“A gem”

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“A gem”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This is a pub with lots of character, very busy, but service is quick and the turnover of people is fast. My family ordered the substantial ploughmans and I wished I had too. As I didn't want such a big lunch I ordered the ham soup and was so disappointed. It was a bowl of large diced vegetables in tasteless liquid with no ham.Situated in a good area of the New Forest it's worth another visit.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Ken H

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fire, friendly and filling.”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We managed to stumble across this little gem accidentally whilst on a drive through the new forest, and after looking through the reviews on here previously, we were very happy we did!

For a Saturday it was quiet with only a few punters in from the local area, and this added to the trip! The staff were extremely friendly, happy to chat, along with the customers too.
There was a fire burning welcoming us in from the cold too which added to it all.

There were 4 ciders on top including 1 cloudy (pheasant plucker) which I found lovely and sweet. They also have a number of bottled ciders. I'm not really a beer drinker but they had a large number on tap and again a fridge stocked full of them and other alcopops and a wide range of spirits.

Now, we had come here for a late lunch early dinner and so had left a hole in our stomachs. But no amount of fast g could prepare us for the amount of food that was going to be placed in front of us. I had a pork and sage pie, whilst my girlfriend had sundried tomato fishcakes. The portions were absolute humungous...and cooked to perfection. Finishing off with the last bit of sticky toffee pudding crowned a brilliant trip to the royal oak.

The only possible improvement that could be made was that whilst there chairs were comfy, maybe a cushion on them wouldn't go amiss. But this is the smallest little thing at a pub that is otherwise by far the best I have been to in a very very long time.
The prices are beyond reasonable, cheap almost, you will leave feeling like a stuffed turkey, and if you're not driving the wide selection of local tipples that are available to try might just leave you nattering on in a merry state...

Well worth a visit I couldn't recommend it more.

1 Thank Al_Gordon_89
Guernsey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Perfect Pub”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stopped here on a sunny winters day after walking in the forest, sat in the front room with sun streaming in had a lovely pint of ale and a cheese ploughmans which consisted of generous portions of local cheeses, everyone very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended.

Visited December 2013
Northampton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great beer.Excellent Ploughmans”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Planned a 15 mile circular walk starting/finishing from Rockford Common with a lunch stop at The Royal Oak.

Visited December 2013
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A very warm welcome”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

After a setting off on a chilly but sunny late november morning on foot at 10:00 am from the high corner inn we made it to the Royal Oak at just after 11:30. Feet tired and cold faces we stepped into a warm open fire and an even warmer greeting from behind the bar. A pint of rich warming ale was needed and 'the devils backbone'' provided this in being a dark full bodied porter and an aspell was the wifes tipple. On scanning the locally sourced menu my wife plumped for the smoked trout pate and for me it had to be the Ham and Barley broth, both with home baked granary bread. The ale, food and service was 100% and I would recommend this local country pub to everyone, but as it was packed solid by 13:00 pm I think everyone already knows. Thankyou and see you very soon.

Visited November 2013