“Lovely long weekend stay”
Review of Rufus House

and 1 more site!
Rufus House
Ranked #6 of 22 Lyndhurst B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and had a very relaxing long weekend here. We stayed in a turret room on the first floor at the front. The room was spotlessly clean and Etsuko was very welcoming and helpful. Breakfast was very good, the location was fantastic for a few minutes walk into Lyndhurst town. We will certainly recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I went to the New Forest for a quiet, relaxing weekend, Friday-Sunday and The Rufus House was perfect for my needs. I had the smallest and cheapest room, a single on the first floor, at the back overlooking the garden. It was quiet, clean and well presented. The owners, Ernesto and Etsuko were very welcoming. I was encouraged to use the lounge area on the top floor if I felt my room was too cramped, but it was fine. Veggie breakfast was superb, lots of cereals and fruit choice as well. Hotel is directly opposite some great open heathland and Bolton's Bench, and 5 minutes walk from the centre of Lyndhurst. Ample parking space at the back.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at The Rufus. We needed a few days to unwind and relax .... that's just what we got. From the warmth of the welcome to our departure Ernesto and Etsuko could not have been more helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Our room was at the back of the hotel overlooking the lovely garden and was tastefully decorated. It was spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable and the breakfasts offered a large choice of both cereals and cooked meals sourced with locally produce.
Lynhurst town is only a few minutes walk away and has a more than adequate choice of restaurants and the forest is literally across the road.
We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I only stayed over for one night and being a frequent business booker of Hotels, I was very pleasantly surprised and found myself recommending this Hotel to my brother who has a daughter at the Southampton University. You will find your hosts here to be very helpful and friendly and the accommodation extremely welcoming and tastefully decorated. It certainly gets the thumbs up from me including it's proximity to the town... a very pleasant short walk into town to enjoy the numerous Shops, Pubs and Restaurants.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Rufus House for one night on a cycling break. The welcome was very friendly and check in was quick. The room we had faced the back and not the street as I read before that it can be quite noisy. The room itself was nice, the only minor thing I noticed was a huge cob web on the ceiling when it got dark and we had the lights switched on, but otherwise it was immaculately clean. Breakfast was lovely, very tasty and with many options, so can only say it shouldn't be missed!! Overall a good location within walking distance to Lyndhurst town centre. If you happen to be there by car, go to Milford on Sea for dinner at Le Verveine Restaurant! It was outstanding.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I had never booked into a hotel previously, that had such a high rating in the reviews. I will not repeat what my fellow travellers have had to say but suffice I agree with everything that they have to say in their reviews. I will only add a note of caution for those booking. There is no drinks licence and apart from breakfast, no meals are served. Rooms 8,9,10 & 11 are at the top of two flights of stairs so if you are elderly or have a lot of luggage with you, avoid these rooms. There are a number of breakable ornaments throughout the building so if you have young inquisitive children.....the book of guest rules in the bedrooms state that all breakages have to be paid for. You have been warned!!!

Room Tip: As stated, avoid rooms 8 to 11 if you are elderly or have a lot of baggage, as they are at the top o...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I have stayed here several times before and it never disappoints. The owners could not be more pleasant and helpfull. Great place to stay as an easy walk into Lyndhurst and great for forest walks. The turret room is simply amazing for the price. The only thing I would say is that the 8-9am breakfast times are a little early for me! But I would not stay anywhere else here

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo