“You get what you pay for!”

original white hart
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ringwood
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I was visiting a friend who lives locally. I travelled on my own and therefore only required a single room for one night. I booked through laterooms.com and paid £34.95 for a room and breakfast.
First impressions of the building and reception were that it is a pub that has some rooms above. The reception is Dickensian in appearance and I got checked in by a barmaid after she had finished serving the only customer at the bar and having a good laugh and a bit of banter with him!
The stairs and corridors are rickety and gruby. The room was small as was the bathroom but it was only for me and for one night.
The lighting was dim and the headboard on the bed was covered in dust, something that would have taken seconds to clean so earlier comments about the lack of a cleaner don't appear to have been taken on board!
Bed linen was clean as were the towels. Although the window opened I didn't feel comfortable leaving it open as there was a flat roof outside and a fire escape leading to the car park.
I had to leave in a hurry the following morning so did not have time for breakfast.
I would definitely NOT stay here if I were travelling with my wife. I would also not recommend The White Hart for women travelling alone. However for a one nighter I may consider staying here again if nothing else is available in the area!
As I said I only paid £34.95 so not a King's Ransom and is why I said in the Title "You get what you pay for"

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights from the 5th Aug and also booked another room for my Auntie for the Sat night.

When we first arrived the reception was very friendly and the hotel looked lovely from the outside. We stayed in one of the annex at the rear of the pub. When we first entered our room I thought it was really nice until my husband called me into the bathroom - the toilet had not been cleaned (poo on the sides of the bowl) and there were pubic hairs al around the bath. We then checked the rest of the room there was dirt on the window cill and coffee cup marks, sugar all on the side where you could make tea and coffee and the floor had not been hoovered. The beds had been made up and were lovely and clean and there were also nice clean towels.

We decided not to unpack and I informed reception that the bathroom had not been cleaned and that the room had also not been cleaned only the beds changed. The receptionist was very helpfull at the time and said she would check it out and get it cleaned before we returned later that day.

When we returned to the hotel the bathroom was spotless - but the sides still hadn't been wiped down or the floor hoovered which I did tell the receptionist again. Our beds were made everyday we stayed but never hoovered ect.

My Auntie and Uncle were arriving Sat so I thought I would check in for them and check there room. There were still items of clothing in the drawers from the previous people and again the room had not been cleaned only the beds changed. I again went and told reception that the bathroom needed cleaning and that the room had not been cleaned either the receptionist (different receptionist) this time didn't seem overly bothered but did send someone up the clean the bathroom.

The gentleman serving breakfast was friendly and the breakfast very nice.

Overall the room was very nice but unclean, breakfast nice. Noisey at nightime - but I expected this being a older building and over the top of a bar. We liked Ringwood and found it central to all the places we wanted to visit

I did send a e-mail to Marstons (where they request feedback) as I thought I should send my comments to them first but still received no reply 5 days later.

Room Tip: Nice rooms but needed cleaning
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The sheets were really dirty. The toilet lights were not working. The room lighting was poor so the sheets looked cleaner than they actually were. On taking a closer look - hair here and there (looked like pubes) and I was shocked to see stains!!

I informed room service and they came up to investigate...She scratched the stains with her nails and went, 'Oh that's a tear'....?&*^%???!! - Denial! She ignored the pubes...

The room I stayed in had no double glazing and the toilet lights were out! The room was next to the road as well. Earplugs were provided. This happened during my second stay.

The first time I stayed there, I requested a late check out before booking and they agreed for 12:00. However, after check out time, the lady who was supposed to clean the room just opened the door and was like -sorry!

After about 5 minutes her friend knocked on the door. She looked really irritated. She asked me to leave the room by 12:00 ( she was rude). I didn't feel comfortable after that, so I just left at 11:30

The only reason I went back the second time was because the one next door was full.

On the flip side, the breakfast was good and I also liked the Neutronagena shower gel and shampoo.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in had no double glazing and the toilet lights were out! It was next to the room a...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank rhonn
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I like to think I'm quite fair and honest with my reviews. So here goes:
On entry to the pub, the reception was closed. No big deal as someone from the bar opened it up as soon as I say I was coming to stay.
I have no offer to carry my bags by the 3 staff talking in the bar.
The room was down what another reviewer classed as an alley way, and I would imagine that this is how it appears in the night, especially when no one walks you to the room, the room doors are outside, to the back of the hotel near the car park.
The room was beautifully decorated, the bathroom was clean the room was clean. I had a kettle, 3 tea bags, 1 hot chocolate sachet, 1 coffee sachet, 3 milk cartons (I would have liked more), and 1 open pack of biscuits with one missing and one stale one left over. It didn't look as though it had been replenished. But the nice room, and nice flat screen tv made up for it.
There were towels in the room and a hairdryer. As the room is very compact there is no chair to sit at the dressing table, you simply sit at the end of the bed. No big deal. I wasn't here for a party.
The evening was noisey. One car beeping it's horn at 1030, one couple arguing at around 1130 and more noise, but fell back to sleep after shoving tissue in my ears. I woke in the morning to notice 'Complimentary earplugs'. I'll post a photo for you to see it to believe it. They obviously have problems with noise here. Even the local business I attended was shocked I was staying here. To be honest, if you can sleep with earplugs in or are a heavy sleeper, this is a great little room to stay in.
The breakfast wasn't amazing, and I was a bit dissappointed with the deep fried mushrooms and the deep fried sausage. The eggs were great. They were all too hot to eat, however, the toast was stone cold, the butter didn't even melt. Hope that helps you decide...

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms only
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Stayed here for one night in one of the rooms on the back annexe which was adequate for the money paid but overlooks car park and smokers standing outside for a cigarette. The staff were ok although a little on the unfriendly side but our worst grip was the food, it is very reasonably priced but it should be edible which it was not. I had beef strogonoff from the specials board and it looked very unappetising, grey meat that looked as though it had been boiled (more than once), was not able to eat it and when mentioned this to the waitress as she cleared our plates she simply asked us if we would like her to fetch the manager which we declined.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
whitehartringwood, Manager at original white hart, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Dear Trip advisor traveller.
I wasmost disapponted to hear of your comments and wish that you had insisted to speak to one of the management team regarding your problem with the food. I am sure that we could have rectified the problem and ensured that your stay was a pleasant one.We try to serve good quality food at all times , and can only aplogise for your disappointment
Regards
G Morris, manager

Reviewed June 11, 2011

The bed is comfy, the bathroom is modern, the shower is powerful and hot. Breakfast pleasing, wonderful choice, cater for veggies, staff friendly. What more could you want? Stay here!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Happpppppppy
Reviewed May 10, 2011

booked in for 1 night, unfortunately hot water boiler had packed in, but was offered the facility of a hot shower in another room, stayed in room over the front of the building, overlooking the road, earplugs not needed, good nights sleep, absolutely cracking breakfast with very pleasant service, paid bill on leaving only to find they had reduced the bill because of the hot water situation, without a shadow of a doubt will definately stay here again, only sorry that we didnt eat here in the evening, because the selection on the blackboard looked very tempting, went out to meet friends and ate at a restaurant called alice lyles, absolute crap

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mskef17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ringwood
Burley Manor
South Lawn Hotel
South Lawn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea
Eastclose Country House Hotel

Been to original white hart? Share your experiences!