“Customer Service: No Idea!”
Review of Lime Wood Hotel

and 1 more site!
Lime Wood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
London
“Customer Service: No Idea!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I make it clear from the outset that I have neither stayed at, or dined at, Lime Wood, I had booked up a suite for a two night getaway with my husband. We wanted some peace and quiet before our second baby is due in February and we were leaving our toddler at home! Initially, before booking, I emailed the hotel with some enquiries about facilities, offers, etc. as I would do with any five star hotel. After waiting three days and receiving no response I decided to reserve a room anyway.

I then sent an email highlighting some queries and requests for my room including a little chocolate on my pillow at turn down. After chasing up a respoonse to this email via telephone some days after I received a punchy response listing yes or no to my requests. Generally everything was punctuated with 'if you pay'.

They just didnt seem to understand the five star service.

I am pregnant and I made them aware of the circumstances and the reservations refused to let my husband and I have a treatment each in the spa couples room. it was only after further negotiation that they allowed us to have such use.

Constant haggling and requesting became tedious and rather than feeling like a pleasure the stay starting feeling like a chore. Almost as if they were doing us a favour. We ended up cancelling the reservation and going to Chewton Glen instead which was excellent! We spent almost double what we would have done at Lime Wood and felt it was worth every penny. I sent a feedback email to the general manager and have still not received any response! Almost 3 weeks have past and I dont think I'll hold my breath!!! What a pity?!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank LondonWaterBaby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
West Sussex
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had lunch in the Scullery, an interesting experience. The menu was unusual, featuring dishes such as Heinz beans on toast through to rather expensive steak from a local farmer. We had Goose hash, with a fried egg and bubble and squeak. It was OK but not exceptional. Desserts were good. Main problem with the Scullery is the noise; plain walls and nothing soft to deaden the sound. Staff were young and enthusiastic.

North Devon
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed in the Forest Suite and couldn't fault it, yes it's expensive to stay here when you factor in having spa treatments, dinner etc but the facilities and service were exceptional.
The spa and treatments were a delight, we had dinner in the informal dining area the first night which was fine but dinner in the restaurant the second night was outstanding! I ate the best dessert I've ever had and the waiting staff were absolutely fantastic.
The only quibble was that breakfast wasn't included in the room price but a great two days all round and we were sad to leave.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TravellerNDevon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Our night at Limewood was amazing and the generous room that we stayed in was amazing. We also used the spa and had treatments and this made our stay that much better. Something that i would reccomend to anyone wanting a fully recharged and relaxed body and mind. Hotel was great and would advise anyone eating in the hotel to go to the scullery rather than the dining room.

1 Thank jamiewhite1978
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Wonderful Sunday lunch in a glorious country house hotel in the New Forest. If your party is 4 or more they will do an individual roast for your table - brought out on a big serving board and carved at the table. We had stunning roast pork and crackling with all the trimmings. The Scullery is a more informal dining room - perfect for our group with a beautiful atmosphere (there is a more formal dining room which would be better for a romantic dinner). Service was fantastic - we just wished we were staying there! We didn't go heavy on the wine as most of us were driving, but the bill was very reasonable considering the quality of the lunch - the roast is £17 per head.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
LONDON
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We decided on the Lime Wood as we were looking to have a relaxing spa and "food" break all in the one stop. I must say the Lime wood totally delivered.

We have just got married last Thursday and we are not going on Honeymoon until the new year so this was to be our celebratory night away.

We arrived at 3pm and check-in was not until 4pm, which we were aware of, so we made use to the Herb Spa. Lovely spa with plenty of towels. Robes and flip-flops available. All areas were very clean, well maintained and beautifuly decorated.

On check- in we were offered a little tour of the areas so we knew where to head for dinner, breakfast etc. Our room had been upgraded to a "Generous" room and very generous it was too! Again very clean, a lovely sumptious bed in the middle of the room with a bath tub also in the middle of the room. Huge windows looking over the beautiful grounds. There is nothing about the room you can fault.

When requesting an iron this came within minutes.Which is big plus i can't bear waiting for items like this.

In our room we had been left a fruit platter and half bottle of chilled champers to help celebrate our "Anniversary" so although wrong celebration ...special touch. The card was also written and personally signed by Kenneth the Hotel Manager.

We had a drink at the bar before dinner, we were introduced to the Restaurant manager, Daniel. Professional manner but not as "warm" as other staff.

The menu was very seasonal, offering Game, Goose, Partridge to name a few. All courses, i have to admit, were delicious and not at all average. I enjoyed every bite and so did my husband. Mattias served us our wine and offered us a choice on dessert wine to complement our choice of sweets.

The wine menu is very heavily French and does not offer any New World wines.

This hotel offers plenty of different seating areas all over the ground floor, a well stocked boot room (Hunter wellies in every colour, shape, and size) a well stocked library and some board games.

Breakfast was good too, although, not as impressive as dinner. The poached eggs were a little underdone and too much hollaindaise on the Eggs Benedict. But my husband thought the full English was among the best he has ever had, and the cold meat selection tasted superb. And I believe this was smoked on site.

My only critic to offer the hotel was the Staff do not wear name badges and do not offer their name unless asked so makes it a little impersonal. Also at check-in as the staff do not wear a traditional uniform you are sometimes a little unsure of who is a house guest and who is staff.

They do know your name but rarely use it which is just a little touch I think is missing.

The hotel is by no means cheap but I do believe you get what you pay for here.

Some of the staff are young but mostly very enthusiastic so i guess if were being picky you could say they lacked finesse. I found the staff very eager to help and nothing was too much trouble.

All in all we were very impressed and we will back...just as soon as we can get a babysitter again ;0)

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 30, 2012

A very nice spot for a chill out few days. Excellent spa and 2 good restaurants on site. Pleasant staff who at times felt a little inexperianced. Only let down was the fact our room was outside the main hotel and whilst this adds too privacy on a cold day/night it was a little unpleasant walking back and forward to the spa and hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank matt31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,570 reviews
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Lime Wood Hotel? Share your experiences!