“Beautiful place”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We only spent one night at the hotel, but we were impressed by the fabulous location and charmed by the delightful staff, who went out of their way to welcome us. We had a standard room which was only small, but the bed was very comfortable and we slept very well.
The pool was a good size and there was only one other guest using it at 5.30 when we arrived. Best Western menus take themselves very seriously, but despite the titles, the food was fine and the waitress was happy to fetch us port with the cheese, which was a treat. We will certainly visit the hotel again as it is so ideally placed in the middle of the forest.

1 Thank Bev838

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Recently stayed here to celebrate my sisters birthday,there were 8 of us and we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay,reception staff were very friendly,the rooms were big enough for a family of four and not too hot like so many hotels are! The floorboards are rather creaky and the corridors a bit tired looking but this is not a huge problem.Dinner was very good as was breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Crooky2014
UK
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed for a two night stay for a little break before the Easter holidays. It was located just outside the town of Lyndhurst, just a few minutes walk away. The staff were very helpful and the rooms had everything we needed. Two small grips, a couple of light bulbs had gone and needed replacing and the noise insulation is not very good. We could hear people in the corridor all the time and the floor boards were very creaky. We found that there were lots of stairs to negotiate as it seemed that we always had top walk over the kitchen so had to go up and down stairs on the same route!
The food was as expected in this type of hotel. We did have to wait some time one afternoon when we ordered coffee on the verandah but overall it did us fine. The swimming pool was a plus as was the internet connection.
Beware, they do have weddings and functions here and although we didn't experience any whilst we were there, I imagine it could be noisy if one was being held there.

Room Tip: As far away from the function room as possible.
4 Thank Jonathan W
England based
Reviewed April 16, 2014

As you walk through the door you are made welcome and that is consistent throughout the hotel. The staff are well trained, professional and friendly, a great combination well executed. I would highly recommend dinning in the hotel as the kitchen produces some excellent plates of well cooked and thoughtfully presented food. You have the wonderful countryside to enjoy through the day with the added benefit of an indoor pool and sauna to relax in before dinner. If you are going to the New Forest consider staying at Forest Lodge you won't be dissapointed.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms are to a good standard
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Scotty011
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I recently stayed at the Forest Lodge Hotel for a conference. My work is in hospitality and I must say that I found the staff in this hotel 100%. They were welcoming, friendly and helpful. Nothing was was too much effort, however little the request. The room was well appointed. The food was tasty and well presented and each day the dishes represented the different styles of cuisine of our group. The chicken pie was particularly good. Breakfast was fabulous. The amenities that we used for training were good. I didn't use the pool, but it looked warm and capable of some serious swimming - I merely enjoyed sitting out on the deck between meetings, viewing the ponies on the heath across the road, while I read papers and sipped coffee. Thank you all involved.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank felixsmall
Reviewed April 6, 2014

It was my first trip alone with my dog and had an excellent time. Very dog friendly, comfy bed, lovely pool and sauna. Dinner was excellent. Lots of nice walks around. Good service, very good internet. My dog was given a sausage for breakfast which he loved.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

1 Thank 600enderu
Southampton
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We visited the Glasshouse on a Travelzoo offer. We were very impressed with the menu, the food and the service. We were a little surprised that there weren't more guests on a Friday night? My wife found it somewhat cool in the restaurant and another guest also mentioned this. I must admit that I am far from being a wine buff and but I do enjoy a bottle of inexpensive red wine. On the restaurants website the wine list suggested that there was a French Cotes du Rhone at a very reasonable £16.75p but I couldn't find a red wine under the price of £19? Was I looking in the wrong place or was I looking at an outdated wine list on the website? Certainly the bottle of Australian Shiraz that I ordered was good but it doesn't seem to appear on website's wine list?
I fully understand that a good wine list is important for a quality hotel like this but some guests like me are happy to settle for a inexpensive "house" wine.
Despite this point the standard of the food and service made this a very pleasant evening out.

1 Thank brianloveday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Bartley Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burley
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to Forest Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!