“Awful place”
Review of Acres Down Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lyndhurst
Acres Down Farm
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I'm not an avid tripadvisor reviewer but I felt I had to help people avoid this place at all costs.

I can see that previous reviewers have commented on the rudeness of the owners of this campsite but, as this is subjective, I took them with a pinch of salt. However, I can't stress how correct these reviews are. As one of several examples, we were both watched entering and exiting the shower (I use the term loosely as it was more of a damp cupboard) to ensure we complied with the owners strict regulations for use and my 38yr old partner was quite literally shouted at and chastised by the (male) owner for returning the shower key to the cleaner rather than directly to him (the cleaner had asked for the key to do his job).

Unfortunately, the abysmal attitude of the owners make them come across as money grabbing misers. The location is lovely, but the way the campsite is run means they smile as they take your money and then quite literally, shut the door in your face.

We are very used to camping, and more than happy to use very basic campsites. However the owners here charge a pitch fee that is equal to or higher than most "high end" campsites. Again as an example, two toilets with one sink are all the facilities for personal hygiene which means in the morning you could be in a queue four deep to wash your hands after using the toilet. I shared a sink with three others to brush my teeth. This would not be a problem if paying basic site fees on a small farm field but they had even opened a second (faeces covered) field to allow more campers in - there were around 40 tents there on the weekend we were there.

Despite the welcoming website, I would urge anyone to avoid this place at all costs. There are many well run campsites around that may be equally as basic but far more welcoming for a camping trip. And they probably don't present you with an idiotic list of rules, regulations and patronising notices either.

Needless to say we did not try the cream tea or advertised breakfast!

2  Thank cfstudent

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I visited this campsite with a few friends. My boyfriend and I were in a 2 man tent and my friend in a transit van, our other friends in small tents. On our arrival my boyfriend was asking for directions to the pub where our other friends had walked but the lady from the house kept interrupting him abruptly in a very rude manner, not even giving him the chance to talk. She had a go at my friend about his van stating she didn’t "want it to look like a gypsy sight" just because it was not a VW camper van. I’d like to point out that I saw a variety of vans on the site so I wonder if she was as rude to them as well just because they didn’t have the ‘right kind of van’ in her eyes.
We thought maybe she was just having a bad day, but the next day my other friend even apologised to her saying sorry if we seem to have upset you, her response was "well don’t keep going on about it" , so we came to the conclusion that she just does not have any manners! How she thinks you can run a business and talk to your clientele as if they are scum baffles me. We are big campers and have nothing but respect for other campers and the countryside and her attitude was appalling

The campsite itself was nothing to write home about, on a slope and covered in dung which would have worried me if there had been children with us.
The toilets were dirty and small for the size of the site.
I have been to a lot of campsites and don’t mind staying somewhere where it’s just the basics. What I do mind is someone thinking they can speak to you like a bit of dung from their shoe and expect to pay for the privilege. I would NOT recommend this campsite, purely as I feel there are good honest, kind people out there running campsites that deserve your money far more than this rude woman ever will!

3  Thank Kassia G
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Disgustingly unhygienic camping field, covered in animal faeces, and dirty toilet facilities too. All of that would be bearable, were it not for the revolting woman, the owner's wife, who is the rudest person I have ever met. When we asked her a simple question, she told our whole party of 10 off like we were naughty school children, even calling my friend a 'gypsy'. We were so shocked that such a revolting person exists in the world that our only rection was stunned silence followed by puzzled giggles! Never before have I come across such a snob with so little reason to be! Avoid this place at all costs! A tripadvisor rating of 1 is far too high!

4  Thank RMozzy
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had heard this this was a lovely place for cream teas, but we didn't get the chance to find out. Having travelled for 30 minutes, we arrive and sat down. Our two children (aged 4 & 2) wanted ice cream which they sold in the farm shop. My wife and I wanted a cream tea, but was this possible, no! Incredibly, the owner said we could not eat the ice cream at the same table as the cream teas.

There was one other table being used, and I now see why! We promptly left, looked round the farmshop, but decided not to buy ice cream due to the response of the owners. The assistant in the farm shop could not understand it.

So, please do not go here if you want your kids to eat with you, oh and don't try and order ice cream. We went down the road to Minstead Village Shop, and enjoyed ice cream and cream teas!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Harvey W
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We rang up on the friday night to enquire about space as it was the start of the summer holidays and most campsites were booked up. They were happy to accommodate us and didn't ask for payment in advance.
There are two fields, although one is only open on Friday and Saturday nights as the cows live there the rest of the week. The field does slope a bit but it's fine.
It's clearly a family friendly place as there was one large group with lots of children and other families camping there. It's well run by a friendly and reasonable owner (but who won't be messed about). There was no problems with noise after 11pm.
The facilities were clean and jam buckets were provided so you could take hot water for washing up. We didn't try the showers but I think they were in the farmhouse. If you ordered the night before (and people were turned away if they didn't!) then you could have a cooked breakfast in the morning between 8am and 9am. We didn't try the cream teas as we weren't there long enough.
The campsite is also right next to the cycling routes and it's a reasonably easy ride into Lyndhurst where there is a Budgens. The farm shop on site also sold disposable bbqs, meat, veg and salad and ice creams!

Room Tip: Arrive early to get a good spot
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Having seen the claim "Probably the best cream teas in the New Forest" and the testimonials on the website, we decided to give this place a try. Lovely location in the heart of the New Forest with lovely tea gardens. We were a party of 3 who wished to order two cream teas to share and an extra tea. Despite the fact that the total bill would come to more than the minimum cost of £2.70 per person, we were told that each member of the party had to meet the minimum cost requirement so the third member of the party had to order tea & cake at £2.70 even though the cake was not required. Presumably, had we refused to accept this, the third member of our party would have been asked to leave. With hindsight, we should either all have left at this point or all ordered tea & cake at significant loss to the business.

Each cream tea came with two small scones, two types of jam, one of which was homemade, and copious quantities of either spray or whipped cream which had been highly aerated. The homemade jam was very liquidy and difficult to keep on the scone and the cream virtually tasteless. After the cream tea we were invited to choose a slice of cake which came as part of the deal and seemed a bit superfluous after eating a cream tea. Most people seemed to be taking it home to eat. On a more positive note, there was plenty of piping hot tea provided and 5 delicious cakes to choose from.

I would expect that a cream tea rated as "Probably the best cream tea in the New Forest" would come with decent size scones and clotted cream as a minimum. I would also expect them to be flexible enough to allow people to share a cream tea. I personally wouldn't go back but if you want to give it a try, my advice is skip the cream tea and go for tea & cake which is good value at £2.70.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Joelaps
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I went in August 2012. Very rude people, particularly the old man who reduced my 15 year old girl to tears by the way he spoke to her about a shower key. He also told her she had to get off the site "by tonight". This bullying was witnessed by some people that we didn't know, who were so disgusted by this vile man that they came to speak to us about him. They got the impression that he doesn't like children as he had been horrid to some one else's children too.

He is certainly not as jolly as the picture on there website.

The camping field is not as flat as the picture on their website indicate.

There were also lots of giant wholesale plastic jam containers in toilets, I don't know where they got all of these from but from memory they appeared to sell home made jam in their shop, but maybe I'm wrong.

There was at least one rusting caravan in the camping field.

There is a big skip / container for rubbish, this also in the camping area, I won't want to be to close this in the summer.

You can't put any glass in the container, you have to take it with you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family