals were well presented, tasty and hearty but not over bearing in quantity.

I have to say that there is a slightly chaotic 'Fawlty Towers' feel to the place but it also makes it more endearing. Last night we were treated to another customers car catching fire and one of the staff (a lovely lady) running back and forth with several jugs of water before it dawned on her that she had a fire extinguisher.

All that that was missing was Basil shouting 'fire, fire'

A great evening and we will definitely return soon.

2  Thank Bob L

Reviewed March 9, 2014

After being given a weekend away by our son and girlfriend in Ringwood I looked on TA for help choosing a place to eat. How pleased were we with this choice! From the moment we entered this restaurant we were made to feel so welcome. Two lovely ladies looked after us all evening both excellent and both with great sense of humour. The food was fantastic, great choice,beautifully cooked.we loved the quirkiness of the building. Listening to other diners revealed how many come back time and again. Always a good sign. Our only grumble is that we live over 100 miles away otherwise we too would become regulars. Thank you

2  Thank samos-fan
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Have to say I'm a little surprised at other reviews I have read about this place. We visited on a Sunday night and the place was deserted. The welcome, when we were eventually noticed was warm and pleasant. We were given menus straight away and then taken to our table.
I had read the menu before we visited but thought all the positive reviews couldn't be wrong. The food was very basic, extremely 1980s in presentation, and average in all other respects. I have eaten a lot better for less and Won't be returning.

1  Thank Kate S
oldcottagerestaurant, Owner at The Old Cottage Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Really surprised at this review as we don't open on a Sunday evening during the winter months.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Visited here on a Saturday evening and have to say were pleasantly surprised after a rather odd start and had a fantastic meal. We walked in off the street, not having booked, and rang the bell at the bar ... there being no staff around ... and we waited and waited. We then went to the other bar and rang the bell ... and too waited and waited! Eventually someone appeared and offered us menus and a drink ... but no table. We were shown back to the original bar area and asked eventually to take a seat and choose off the menu - and eventually given a table. We choose from the fixed price menu ... £22 for three courses, £18 for two courses and definitely werent disappointed. We chose soup (which was a large bowl) and artichoke hearts and both were very very good. For main we had sirlon steak with mushrooms, a selection of veg and a choice of potatoes and was all cooked to perfection. It was the best steak we have eaten in ages. The wines were average in prices. So after some very slow service to start with .. it just got better and better and turned out to be a fantastic meal and will definitely return.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I absolutely love this place.
The food is some of the best food I have ever tasted, the head chief is a magician.
Service was fun and delightful I really enjoyed everything about my experience there.
The whole cottage has an amazing atmosphere it just really is so lovely.
I have been here multiple times, tried many different dishes, the meat is always cooked to perfection, succulent and melts like butter in your mouth.

1  Thank FridaGudmundsdottir