“Not quite there but on its way”

The Sir Walter Tyrrell
Ranked #40 of 51 Restaurants in Lyndhurst
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Single Site Operator
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Went here untainted by previous reviews, my and a friend's family had been walking locally and, with our car park a stone's throw for the pub, decided to stay for dinner rather than head straight home.

I was actually pretty disappointed by my meal, the specials board had a couple of french classics on it and I went for the cassoulet, my wife for the boeuf bourguignon. Our friends the same.

Now I'm no foodie, but I do have a degree of expectation in terms of quality if I'm paying £12 for a peasant stew which advertises "Toulouse" sausages, I expect a coarse herby sausage intended to helpo flavour the dish, not something with the appearance taste and texture of a prepacked cocktail sausage from the cooked meats aisle in a supermarket. The food was delivered in a portion sized oven dish and I burned my tongue on the first mouthful.

I would hate to defame any cooking staff by suggesting that a microwave had been used in the preparation of this meal but it certainly had a "ready meal" feel about it.

On the flip side, the ladies' meals were outstanding enjoyed by them and from the taste I had too.

The kids (being of various shapes and sizes) meals were something of an eclectic mix but all looked to be of good quality and from a menu that didn't seem to have the usual pub dependence on a deep fat fryer.

Desserts too were enjoyed by all although the menu was very "cake" based which can be quite heavy after a big main.

The pub itself was quiet (this was late afternoon), there was a large party at the other end of the pub but otherwise only a couple of tables occupied. The staff were friendly and helpful and there was a sizeable and well equipped outside play area for the kids.

The beer quality was excellent, with a nice variety of ales on tap.

The service was a little slow, however we were unfortunate in that the party table had all ordered their food en-masse immediately before us, so the staff might be forgiven for struggling to get out meals out as quickly. We were in no rush and enjoying the beer so it wasn't a problem.

There was also a minor hiccup, the kids table was cleared whilst they were outside and before our meals had been delivered, removing all of their drinks and one coat. An honest mistake, but I wonder what the waitress might have been looking at on the four occasions that she'd walked past the table whilst they were there.

In summary, my disappointing meal (which perhaps was down to my menu choice anyway) aside, a very pleasant experience in a very pleasant environment).

The service, whilst friendly and courteous, was lacking in a little nous and I could imagine a busier time when some of their systems might get tested to destruction.

We will go again if in the area, but might check the number of cars in the car park before hand.

There are newer reviews for The Sir Walter Tyrrell

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We went (on recommendation) with friends before our walk in the New Forest on Easter sunday. Greeted by a very grumpy landlord, we ordered what has to be the worst sunday lunch ever. 'Roast beef' that was grey/beige, savoy cabbage with a very bitter taste, along with peas and carrots and gravy. All tepid and very inedible. An insult to charge paying customers £8.95.

2  Thank kiely40
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Last weekend I took my young family to the Sir Walter Tyrrell for a pub meal. We were delighted with the food and service. Decent hot food served by friendly staff. The fact there was a large play area for the kids was a big bonus! Highly recommended.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We have recently had two lunches at the pub, one on a Sunday with friends and one on Easter Monday with a relation.
In both cases we had a thoroughly enjoyable meal served by friendly and helpful staff,

1  Thank Neville T
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

The weather was terrible so we went for a drive and saw the signs for this pub.
It was Easter Sunday, and we weren't sure if we could get a table. They were very accommodating and showed us to a table. We only ordered from the baguette menu, but the food was very nice and good value. The staff were very friendly and we will try this pub again in the future.