“Awful food, nice location... just go for a drink”

The Sir Walter Tyrrell
Ranked #40 of 51 Restaurants in Lyndhurst
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Single Site Operator
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My partner and I had a couple of drinks here on a Sunday afternoon and we really enjoyed it. Great location, although the only outdoor seating we saw was in the car park. So we decided to try it again and have a meal. We visited on a Friday evening (17th May) and ordered 3 mains. I had the lamb tangible off the main menu and thought it was rather poor and expensive. The meat was chewy, the sauce VERY spicy but nothing great. My daughter had the Rocky mountain chicken off the specials board and it was basically a chicken breast with a piece of bacon laid over the top of it. It came with 3 ice cream scoops of mash, peas, carrots and cabbage (all dried out). It cost over 10 pounds which I thought was a ridiculous price for the quality of the meal. My parter had mint lamb shank off the specials, he said it was nice with plenty of meat, but the veggies were very dry. His was the only meal I felt ok about paying the price for. Having said all this, the staff were very friendly and helping and the location is lovely. The interior decor is old fashioned and dark, but I would recommend it for a drink, but not food.

1  Thank SandraB2424
There are newer reviews for The Sir Walter Tyrrell

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The meal we had here was very nice and tasty but it was about £9 per person. It was well laid out with lots of space and the restaurant was well maintained. Would visit again.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went here on Sunday and planned here to have a Sunday roast. We normally go to a good local carvery - so I don't think we are that fussy.
The location is amazing and would return for the play area for our kids and the amazing views - it was also warm inside which is another thing that pubs can get very wrong by having there rooms too cold, but it was nice and cosy.
I am sorry to say the food was awful - I saw the usual half a roast chicken ect on the standard menu and thought thats bound to be reheated ect so I went for the pork roast off the specials chalk board -so did my 2 kids.
It was reheated (just about) sliced pork and potatoes that had been reheated after been in the fridge for about a week. The carrots were chewy and the peas not cooked - the only good bit was the cabbage. My kids ate the potatoes and thats all we had as it was so awful.
Is it so hard to cook a roast on a Sunday for your customers? Waste of such a lovely location and pub.

3  Thank confusedmumEngland
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stopped whilst on 6 mile walk. Had two excellent ploughman's, wine, coffee and lovely cake with clotted cream. Ploughman's is often a disappointment and not cheap but this will mean we will return. Pub has some nice ales, great service but is a bit shabby and feels like it needs a clean and touch up. Despite that looking forward to a return visit.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We had an evening meal here the evening before we sailed from Southampton. It is a very busy pub restaurant with plenty of parking. The entrance has a very effective cattle grid which requires a very slow approach. The meals are reasonably priced and well cooked. Staff are friendly. It is a Free House and sells lots of different ales and beers. Very quaint interior.