“Amazing place to visit!”
Review of Lime Wood Hotel

and 1 more site!
Lime Wood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Amazing place to visit!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went to Lime Wood today for a cream tea as my Mothers Day Treat from my two daughters and niece! We live locally and have tried out many of the local places for cream tea but this beats them all. We spent a very enjoyable two hours and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. The only thing I was slightly disappointed with was the fact that we asked for the tea pot to be refilled and we were charged for another pot of tea. As the bill was £100 for the 4 of us I thought they could of offered us 2 pots of tea in that price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank candyhuxham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I got taken here as a surprise by my boyfriend for my 30th birthday and had an amazing stay. The location was beautiful, the room was perfect (which a ipod playing gentle music as we entered, our own log burner and lights that came on on entering the bathroom) and the food was lovely. I loved the feel of the restaurant too as the service was perfect and we did not feel rushed. Had a lovely corner table too, so we could snuggle up together inbetween courses!

The next day, we had the day in the spa, which was fantastic! Definatey the nicest spa I have ever been in. The hydro pool, overlooking the forest, was amazing!

Had a wonderful, memorable stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Limewood

This weekend’s stay at Lime wood called to mind a recent visit to Babington House which at the time we thought was pretty good however if you’re trying to decide between the two this wins hands down every time. Lime wood is a Georgian mansion faithfully constructed in the beautiful New Forest in a parkland setting –it has been designed and decorated with such a discerning attention to detail at that you would never know that it wasn’t just a very well restored Georgian house. It took us about 90 mins to reach from London which is entirely close enough to travel to and from of a weekend.

Our room was an entry level room in the main house. We changed our mind and decided to stay there at the last minute having been booked into the pig. We paid £345 the room was a decent size, in the main house as opposed to in a separate wing, and had a fantastically generous marble bathroom. There were several nice touches, like free glossy magazines, and i especially liked the pot of tridosha lip balm left on my pillow the night before we left- which made the prospect of leaving a little easier.

On the Saturday we visited nearby Lymington which was a nice market town (nothing special, in fact i think Lyndhurst which is the town local to the hotel was probably a little nicer), and then Beaulieu Motor Museum. There is plenty in the area to see and do for a weekend away – and you could even do a day trip to the Isle of Wight given your proximity to the ferry. The spa which we used in the late afternoon is a nice size, with plenty of vistas out into the woods very clean facilities and not at all tired – in fact it was in perfect condition.

The only drawback was perhaps the food. My husband and I are self professed foodies, we adore a good restaurant and don’t mind paying accordingly for the best. Our bill at Hartnett Holder & Co came to £169 with a £44 bottle of wine. It seemed a bit toppy in honesty given the food- though solid was far from anything special. The irony was that one of the reasons we changed to stay at lime wood from the pig was so we could experience the restauarant which was booked out for everyone except hotel guests so we were understandably excited. The cooking was as solid as you would expect from someone at the top of her game such as Harnett – but the styling of the menus – and the simplicity of the menu was dumbed down and kind of left us both wanting more we had lobster spaghetti – gamon broth, the venison and pig cheeks none of which were especially extraordinary. Same went for the room service and breakfast – they were fine – but nothing out of the ordinary. The meal we had for Sunday lunch at the pig was in comparison far more enjoyable...

Regardless of this point we wouldn’t hesitate to stay at Limewood again. I think its probably one of the nicest country house hotels of that ilk in the UK that we have experienced.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HotelMavenLondon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

What can I say about our trip to limewood........amazing. The spa, the staff, the rooms and most of all the food. We stayed for 2 nights and didn't want to leave as everything was first class. When we booked we thought the breakfast was pretty expensive but wow it was great. The one very very minor negative was the plug socket coming away from one of the walls in our room, I also think the changing rooms could have done with some fresh flowers. We are already booking our return later this year....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at Lime Wood for one night almost a year ago - the weather was unfortunately torrential rain the whole time, but I can imagine it would be lovely in the Summer. The grounds are extensive, and in the room guests are provided with small pocket maps of nice walks around the New Forest from the hotel - thought this was lovely touch, which we made use of even in the rain - the hotel provides you with Hunter wellies and umbrellas. The spa treatments were great, perfect for a romantic getaway and the swimming pools were lovely. There's a billiard room in the basement, which would be great for a group of friends.

My only niggle that stops me from giving Lime Wood 5 stars, is that the food wasn't that impressive given the hotels star rating and the staff seemed very young and shy. This may have changed since we were there in April 2012, so don't let this put you off. I have read that Angela Hartnett has taken over the restaurant recently - that will make a big positive difference to the dining experience. The fitness room is small, but empty when we were there - good high quality equipment.

We stayed in one of the cosy rooms, which was perfectly comfortable and had a lovely bathroom and complimentary toiletries. I had informed the hotel that we were staying to celebrate my boyfriends birthday, so I had arranged a bottle of champagne and canapes to be delivered to the room, which were nice. I was disappointed that his birthday wasn't acknowledged in anyway - an upgrade would have been nice seen as it was a Sunday night and very quiet or a complimentary dessert for dinner. Whereas when we ate at The Pig (also in the New Forest) the following day, they said happy birthday when we arrived and gave him a complimentary dessert with Happy Birthday written on it. That was lovely!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I've been to Limewood many times. The hotel, spa and restaurants are all excellent. It's not a cheap place to visit but that's expected at this kind of hotel. I would particularly recommend checking out the Herb House spa. The hydropool and outdoor jacuzzi are particularly good, I've been out there in the dead of winter and it is very, very relaxing after a long day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rich B
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Went for drinks in bar,bit pricey but nice,good cocktail menu and nice nibbles of nuts and olives came with.
Quite a quiet bar but looked lovely,really nice toilets (for me this reflects the quality of the venue usually) and friendly service,but the service could have been warmer.
Lovely looking place,did not stay so can not comment on rooms etc but am sure it would be lovely!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank americatrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 3 in Beaulieu
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to Lime Wood Hotel? Share your experiences!