“Loved our stay!”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
London, United Kingdom
“Loved our stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a break away from London before the birth of our child. We were so impressed with the hotel and the new spa. We can be quite difficult to please and this hotel did not disappoint. We stayed in a great room- a generous room-Pavillion 2. It was incredibly spacious with a fantastic free standing bath at the end of the room overlooking the new forest. The decor of the whole hotel and our room was sophisticated, country modern. Little touches like- underfloor heating in the bathroom, a real wood fire in our room, detailed routes of walk/runs in a little pack all made the experience. The grounds of the hotel are also beautiful- the setting in the New Forest adds to its charm. The spa was really impressive- the 3 pools- hydro/ lap and hot pool really helped make our stay feel indulgent and a real treat. We enjoyed very good food- a full tea and a meal in the scullery. All the staff were very helpful and friendly! I look forward to going back and next time we'll eat in the formal restaurant and try eating at the kitchen table- any guests can eat their meal in the kitchen and have courses from either restaurant while informally chatting with the chefs- this needs to be booked as it's popular.
It is pricey but we definitely felt it was well worth it!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlielimewood, Manager at Lime Wood Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
Thank you for your comments.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and were impressed with our new spa!

I really hope you come and visit us again soon,

Marketing Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

Unfortunately, I never got to Limewood. We didn't even get off the starting blocks. My 40th birthday is in March and we block-booked, some months ago, four rooms for a weekend's stay. Essentially the rooms we had chosen, together with use of the spa and private dining for two nights, would have meant our party would have spent several thousand pounds. When we asked for a rack rate, or if breakfast could be included, they said that because they were fully-booked every weekend they did not feel they had to offer any kind of discount. This news wasn't unacceptable, what _was_ unacceptable was that they didn't get back to us, and we were reduced to hassling them for a response to our calls and emails. In the end we complained about our treatment but have received no response. Not even a 'we'll look into your complaint.' No hotel, in this economic climate, can afford to be so snotty and dismissive. We have booked with Calcot Manor (each room booking includes breakfast and £40 towards dinner) and they not only responded to us, they treated us with respect. Lime Wood did not.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Collies39
Thank you for your comments and I apologise for my delayed response in getting back to you.

I am so sorry that you experienced this especially when you wanted to book your 40th birthday party with us - I feel honoured that you initially chose Lime Wood to spend such an occasion! I do hope that you have a fantastic time at Calcot Manor in March.

I understand your anger and frustration. Although it has been a couple of months, I will bring this situation up with the team to ensure that we do not see a repeat of this.

Although your view of Lime Wood must be tainted I do hope that you will come and experience what we have to offer. Please email me personally if you would like to come again and I will ensure that your time with us is special.

I hope you can accept our apology,

Marketing Manager
charlie.dyer@limewoodgroup.com
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

WOW! I was truly blown away by my spa experience and I am usually a tricky customer having travelled extensively to spas world wide my expectations are beyond “high”. The building was still being finished however I was aware of this and still wanted treatments. The attention to detail is exquisite and the surroundings are beautiful. I found all the staff very polite and helpful and my therapist was amazing. I generally find it difficult to relax but my therapist was so reassuring and genuinely concerned plus had what can only be described as healing hands, by the time I had my facial I was fast asleep. The level of service reminds me of Asian cultures and I left thinking this surely has to be the best UK spa experience I have had. I would recommend it to anyone especially those who are under the impression the UK can not provide wonderful service. I loved the Raw and Cured cafe and the roof top herb garden is so peaceful but I have to take my hat off to my therapist as she was top rate. I will be visiting again and again. I loved the hotel and it's casual feeling. Its like home away from home. It does not seam pretentious just comfotable and relaxed. The rooms were huge and facilities spot on but it was the Spa that took my breath away.

1 Thank sverigehalmstad
Although it has been a few months since you left your comment I don't want you to think that it has gone unnoticed!

Thank you for your kind words - I have passed them back to the Herb House team who are thrilled when guests love their spa experience!

As you are probably aware the spa is now fully functioning and open 7 days a week. When you have a free minute please pop back and see us!

Marketing Manager
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

We came to Lime Wood after a seriously stressful few months at work and at home, and found it to be the perfect place to recharge our frazzled batteries. The house and local area are both beautiful and once we'd arrived, we didn't get back in our car for 4 days - we simply rambled through the surrounding forest (following walking guides which are very helpfully provided in the rooms and wearing Hunter wellies which you can borrow) and then curled up to read or play Scrabble in front of gorgeous open fires in all the lovely lounge areas dotted around the place. The place is so well-appointed in all sorts of really thoughtful ways, but it managed the really tricky balance of not seeming "over-thought" if you know what I mean.... just really really comfortable and cozy. The newly-opened spa in particular is stunning but it's so popular that you need to book way ahead to get an appointment. We would highly recommend the brasserie style restaurant as well (not so much the fine dining restaurant which we found a bit too grown up and stuffy for our taste) so all in all a wonderful few days away from the real world.

Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from two nights at this amazing hotel. Built in traditional style with superb attention to detail, the hotel is located in a quiet position in the New Forest. The hotel is beautifully furnished throughout and there are ample communal rooms to enjoy. Our bedroom (generous) was very spacious with four poster bed, working fireplace and huge roll top bath. We soon discoverd a recurring theme throughout our stay - the "best" room, the "best" shower, the "best" steak, the "best" massage...

We found all the staff welcoming, friendly and helpful. We enjoyed excellent meals throughout our stay in both the scullery and the main restaurant. A varied menu in the scullery offered plenty of choice for everyone with many local ingredients and the 7 course tasting menu in the restaurant is definately worth trying. The extensive wine list was also very impressive.

The spa was opened last week and is the height of luxury with indoor swimming pool, outdoor hot tub, hydrotherapy pool, sauna, steam room etc - all beautifully finished to the highest specification.

There were a few minor glitches - something incorrect with our food order both evenings, one of our meal's added to someone else's bill (we felt obliged to own up!) and a long delay both evenings and at lunchtime from arriving in the bar to being seated at our table (always at least an hour).

Of course nowhere can be perfect but Limewood is as close as it gets.

Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

Simply amazing!
We took the hotel over for our wedding party and every single one of our guests (circa 50) had so many positive comments on the friendliness of the staff, the fabulous food, the special service and the brilliant location.
Despite a significant 'investment' on our part, the staff team never took our need for value for money for granted making sure we had the most special of times.
You'll have a hard time finding this level of excellence at any of the other 'boutique' country house hotels in the UK.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank all_ar0und_the_world
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

We chose to stay at Limewood for two nights during the middle of a rather hectic trip around Southern England. This was the perfect choice! Every room in the hotel is absolutely gorgeous, while still feeling comfortable. The staff was the friendliest and most helpful I think I have ever come across. We stayed in the main building and were at first concerned about having a room right at the top of the stairs. The room had a small entry area with a 2nd door though, which stopped any sound from the hall from reaching us inside. The bathroom was unreal and the bed was amazingly comfortable. We didn't get a chance to do much exploring, but the immediate grounds of the hotel were very lovely.

We enjoyed breakfast in the Scullery both mornings, 1 dinner in the Scullery , and 1 dinner in the fine dining restaurant. All the food and service was very good, and we particularly enjoyed the tasting menu.

We would definitely love to return here for some quiet relaxation!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,553 reviews
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Lime Wood Hotel? Share your experiences!