“Still good!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Wiltshire
“Still good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

My wife and I booked into The Crown Hotel for a long weekend, as she is 6 months pregnant and we wanted our last break away before the arrival! We have stayed there before, about 5 years ago.
Lyndhurst has gone down hill unfortunately but thankfully the hotel hasn't, it fact it has undergone a make over in some places.
The hotel kindly ungraded us from a superior room to the Evergreen Suite. I would recommend that you do not book this room, it is need of a serious makeover, dark with low ceilings and felt uncomfortable.
Thankfully the hotel moved us, without fuss, to a superior room and this was very nice (although bathroom could do with a refit).
We ate in the brasserrie in the hotel both nights and it has a nice atmosphere in pleasant surroundings. The food is also of a very good quality.
The breakfast was good and also served in the very nice garden restaurant.
The other thing worth pointing out is the staff were always very helpful and happy to assist (particularily Emilia).
If you are staying here and want to eat outside the hotel I would recommend booking early as we had real trouble getting a reservation on Saturday evening.
Overall a very good 3 star hotel, good food, good location for the New Forest and excellent staff. It is in need of some more updating but I understand this is ongoing.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SamandPhilip
Hannah_Porter22, Manager at The Crown Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to write this review. Really glad you enjoyed your stay here at The Crown Hotel, and thank you for giving us the opportunity to offer you an alternative room during your stay. As you can appreciate all of our bedrooms are individualy decorated with many of our regular guests having prefered bedrooms.

From all the Staff at The Crown Hotel we look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely
Andrew Moody

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2011

As a group we have been returning to the Crown Hotel every year for a weekend in February since the year 2000. Usually we fill the hotel and this year [year no 12] there were 67 of us, all friends and family members. The Hotel is brilliant, nothing is to much trouble, the staff always make us so welcome we feel like old friends, the food and service is excellent. The Manager Andrew, with Tracey, goes out of his way to help me to plan and organize the entertainment, menus etc plus other special touches that make such a difference to a large group, each year the experience gets better and better, hence the fact that everyone wants to come back.
In summary I cannot recommend enough this hotel, the fact that for twelve years we we have been returning say's it all, we have already booked for next year my only worry is that will we have more requests than there are rooms available, come on Andrew get that extension going! Thanks to all staff see you next year.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank janethiscutt
Hannah_Porter22, Manager at The Crown Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Many thanks for all your lovely comments. I think it's safe to say that myself and the staff always look forward to your visits and enjoy them just as much as your many guests!

On behalf of The Crown Hotel team we are thoroughly looking forward to welcoming you all again in 2012,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2011

I/We always stay here when we come to the New Forest- despite the fact that there is a lot of choice for accommodation. I/we do because The Crown is full of friendly staff, serves excellent food (as well as being nearby to other good eateries) and provides good rooms.

I/We come back each year in February regularly as well as other times for other occasions. An excellent hotel

James and Pat

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stonesfordf
Hannah_Porter22, Manager at The Crown Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2011
Many thanks for your lovely comments. It is always very pleasing to hear when our guests have enjoyed their stay with us in The New Forest.

On behalf of all the staff and myslef we look forward to your next visit.

Thatcham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

My husband, son and myself had a very relaxing weekend break at the Crown Hotel. We were very impressed with the food, the rooms and the staff. We enjoyed sitting and chilling beside the open fire in the lounge on a cold afternoon and have returned home very relaxed.
After a busy start to the new year our stay has recharged the batteries and we hope to return in the warmer weather.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jobassist1
Hannah_Porter22, Manager at The Crown Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We take all our feedback seriously both positive and negative. As a team, we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. It would be lovely if you could return in the summer when the weather is better and there is much more to do around the forest, although winter is lovely because of the log fires as you said! We're so pleased that your batteries are re-charged and ready for a promising 2011.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the sunny months,

hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

We married on the 28th December 2010. Just would like to highly recommend The Crown Hotel, Lyndhurst as a wedding venue. The Manager and Wedding co-ordinator plus staff, made our day the best we could have hoped for. We had guests who were thrilled with the whole day and the food was excellent. 25 rooms were booked to accommodate some of our guests and nothing was too much trouble.
This is a 3 star hotel with at least 5 star service. A big thank you to them.
Mr. & Mrs Gilbert

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank duchess1Hampshire
Hannah_Porter22, Manager at The Crown Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Mr and Mrs Gilbert

We are so thrilled that we could make your wedding day and your stay so comfortable for you and your guests. It was our pleasure to provide you with our best service to ensure that your special day went without any problems. We hope that you will consider coming back to stay, maybe for your 1 year anniversary?

Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2011

Kaiya, you wrote the review for the last hotel we stayed at, so, it’s only fair I write this one.
I’d stayed at the Crown Hotel in Lyndhurst each year during the latter part of December from 2000 until 2006, so, the thought of going back 4 years later pleased me.
I always liked the hotel. It had stairs and, as I live in a bungalow, stairs fascinated me; I would first run up them and then down them, much to the annoyance of my owners. I should also add that there is a lift for those of you not as fond of stairs as me. In those days, I was allowed to sit under the tables in the bar provided I wasn’t a nuisance and, as I’m not keen on being separated from Jan and Ray, I found it comforting. Also, as it was the time of Christmas parties, it was always a bit raucous, but never too noisy. The food must have been plentiful, because there was always a doggie bag to supplement my breakfast the following morning.
I always found the rooms comfortable and warm and, being the New Forest, there were plenty of choices of places to walk. For that last minute stretch before turning in for the night, “Bolton’s Bench” is situated just at the end of the High Street. For the more ambitious of you, “Pig Bush” is another good long walk, especially as you end up at “Beaulieu Halt Railway Station where your master and mistress can revitalise themselves with a pleasant lunch (no Kaiya, I’m not always thinking of my stomach, and I’ll thank you to keep your thoughts to yourself).
Over the intervening years, the hotel has undergone total redecoration and updating. The biggest change being the restaurant, now incorporated in the bar and, I’m no longer allowed to keep my owners company in there!
That apart, the rooms are still comfortable and well appointed, in character with the age of the building, although a mini fridge to help keep our food fresh wouldn’t go amiss. (Andrew, take note.)
Dinner is now served in the restaurant/bar and not in the small, cosy, room opposite. However, the quality is still as good as ever. Last night’s beef, chicken or pork, that Jan and Ray couldn’t finish, still make a tantalising top up to our breakfast the following morning.
To close, I would like to add that, the staff was all friendly to Kaiya and me and would always come from behind the desk to fuss us. Tracey in particular remembered me from all those years ago and came to give me a big hug. I hope we go back again in 2011, but when it’s warmer (Jan and Ray take note).

Hetty

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hettybarker
Thank you Hetty, for such a wonderful review of our hotel! it's always a pleasure having you and Kaiya to stay, especially as your owners are so well behaved! We have had many changes here since your last stay in 2006 I can imagine, the biggest being our Brasserie which is now our full time restaurant for residents and non residents alike (We're sorry that this means you wont be allowed in there any more!) at the front of the hotel.

We are looking forward to your next return visit to The New Forest and hope that the weather is better for you then.

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for one night just before Christmas. We found the room and bathroom to be clean and reasonably sized, but a bit dated and not very inspiring. Breakfast was a continental buffet plus cooked breakfast to order and was pretty good.
Staff were very helpful and friendly. The hotel is conveniently located with easy access to shops and restaurants and a private car park at the back.
All in all, not a bad place to stay, but it was a bit overpriced and we'd probably try elsewhere if we were staying in Lyndhurst again.

• Stayed December 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank eeeve
Many thanks for your review. We take all our feedback seriously and are very grateful for your time.
As a team we were very pleased to hear that the service and breakfast during your stay was good and helpful and that overall you had a nice stay here with us at The Crown Hotel. Please accept our apologies on this occassion for your room not meeting your expectations, we are currently re-decorationg all of our bedrooms.
We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future, when we are further on with our refurbishment.

Andrew Moody
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,530 reviews

Been to The Crown Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!