“London food at Dorset prices”

Hartnett Holder & Co
Reserve with OpenTable
Hartnett Holder & Co is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 51 Restaurants in Lyndhurst
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Hartnett Holder & Co is a relaxed, stylish and comfortable upscale restaurant - full of character, yet unpretentious. Angela Hartnett and Lime Wood’s Luke Holder, with their team, create locally sourced English dishes with a respectful nod to the seasons and to Italian culinary ideologies. This collaboration is reflected in their fresh, confident approach ensuring that this is "fun dining, not fine dining". Open all day.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“London food at Dorset prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

Recently had midweek lunch with friends at the Lime Wood. Beautiful surroundings and very well appointed hotel. Went for the set lunch (2 courses £19.50, 3 courses £25.50) and a bottle of Chianti Rufina (£34). Excellent, friendly service and nice dining room overlooking ponds. Started with gazpacho (stylishly served), white peach/mozzarella salad (delicious according to my wife), halloumi and something. Very good start. Then I had crispy pork, lamb fillet, sausage, served on a bed of lentil ragout (really nice and filling) while the others had bollito misto di mare, which they all enjoyed (but I think I did better). We then shared two desserts, one of which was the English and Italian artisan cheeseboard. All very stylishly presented. With water and coffee the bill for four came to £146, including service. So not cheap but not overpriced for the quality of the food and the experience. Will definitely go again.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Lee P

Netley, United Kingdom
“Exquisite in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I took my partner here for our recent anniversary. The hotel is in a fantastic location and the grounds are superb.

The staff were excellent and their attention to detail was amazing.

We started the evening by having a drink in the main bar and enjoyed some cocktails.

When we were taken through for supper we were looked after extremely well. The staff spent a lot of time explaining all the food and making recommendations for us, including a superb wine to compliment our supper.

We had the fillet steak for 2 and it was by far the best meal I have ever had. It was an expensive treat but well worth every penny. I just wish I could visit every week!

I will definitely go back and hopefully include an overnight stay!

Visited August 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Do the chef's table.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

Take a look at my hotel review for our experience. But short version - do the chef's table of you can. it's the best one ive ever done by far.

Visited March 2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Preferred it before the revamp”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

Sunday lunch for two on 27 July. Set menu for two with one bottle of wine. Total cost £113. Special occasion with our booking based on previous lovely meals, although they were before the dining room was revamped and new culinary influences were introduced.

For this price we expected a more polished approach to service and better food.

No salt and pepper on the table. No tray of sauces offered when main course was brought to the table (apple sauce to go with pork?). We had to ask for it when it appeared at the next table, by which time we were half way through our meal. I hope I am not being too picky in thinking this is somewhat unsatisfactory.

Medium rare beef was requested. It was much closer to medium than it should have been. Starters seemed rather salty but that might just be our preferences.

The raspberry desserts were terrific.

Having pointed out our concerns to our waiter (whose not very helpful reply was that he would tell the chef) we were surprised to find a service charge added to the bill. I regret not asking for it to be removed, but I didn't.

All in all, a disappointing experience. I realise this is a minority view of the restaurant and am glad others were happy with their meals.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Montythecat461
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Not for vegetarians”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

This was a birthday surprise for me as I am a great admirer of Angela Hartnett. As a vegetarian we always check that there are options available as it is usually just pasta on offer. I chose the minestrone soup tomstart which I was assured was vegetarian but It tasted very strongly of fish though the waitress assured me that it was not fish stock but I could not eat it. The main meal was pasta, risotto or gnocchi, I had expected something a little more original. I chose the pasta which was very nice but quite a small portion.
If you are vegetation or booking as a surprise for a vegetarian, check the menu first and be prepared for small portions.

• Visited August 2014