“Just popped in for food. Very poor service.”

original white hart
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ringwood
Reviewed June 14, 2014

My friend and I decided to have dinner at The Original White Heart as we had heard the food was good. We arrived at 6pm. There were no staff in sight. Two locals said this was not uncommon between 4-6pm. Two members of staff walked across the other side of the bar, both made eye contact but neither came to serve us. We waited a full 10 minutes. When a girl did appear, she asked if we were waiting I mentioned that we had been waiting for 10 minutes, she didn't apologise, smile or even make eye contact!
The food was ok. Nothing amazing, the same girl served us...and once again couldn't bring herself to smile.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Great value for money and the staff were extremely helpful and fantastic. We had a courtyard room where it was quiet. The room was clean. More than could be expected for the price. Central location meant easy access to town facilities. Would recommend to anyone looking for a nice, clean, friendly hotel in the New Forest.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I booked this hotel back in January when the reviews were quite good. The booking was for three rooms this past weekend. I spotted some bad reviews in recent weeks and contemplated cancelling and booking elsewhere. In the event, I'm glad I didn't.

1. The hotel is in a great location.
2. Yup, the centre of Ringwood has plenty of nightlife. And could be described as lively at weekends.
3. I stayed 2 nights and had 2 good night's sleep. My friends had a similar experience.
4. The bar is bustling but there are quiet areas. It stocks 3 real ales and attracts a good crowd.
5. There a several other restaurants and bars within a minute or two's walk.
6. We spent the weekend cycling in the New Forest and the breakfast set us up for the day.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 16. Its an outside room. The nearby car wash starts up at 8am.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night May 2014 in room 2.

Plus points
Very comfy bed
Free parking

Negatives
Light above sink in bathroom didnt work
No remote control in room for television
Hairdryer in bedroom didnt work
Bedroom tidy but not clean with lots of dust in corners of room, along skirty board
Instant coffee only for breakfast
No check back during evening meal
Regulars swearing loudly in bar but staff didn't ask them to stop swearing

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2014

its cheap for a reason, if you want a dirty room and a rubbish nights sleep then this place is fantastic. Werent warned before you stay that there was a drag queen in town until 1am and we were there for a bike race the following day so didnt really appreciate the lack of sleep the following morning.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I was looking forward to staying in a traditional inn for an overnight stay on a business trip. Everything seemed fine to begin with but found that I couldn't work the light in the bathroom. I asked a member of staff who referred me to her supervisor. Meanwhile I noticed that there were no pillowcases on the pillows. I mentioned this to the supervisor when I ordered my evening meal who said she would look at it when she looked at the bathroom light. During my meal she advised me that she had sorted the pillows but that she couldn't sort the light and she had put on the light above the bathroom mirror. Although this seemed to be helpful on my return to the room the light showed me that the bathroom had not been cleaned properly. There were splashes on the towel rail, hair in the sink, pipes along the skirting which looked as though they had never been wiped since installation and a dripping tap connection in the bath which highlighted the marks on either side of the bath at the tap to plughole. At this stage it was too late to change hotels and it seemed pointless to ask for another room as I didn't expect it would be any cleaner.
Sleeping was a problem as my room seemed to be over the public bar where locals were enjoying a midweek drink. The noise was too loud when there are rooms above.
Breakfast was very basic if you didn't want a full English. Instant coffee and a tea bag with a hot water pump to make your own hot drink. However the toast was delicious, just missed the marmalade to go with it.
I think this could be a lovely inn for a short stay if only the housekeeping and basic breakfast could be improved.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any rooms away from the bar. Room 5 is not good,
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We were looking for a cheap place to stay for a one night trip, and did not have high expectations due to some quite bad reviews. However, I do not have a bad word to say about this accommodation!
We stayed in room 9, which was a room in a little annex attached to the pub, and it was really clean and modern. Bed was comfortable, shower worked fine, tea/coffee/bottles of water in there, and a large TV. We were not disturbed by any 'pub noise' at all - even though it was a bank holiday.
We had a few drinks in the pub and the staff are all super friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was included and was a large cooked breakfast, and there was also a selection of fruit, cereal, juice and yoghurts.
We paid under £50 for a room, and we had a fantastic time.
No complaints at all, and we would love to come back for another night.

Room Tip: We didn't stay in the rooms above the pub, so cannot comment. However our room out the back was...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ringwood
Burley Manor
The Bell Inn
The Bell Inn
#1 of 1 in Brook
Eastclose Country House Hotel

Been to original white hart? Share your experiences!