“A great start to a relaxing weekend.”
Review of Forest Lodge Hotel

Forest Lodge Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The bed was extremely comfortable and clean. The TV was of a good size and the other furniture in the room was good, particularly nice to have a dressing table. There was also an ironing board and iron in the wardrobe which was useful. The bathroom was functional and clean but the shower wasn't very powerful. The Glass House restaurant was also good; the food was delicious and the restaurant itself very classy with helpful and polite staff. The reception staff were helpful, as were the bar staff. We also had a room service breakfast for only a small extra cost of £3 - well worth it to eat at your leisure. We didn't take advantage of the swimming pool but it was open to us from 7am to 10pm. It is also a good location to Lyndhurst's town centre and only a short drive to Southampton.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Forest Lodge Hotel. I am pleased that you found the room to be comfortable with good facilities and that you had an enjoyable meal in the Glasshouse! I hope you will return for another visit in the near future.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Hotel has definitely seen better days and although a bit of a revamp has happened, it really is still very basic. The family room was ok in size but it was extremely hot in the room and opening the windows didn't help at all. The beds are rock hard and the room was very dusty. To top it all off, unfortunately there was a large group of people staying in the hotel (those same boat rowers as mentioned in the previous review!) decided to have a party in their room until 4AM which made our stay pretty disastrous. The acoustics of the hotel is not very good and you can hear pretty much everything, like slamming doors etc.

We paid £299 pounds for 2 adults and 2 children for one night! This did include breakfast and an allowance for dinner but I still think this is rather a lot of money for a very basic hotel. We certainly expected something a bit more for that sort of money.

The food was ok, nothing outstanding but quiet pleasant. The 'dining hall' where we had it was just awful. No atmosphere at all (even with the large crowd of boat rowers) so avoid it and go somewhere else.

Have to admit we were all relieved that we only booked one night in this hotel and were even more relieved to be leaving it behind.

Room Tip: No real tips for this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit at the Forest Lodge, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I will investigate your comments regarding the acoustics and the atmosphere and implement any possible changes that will help to improve these areas. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

So we cashed in a recent red letter day gift added 29 squids to the £170 voucher, headed for the New Forest and booked into the Forest Lodge for two nights B&B. We arrived and both thought the exterior looked a little shabby but it was okay.

Double Room 8 on the ground floor was a good size and well appointed but very dusty with cobwebs swinging from the wall lights like Halloween props. The staff are kind, helpful and very pleasant and the breakfast is simply lovely. Free range eggs, yummy sausages and all perfectly cooked.

There is a nice bar mid hotel that had a very friendly guy behind it last night and a good selection of drinks. Sadly, the layout out of the hotel it confuses me most. There is a restaurant behind closed doors as you walk in so do look out for that, a strange and eclectic bar downstairs that was never open and an in door swimming pool that could only be reached by going upstairs, along a corridor, and then downstairs again? Very odd.

The other problem is the doors. There are fire doors everywhere with closers that slam at the last moment. On our first night there were a party of noisy, idiotic boat rowers (You know who you are) who were up until 4am seemingly slamming doors and having a great time. Oh and there were about 20 very badly behaved kids with their dumb, brain-dead parents which created an over all feeling of havoc and disfunction. Are you calm and relaxed yet? No? Neither was I sadly.

Stupid guests are not the hotels fault I know but being woken this morning to a fire alarm at 5am was the last straw and my blood pressure was back to normal central London levels. Now I know we made a mistake booking in during the school holidays but it's beyond me why these people let their darlings run riot!

In all, nice hotel, nice staff, great breakfast, shame about the guests!

Room Tip: Room 8 is close to the bar but also not a quiet area.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Buddy S
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Further to your review and comments regarding your recent stay at Forest Lodge, we are sorry our guests were disturbed by the fire alarm early in the morning during your stay. It is our responsibility to evacuate the hotel for everyone's safety while we investigate the cause. Thankfully on this occasion, it was a false alarm! The fire department were unable to establish the cause of the false alarm.

As you are now aware, we welcome families and suggest that any future visits you may wish to book be taken in term time.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had booked 3 days DB&B at this hotel.Good location & lovely food in the restaurant but after 8hrs exploring the New Forest you should not expect to come back to a room that has not been cleaned,unmade beds,dirty towels in the bath etc & be told that the housekeepering staff had gone for the day.I was offered £10.14 reduction off of my bill for this poor service & the duty manager seemed quite bemused that I was not happy with that amount. Despite e-mailing the manager & hotel group manager that day I have had no response.Very poor customer service.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

For the price I was charged for my stay here I was expecting a 'wow factor.'

Instead this hotel provides very basic facilities and does not offer value for money. I have traveled widely in the UK and abroad. This is the shoddiest accommodation that I have ever stayed in (that wasn't a student hostel!).

I stayed with my partner over the August Bank holiday weekend. We were charged £157 per night. We wanted to treat ourselves and saw the cost as a 'splurge.'

At first we stayed in room 24, this was on the first floor and over looked an outdoor smoking area. There was a wedding reception and the area was very busy and noisy. We were disturbed by loud conversations that went on until about 2am.

The room was tiny. The decor was very dull looking-lots of beiges, there was no art work on the walls. There was no safe, fridge or mini-bar in the room.

We set up a fan on the floor as the room was hot. We then had difficulty negotiating our way around it as the room was so small.

There was also a strong sewage smell in the room.

The furniture was worn looking and looked very cheap. The wardrobe door did not close properly and the bedside table was not clean.

There were no spare rooms on the Saturday night, so we could only move on the Sunday night. We were moved to room 8 on the ground floor. This was of the same low standard. The room was slightly larger but was dark and cold. The view from the window was of a car park and a bush.

I was woken up about 7am by our neighbours slamming doors and walking up and down the corridor which had squeaky floorboards.

We had the breakfast each morning. The food was extremely mediocre and were small portions. We had to ask several times for more butter when the toast was brought to the table. It wasn't brought to us so we took the butter from an empty table (sorry).

The air con was on too high, making for a really uncomfortable meal.

On the Sunday morning parts of my cooked breakfast was burnt and there was hair on my plate (yum).

We received a 20% discount because we complained. This is insufficient but to be honest we were so fed up at the end of the weekend we just wanted to return home.

We were not offered an upgrade. I did not want to pay anymore money to this hotel. The reception staff that I spoke to over the weekend (Kieran (?) and a young woman) did not apologise when I explained to them what I was disappointed about.

If you are planning on staying at this hotel please check all of the reviews written by others. The same complaints (poor value for money, squeaky floorboards, bland decoration) are a recurring theme over the last few years. The management really should listen and act on this feedback.

When I asked the female receptionist on Monday morning if many people complained about the hotel, she said no. I suggest that she reads the reviews on Tripadvisor.

There is a Tripadvisor sticker on a door in reception.

There were lots of small children staying in the hotel- this may put some folks off.

On a positive note. We had some delicious meals in the Passage to India and the Waterloo Arms. Both places had awesome food, highly professional service and offered value for money. Some things that the Forest Lodge could learn from.

I'm looking forward to a response from the hotel about my comments.

Room Tip: are there any good rooms in this hotel????
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MollFlanders2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Forest Lodge Hotel. I will discuss your issues with the hotel manager and implement further staff training where required. If you wish to discuss your comments further please do not hesitate to contact me at the head office via email cturner@newforesthotels.co.uk.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We've stayed here before and love the location - easy access to all the New Forest. Rooms are of a good size and are kept clean - we had a family room. Food is very good - limited choice at times we found though and staff are freindly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit at the Forest Lodge! I am pleased to read that you had another good stay with us and hope you'll keep coming back!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We had a lovely couple of days in this hotel with our little black lab who was fussed over by everyone (she loves it). Nice area for breakfast/bedtime walkies nearby and great access to all of the New Forest. The hotel staff were friendly, the room was great and on the last night we ate in the Glasshouse restaurant attached to the hotel which was fantastic !. Particularly loved the 'wait and see' sweet. We'll be going back again soon.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Heather_Blether_12

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Forest Lodge! I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you and your black lab back for a visit soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burley
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Forest Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!