“A fairy tale becoming true..”

Pen Cottage Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lyndhurst
Pen Cottage Bed and Breakfast
London
“A fairy tale becoming true..”
Reviewed April 14, 2009

It is not only love at the first sight (which definitely happens!) but also the days after that.
When we got there, we couldn´t believe how beautiful the place was...Then we met the lovely old lady in charge of the cottage, and her friendly labrador, Angus. Whenever you go to the countryside, you expect less (let´s say) "perfection" than being in a 4 stars hotel...And of course, you expect a touch with animals, and the first one and the best one I had was with Angus, a very friendly and happy dog.
The cottage was just perfect, as the rooms were very nice and charming. It is important to bear in mind, to know what you can find whenever you go to the countryside.
I find unfair the comments I´ve read on this page, as the breakfasts, the lady, the dog, and the cottage (indeed) were absolutely great, even much better than expected.
My husband and me are definitely coming back to this cottage next time we go to the New Forest.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ratones

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Wales
Reviewed June 27, 2008

From the moment we arrived outside this typical chocolate box cottage, I was delighted with our choice of accomodation. The cottage has two entrances; one of which leads in from the main road through a pretty little garden, alive with many species of birds..A birdwatcher would be in their element!
I was immediately greeted by "Angus" the labrador and the owner Sybil. The only danger this dog posed was that he may wag and lick you to death!! Our young son was intent on making friends with Angus, who was quite happy to be poked and proded, pulled and pushed around the garden on a daily basis.
We were shown around the house which oozed all the original features and charm you would expect to find in a 400 year old cottage; low wooden beams, stone flooring, stable style split doors and a wood burning fire.
Breakfast was served downstairs in a beautiful dining room, with Sybil offering a traditional full english which set us up for the day! We chose to eat our evening meal at the newly renovated pub opposite which catered for kids and adults alike.. You cant go wrong with a good old carvery!
This cottage was situated in an excellent postition; in walking distance of the town of Lyndhurst and directly accross the road from the New Forest itself, in which we enjoyed many a walk and adventure.
Sybil was able to give us plenty of local information as to where to go and what to do.
We will definately make a return visit to Pen Cottage and would recommend to anyone.

• Liked — The surrounding beauty of the forest
  • Disliked — would have liked an en-suite!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank bobandgang
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2007

When you first see Pen Cottage from the outside it looks just like you would expect a delightful little thatched cottage built in the early 1600's to look like, it looks absolutely wonderful. Once the door is opened the disapointment hits you with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.
You are firstly greeted by a rather largish black dog by the name of Angus, whilst he is not vicious he does like to bite a bit when you first meet him. The biting did not bother me a great deal until he had a nip at my side that left a red mark, Sybil the owner did very little else other than the ocassional and very pitiful "No Angus" or "Down Angus" which wouldn't even make a year old baby frightened. She told me several times to hit the dog (something I didn't want to do as it wasn't my dog). Whilst Angus did not frighten me he caused a bit of a concern to my wife and he is certainly not the type of dog you would expect to find at a Bed and Breakfast. He would be extremely frightening to any young children that don't have a lot of confidence with dogs.
Our room (along with the bathroom and toilet), was extremely dusty and there are plenty of cobwebs to go round. Not only was the bathroom full of dust and cobwebs but the bath had rather a lot of black hair in it that looked a lot like dog hair. The room structure itself was delightful and having done an apprenticeship as a Carpenter I totally enjoyed looking at the craftmanship involved in building this lovely old cottage, along with the pegs holding the whole structure together, rather than nails. The dust I had to look through (including a fairly liberal coating on each of the lightglobes on the standard lamps) turned the experience a bit sour.
Being fairly tall I had to duck a lot as the ceilings and beams are rather low, and both the toilet and bathroom are shared (I gladly accept all of these points as being part of the charactor of a building built in this era). So if you do decide to stay there and are over 6 foot tall get used to walking with a stoop or get a very sore head.
I'm fairly sure that the mattresses were bought within 5 years of the cottage being built (they certainly looked and felt like it anyway) and the last time anyone went through with a duster was about 6 or 7 years after it was built. The bin in the room was never emptied, nor was anything done to freshen up the room. How we left the room in the morning was extactly how it was when we went back in the evening.
Pen Cottage was the only disappointment of the 10 placees that we stayed in on our holiday and it was closest that I have ever been to walking away from a place and finding somewhere else to stay.
For all it's bad points at least the hand basin in the bathroom, the toilet bowl and cistern had a nice pattern on them.
All in all there are only two good points about staying at Pen Cottage and they are 1) leaving and 2) it is directly over the road from the White Swan Hotel which does a great cheap carvery Mon to Thurs (they also do the carvery Fri to Sun, but it costs a bit more).
I would love to stay at Pen Cottage again one day, but only if it had a new owner.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grumpywolf
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 14, 2007

Pen Cottage B&B is a 400 year old lovely thatched cottage situated on the Bournemouth Road at Swan Green just west of the village of Lyndhurst in the New Forest. The Bournemouth Road is quite busy but the cottage sits back from the road and flowers and bushes hide the road from the cottage. There is a back entrance to the garden at the rear of the cottage which it is more convneient to use, as the parking is street parking on the back road.

In February 07 I had contacted the owner by telephone, as instructed on the website, since she has no computer access or fax machine. I was coming to the UK from the USA for one week in June and wanted to stay in th New Forest, an area with which I have some acquaintance. Accompanying me were my two daughters, ages 8 and 11, and our au pair, aged 19. We wanted to stay in one place the entire week, and then take day trips around Hampshire using the car I had hired . At the end of that one week we were to leave for France to meet up with my elder daughter's choir for a 9-day choir tour in that country.

I will include more description of the cottage below, but at this point I would like to describe what happened to us. We had stayed at Pen Cottage 4 of the 7 nights, when suddenly at around 9:45 a.m.on the 4th morning, as I was about to leave for our day out (my children and au pair were already outside waiting in the car), the owner told me that we would have to leave that day, that we had booked only for 4 nights, not 7, and that she other guests arriving that day.

I was completely stunned, because I was certain that I had booked for an entire week --- I had been looking only for bookings for 7 nights from the beginning of my search for a place to stay for this week in the UK, and I had gone over the dates with the owner twice by telephone, first in the initial call when I made the booking back in February of this year, and then again just three days before our arrival when I rang her again from the USA to confirm both the dates and the time of our arrival.

The owner was very insistent that there was no mistake, that I had booked only for 4 nights, our 4 nights were up, and we had to leave immediately because she had to make up the beds and get the rooms cleaned by noon when the other guests were due to arrive. I had nothing in writing, other than my own notes, to prove that my booking had been for 7 nights, since the owner does not have email and our arrangements had been made by telephone only.

I told her that I didn't quite know what to do, that it had not been easy to find an affordable booking for four people even back in February when I was making the trip arrangements, and I wasn't quite sure even how to begin to look for another place to stay, especially because I was travelling with two young children. The owner had nothing to offer but again pressed me to leave as soon as possible.

I simply did not understand this happening. I had confirmed the dates with the owner a few days before arrival. She had served us breakfast that fourth morning around 8:00 and never said a word about our leaving that day. We had noticed a chilling of attitude toward us after my younger daughter accidentally broke a glass in the bedroom the 3rd night we were there. I don't know if this had any bearing on what was happening --- I did tell the owner from the very first telephone call that I would have children with me and gave her the ages, so it is not that she did not expect young children. (My children are well-behaved and know how to take care of things. The glass broke only because my daughter set it down on the table a little too close to the edge during the late evening when the lighting was minimal.)

Perhaps all this truly was just a booking mistake on the owner's part --- I simply don't know, but her attitude toward us was unsympathetic and unhelpful and her only concern seemed to be in getting us out of the cottage as quickly as possible so that she could make the preparations for her next guests. I was practically in tears and she simply repeated that we must go, we must go.

I have (British) friends who live some distance away but who were to meet me outside the cottage at 9:45 that morning to spend the day with us. I told the owner that I would go out to talk with them to see what all of us together could figure out.

I returned to the cottage about 10 minutes later to find the beds in our rooms stripped --- but a different attitude on the part of the owner. Now she said that she had solved the problem and found another B&B for the other guests, and that we could stay after all. I don't know what accounted for this sudden willingness to be helpful, but I was so upset by her earlier treatment of me and my family that at that point I told her we no longer felt welcome in her house, and that although we had not yet found another place to stay, we would be leaving. We packed and were gone in 20 minutes. It did take us several hours to search for and find another place to stay, so things did work out --- but I was extremely upset with Pen Cottage's owner for not only the mistake in the booking but especially for her callousness and insensitivity to our predicament when she told us we had to leave.

More about the cottage now:

The breakfast room is very pleasant and the view into the garden is quite lovely. We were offered choices of breakfast each day and the owner was willing to prepare whatever we wanted. The food was nicely done, although the tea is served only by the mug (and only one mug's serving a person) and only at the end of the meal --- a pot of tea for several cups during the meal would have been very welcome.

There are two guestrooms, both upstairs: one with twin beds and one with a double bed. (We had booked both rooms.) The rooms are quaintly decorated and very comfortable, although the lighting was rather dim and made it difficult to read at night.

The bathroom and toilet are downstairs. It was never clear to me whether or not these facilities were shared with the owner or if they were for guests alone --- but we were the only guests. There is a shower and a separate tub in the bathroom, and when we decided to use the bathtub for the first time, we found that it very obviously had not been cleaned since used last (not by us - we'd used only the shower to that point.)

If you choose to stay at Pen Cottage --- and I can see that it might be a very pleasant stay for some --- my advice would be to have some confirmation in writing from the owner as to the exact dates of your booking.

• Liked — the cottage itself --- really lovely
  • Disliked — the owner's unhelpfulness and unkindness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family