“In the premier league!”
Review of Lime Wood Hotel

Lime Wood Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Reviewed August 22, 2013

There's been so much hype surrounding Lime Wood that I was prepared to be disappointed. But I wasn't. It truly is impressive.

The whole feel of the hotel is Chelsea (or Mayfair) meets the New Forest. My partner said the decor reminded him of George, the Mayfair club. Let's just say it's an updated version of the country hotel that's also relaxed and very comfy.

Our first-floor Forest Suite was a corner room in the main house. It was luxurious, with two TVs, two wardrobes, and a seriously good bathroom. A few things kept it from being perfect. First, the hotel allows guests to park outside the hotel's entrance, which was directly under our room. A car alarm went off in the middle of the night, and it wasn't pleasant. I think the hotel should require guests to keep their cars in the car park, which is a bit away from the hotel. The other side of the room looked over a terrace, where people sat with their drinks. So there's a bit of a privacy issue with the room (no. 2), as people can definitely see in. You can hear them, and they you. The final issue was the lack of air conditioning. There should have been cross-ventilation, as it's a corner room. But the windows couldn't be opened more than about three inches (for safety and security reasons, I assume), so the room felt a little bit stuffy during the heatwave.

We had dinner twice in the Hartnett Holder restaurant and enjoyed it. It's good value for a restaurant headed by a celebrity chef. Service was knowledgeable, friendly, and attentive.

Breakfast was similarly good. All of the food we had in the hotel tasted fresh and homemade. We even came across one of the chefs foraging in the forest.

Speaking of the New Forest, it's a quintessentially English one -- lovely and unthreatening. Some of the clearings look like they could be putting greens. There are wild ponies, but they're so used to people that they don't even acknowledge your presence. Nothing dangerous at all here except for deer ticks!

I had a couple of treatments at the spa, and they were both excellent.

We had an issue with our bill. The restaurant had added someone else's dinner to it. If we hadn't checked, we would have overpaid by about a hundred pounds. The front desk took it off as soon as we pointed it out, but you should definitely check your bill carefully.

We asked the front desk to order us a taxi to take us back to the train station. The taxi was running late, so the hotel offered to drive us in their Range Rover. Little things like that definitely make a difference!

In summary, this is now one of the UK's best country hotels.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,386)

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The last time I visited this restaurant it was absolutely super. So we went with another couple today as I had raved about it so much to them. What a disappointment. The set lunch menu was offering goat liver or tagliatelle for the main - neither of which was very exciting.
On the a-la-carte I noticed goat bolognaise!! That's a first for me. Perhaps this is the new cuisine these experimental chefs think will win them votes!!!! I don't think so. I had the plaice without the cockles and found it quite tasteless and the vegetables we paid £3.50 or was it £3.75 extra for were quite small servings. Why do restaurants do this. With the price you pay for a main meal, couldn't they at least provide a couple of potatoes and carrots etc included!
The two men in the party had the saddle of lamb and it was minute!! And the small portion of potatoes mentioned above didn't help to fill them up!!! The extra spinach - two spoonfuls and gone!
We had a hard time attracting our waitress to get more bread - the barman noticing us more than she did. The manager and staff seemed to spend more time together in the corner than looking round the restaurant to see how their patrons were getting on.
One last gripe - our table was extremely sticky - either put a cloth on it or give it a good scrub!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gail A
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I agree that the hotel seems to discourage non residents. They were not particularly welcoming and I found the chairs ridiculously low to sit and eat at the table in the area they designate for cream teas. Im hardly small at 5ft 9! My husband took me as an extra wedding anniversary treat and we'd planned to take my parents on another outing. Won't be doing that...on to the food...

Never have I been more disappointed when a cream tea is put down! I quite like modern small cakes but these scones were tiny. Smaller than the circle your index finger makes when touching the tip of you thumb. There were only 4 finger sandwiches so your partner couldn't sample the same as you. Choc mousse in a pot was nice and I could tell the jam was homemade but was unfortunately so runny it was impossible to keep on the scone. It was an expensive price for what we got at over £22. I didn't mind paying that if I was wowed...but I was not. I've had much better elsewhere and for less money. My advice to Limewood would be to at least put some more sandwiches on your cream tea...bread is hardly expensive so it won't dent your profit margin!

On the positive side, the grounds are lovely and the hotel is well situated. We had a wander around afterwards and looked into the restaurant. It reminded me of a good pub. Maybe I'm old fashioned at 35 years old, but I'd want table clothes if I was having dinner at a 5star hotel, or even lunch. I'll be returning to other 5 star hotels in the New Forest like Chewton Glen.

Sorry, Limewood, I really wanted to enjoy a new find and left deflated and disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CherryJack
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We've just had a lovely weekend staying at the Lime Wood.

The hotel and the grounds are gorgeous. The room was beautifully decorated and very comfy. The bar was great, with fantastic staff who whipped up amazing cocktails and introduced us to a few new spirits. The food was delicious, and the service was efficient and friendly. The spa facilities are lovely, but there were quite a few children when we were there, so I was unable to swim.

Breakfast is delicious.

I had a spa treatment, that didn't go quite to plan, but I was given a discount as a result and still left happy.

The only downside was on checkout when I discovered that my spa discount hadn't been applied and I had also been charged for an additional treatment that I didn't have. We were also charged for an extra breakfast. This was eventually sorted out. I think this is probably down to the fact that you don't actually sign the bill, as you might at other hotels, they just charge it to your room and you're set. So I would definitely recommend that you check your bill on check out.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have visited this hotel twice recently, once when they were holding an outdoor bbq with live music and once for a cream tea. On the positive side the hotel is beautiful with lovely grounds. On a less positive note we found the staff rather unfriendly although to be fair they did warm up after a while. Maybe the hotel do not want to encourage non-residents.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank FMH_10
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We was lucky enough to book this hotel last minute, so got a great deal on the best suite! From the moment we arrived was were greeted but young, professional, highly trained staff. The hotel had a very relaxed feel as soon as you walked in.
Our suite was fabulous, 5 start plus. The bed was the most comfortable bed we had ever slept in, which lead to a great nights sleep. The room was fully equipped with toiletries, large mini bar, ipad etc.
We had afternoon tea when we first arrived - a must have!
We had dinner in the restaurant which had a relaxed ambiance; it delivered great food and great service, the staff could not have been more helpful. Dress was smart/casual. Very reasonably priced (food and drink)!
We didn't use the spa but we did pop in and have a look, it looked great and well equipped. The outdoor spa area would be great in the summer.
If you like first class service and you want to treat yourself - its a must!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have read some of the negative reviews and struggle to imagine we stayed in the same place. Of all the hotels I have ever stayed in this is my new favourite. Five star service and friendly without being stuffy. The atmosphere in the restaurant Hartnett Holder is relaxed and the food is refined, hearty and rustic. The spa is a cosy watery paradise. We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Blunt2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in Woodlands
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Lime Wood Hotel? Share your experiences!