“Disappointed (Sept. 2012)”

White Rabbit
Ranked #33 of 51 Restaurants in Lyndhurst
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hayes, United Kingdom
“Disappointed (Sept. 2012)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Went with the wife for an evening meal, had the starter which was very nice, then waited over an hour (4 pints) for our main meal, it was nice. I can only think that the chef was an apprentice working on his own. Just O.K. After complaining the bill was reduced by 3 pints and a large white wine.

Christchurch, Dorset
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

What a disappointing experience! Looking forward to a meal in a New forest pub and from the outside all looked good. Inside I was surprised at the size of the pub as it was very extensive. The main probelm lay in the fact there were only 2 staff behind the bar and 1 trying to serve all the meals. Tables were not properly laid with missing cutlery, napkins and condiments; one table had cleaning fluid and a cloth left on it; 2 meals on the September specials menu had been crossed off as unavailable (another 9 days yet in September!) and a 25 minute wait for my salad to appear. Around me guests were being told that there was no bearnaise sauce for the steak, there was no vanilla ice cream for another family. My food was expensive for what it was and did no tlive up to expectation. A 20 minute wait before my plates were cleared and there was no offer of dessert or coffee. This is such a shame as the restaurant has such potential. Unless they address the issue of staffing, things are not ong to improve.

Kingskerswell
“Could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Food ok but over priced. Pub quiet when we called. Staff Friendly, pub ok but only one real ale available. Won't rush back.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at White Rabbit, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Paul B,

Thank you for your comment, your feedback has been noted and will be used in future reviews for the White Rabbit.

Regards
Chef & Brewer
New Forest National Park Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Very poor and over priced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

We ate here on Saturday night for a friend's birthday. We had to pre order our food for some reason and when we sat down to eat they came out with some excuses for not having some of the items - for sea bass risotto "we have sea bass but no risotto", some lame excuse about not being able to cook venison medallions and then for my salad (after serving the rest of the table with their orders) having no eggs to go on the salad, although they had one to go on my friends wild boar burger. Why pre order when you don't bother getting the food??
My salad had two chicken skewers, cold bacon, cold greasy croutons and a plate of leaves which cost me £10. My wife had a fish pie that looked like it had been supplied by the local school kitchen, I believe this was also about £10. Starter was prawns (5 of them) with chili sauce for £5.39 (£1 per prawn). Drinks were also way too expensive, for example old rosie cider which you can get in my local (only 4 miles from Lyndhurst) for £3 a pint was £4.25. Obviously this place exists to extort money from passing tourists, the fact that it was almost empty on a saturday night was pretty telling. Hopefully many tourists will read this and not get caught out, there's plenty of nicer places around

Southampton
“Disappointment at The White Rabbit, Lyndhurst”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

My family & I ate at The White Rabbit last night (6Sept) and we had a terrible experience. The service (or lack off!) and the food was just awful and I wish I had read some of the reviews first. Anyway it took at least an hour for the over-priced, sub-standard food and even the simple desert of chocolate fudge cake & cream took 45mins to arrive and we had to ask for it!
I have never written a review before but on this occasion I felt I must warn others that there are certainly better places to eat in Lyndhurst, such as The Swan!! We have eaten there many times and have never been as disappointed as we were last night.