“fantastic central location for exploring the New Forest”

Ormonde House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Essex
“fantastic central location for exploring the New Forest”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had a really lovely stay in this hotel. Room was very spacious and comfortable, en-suite with a bath and overhead shower. Had to order our meal by 6pm and book our dining time, good choice of menu and the food was delicious. Very good wine list, reasonably priced. Breakfast was another delight, freshly squeezed orange juice as well as lots of local produce. Altogether an excellent stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Chester, England
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was our third stay at Ormonde House and once again I have no complaints. The hotel is situated on the edge of Lyndhurst in the middle of the new Forest and is the perfect base for exploring the area. We had our dog with us and the Forest itself starts opposite the hotel, perfect for a morning walk. The staff were excellent, the room was clean and well equiped and the breakfast was very good. This is a very pleaseant, quiet, relaxing hotel. We stayed in room 17 which is on the top floor, but has the advantage of being very quiet, which is what we wanted. I would recommend this hotel and will return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Ormonde in one of the suites. The room was clean and tidy and spacious. the breakfast brought to your room was novel and very nice. The staff were very friendly and accomodating. Great central location for exploring the New Forest.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed on a mid-week break and this was our first holiday with our little boy. We stayed in one of the garden suites which was a little dated to what I was expecting. The staff however were very accomodating for us as we opted to have dinner in our room as we thought it would be easier with a little one. The food was lovely especially dinner and there was also a good choice of childrens meals.

Room Tip: Pleasant accomodation but in need of updating
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights recently. Our room was a good size but décor a little dated, however the en suite shower room was very modern. We did hear noise from the road especially in the early mornings. The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. We also had dinner at the hotel and found it a little odd, having to pre order our food earlier in the day. I'm not sure I know what I might want to eat later in the evening. We were also asked to choose a time either 6.00pm, 6.30pm, 7.00pm etc.( Not come across this arrangement before when staying in hotels) The food at dinner was not as good as the breakfast. Staff were very helpful. Overall I think the hotel could do with some updating/decorating. Not sure if the cost was justified.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road.
1 Thank Hopemwnt
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Having moved on from a disappointing stay at The Bell Inn at Brook, we were pleased to have found this lovely little hotel. It's not 5-star luxury, but it's exactly what you would expect of a nice country hotel and is expertly run by competent, friendly staff. We stayed 2 nights in room 10 which is one of several rooms up in the roof. It overlooks the front garden and the road, so there's a bit of traffic noise, but not too excessive as it's set well back. The room itself was spacious and more than adequate for our needs; not luxurious but just what you would expect of a country hotel. The hotel location is excellent, being close enough to Lyndhurst for a pleasant stroll into town. We didn't have dinner in the hotel, as we wanted to walk out and try the local restaurants. The breakfast was first class with a good choice of food, individually prepared rather than a buffet. A nice touch on the menu is the message in red suggesting that you ask for an extra portion if you're hungry. The staff are probably the friendliest I've encountered in any hotel for many years. Nothing was too much trouble and their jovial personalities added to our experience. I hope to visit again at some point.

Hastings, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

the room was above the kitchen and the air conditioning which was mentioned on earlier review kept us awake most of the night, although it was stated by respondant for the hotel it gets switched off during night hours (It doesnt) at about 6.30-45 am we were woke by loud talking from below, outside our window which incidently, was frosted glass, so unable to comment on view. because of the noise from kitchen staff we found it impossible too get back to sleep ,so we went for breakfast, which was cooked well and adequate quantity(1 of everything).
My partner decided to try and catch up on his sleep whilst I went for a walk. The cleaner entered the room when he was on the bed and he said to leave the cleaning for the time being thankyou , as he was catching up on lost sleep.
after approx 45 mins we decided to go out so I met him outside the hotel in the car park, as we were discussing where to go, an elderly gentleman approached us,asking if we were in room 2,we replied yes,he then said we should approach him if we had a problem, and not give "his girls grief",my partner enquired as to who he was , and he boomed at him "Im the owner" taking a step forward towards my partner in an agressive manner, my partner denied giving anybody grief and we went out for the day, and was given another room on our return, thanks to a very helpful female employee.
We had much better nights sleep on the 2nd night,but felt the need to avoid the rather aggressive, self important owner, who maybe should have a badge or something to give some indication who he is,for fear of further conflict as he was extremely rude and abrupt , as we just wanted to enjoy a peaceful break in a lovely location.

Room Tip: avoid rooms above kitchen and air con unit, avoid owner !
2 Thank Lorraine M
ormonde9, Owner at Ormonde House Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
I've read your guests comments and there are two issues that need addressing

1st
The noise.
The kitchen fans ARE tuned off at night but I have discovered that the night duty manager left at approx. 6.45am and has a habit of chatting with the kitchen door open Sorry.
We don't turn our fans on till 8.30am so we are searching for the problem that you have mentioned and are to have all our fridges serviced. We have had quests staying in the same room since , and when asked have not mentioned the noise of fans overnight.The frosted glass hides a fire escape and no more.

2nd

My rudeness

Early in the morning, after breakfast one of my chambermaids reported to me that on entering your room she found your partner in bed . She claims you " barked " at claiming he not slept well and to come back later.

I later took the opportunity to approach you both in the car park with the intention of opologising for the lack of sleep.It was at this point that the conversation with yourselves took a turn for the worse.
I started to talk about the lack of sleep and your partner barking at my maid , when your partner said with a loud voice " and Who are You " and I , taken aback , replied with possibly just as loud " I'm the owner "
He had obviously forgotten the elderly gentleman taking the breakfast orders.

The conversation was cut short with him advising me he was checking out and you saying you were staying on ! so I left you both to sought out your differences

I suppose it all turned out a bit messy with me unable to apologise for the lack of sleep or even talk of a discount.

I had the next day off but was pleased to see on my return that you both had stayed on .

To finish , I suppose it was wrong of me to raise my voice but after 48 years as a hotelier there comes an occasion when you let your guard down.

Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#5 of 8 in Lyndhurst
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu

Been to Ormonde House Hotel? Share your experiences!