“Mothering Sunday lunch”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Yateley
London, United Kingdom
“Mothering Sunday lunch”
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

We eat regularly at The Ely so it was our first choice for Mothering Sunday lunch and we weren't disappointed. We were a party of 9 and when we booked were advised we'd be in their marquee. This was no problem as we got a nice round table and it didn't feel as crowded. We were warmly greeted on our arrival and shown to our table, where drinks were ordered and we were shown the menu. Half our party chose carvery (a great selection of meats, perfect yorkies and lovely crisp potatoes) and the rest ate off the reduced main menu. The sirloin steaks were cooked to perfection. We didn't feel rushed, all the staff were friendly and helpful (and smiling!). We then had puddings, I can absolutely recommend the Jamaican Ginger cheesecake. Wow! Thanks to all at The Ely for another wonderful lunch, we'll be back soon.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank IJLB
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Ely, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
We are really glad you enjoyed your visit here and that we made your mothers day, one to remember. Hope to see you again soon. Kindest regards. L. Jones.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Cornwall
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My husband and I visited The Ely for a long weekend. We were met with a very friendly receptionist and we were made to feel very welcome. Our rooms were adequate and met all of our needs, the beds were extremely comfortable. Our breakfasts were great and I was impressed with the choice, I had salmon and scrambled eggs, something I wouldn't normally have every day at home, this was a lovely change. The waitress was friendly, helpful and she was very attentive. She made time to talk to us even though she was very busy.
Up until Monday lunch we couldn't fault our stay. We were eating our fantastic haddock and chips, I am a partially deaf lady and I could hear loud shouting with foul language coming from behind the bar. When the shouting subsided a man appeared on the the bar looking quite unhappy. I went up to ask if he was OK as he seemed a little shaken up. He told me that it was his boss who had shouted at him. I did not come here to hear this and I was disgusted that anyone would be talked to in such a way. I have never been anywhere where the staff are talked to in such an obscene manner. We couldn't enjoy our meal after this experience and didn't stay for a dessert or coffee as we were planning on doing. This put dampener on our stay, I would say our breakfast was the best part of our visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Dix1945
LONDON
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed here for one night as the reviews were good, and they are true. The staff would do anything they could to make you feel as comfortable as possible and the bar prices are very good for a hotel, however in the restaurant in the evening it was good chef/bad chef. My wife was delighted with her courses where mine were terrible, i spoke to who i gathered was the restaurant manager regarding my steak and egg (this was part of a mixed grill) and he agreed that they were not acceptable. Instead of taking my plate to the kitchen he picked a plate off of the next table and slid the items onto this while apologising. Five minutes later he returned with my steak and egg. Not good. Breakfast was great, room was good and the prices were good also. We will stay again but we will both ask for the same chef !!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OVERSEE_R45
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Ely, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thankyou for your comments, we are glad you enjoyed your visit and you found the staff friendly, I am sorry about the food issue and can assure you this has been addressed. We look forward to seeing you again. Luke Jones, General Manager
Cornwall
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

We arrived for a 5 night stay. Staff were all really helpful. Breakfast was great. Fresh fruit. Criossant. Pain au chocolate.Muffins. Cereals. Fruit juices. Yoghurt. Followed by full English if you could manage it! Waitress and waiters were all very helpful snd friendly towards us and our children.

Our room was meticulously cleaned every day and even the spare clothes for our 9 year old sons " build a bear" monkey were neatly folded on the bed. My son thought that was absolutely amazing and spent the rest of our stay trying to make the beds so nealty so they wouldnt need doing.

The food in the restaurant wss exceptionally good and ressonably priced.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay again....

Well done management and staff.......a great team effort.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank SiloamCornwall
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Ely, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
I am relly glad your family enjoyed there stay, here at the Ely Hotel. Hope to see you again soon. Regards Luke Jones, General Manager.
East Grinstead
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Myself and my partner visited The Ely for 2 nights after seeing a promotion in a local paper. The hotel is in a great location and very close to the M3. The food in the attached restaurant is very nice and reasonably priced. The staff are extremely helpful and full of life, nothing seemed too much trouble for them. The member of staff Lou is a credit to the staffing team at The Ely and it was a pleasure to be greeted by her beaming smile at breakfast time. My only criticism is to book a 1st floor room rather than the ground floor as the floors are very thin and over our 2 nights stay, the room above seemed very noisy and as if the occupant was reorganising the room. Apart from that, I would recommend this hotel and restaurant to any of my friends or family.

Room Tip: Ask for a 1st floor room as the ground floor rooms can become noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DeanoM
London
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have not actually stayed in the hotel so can't comment on the accommodation itself, however I have eaten in the bar area and restaurant, which I found were excellent.

First of all, the staff are all very friendly, helpful and courteous. The food menu is not massive, but the choices are good. There is a small selection of items that are available on a 2 for £9.95 offer, all day everyday. This seems too good to be true but actually it's not. The deal options are very tasty and not tiny portions in any way. I had the Haddock and Chips and loved it. The portion I got was about the same size as a chip shop (maybe less chips).

One thing you must try is their dessert range. The sticky toffee pudding is a total lard fest but the taste is worth it!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
CoB
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We use the Ely very regularly for both food and accommodation, we have been very impressed. I would like to thank all the staff who went out of their way to help us hold a Burns supper. It was a great night with excellent Haggis. The staff made the night a great success. I would recommend you give it a try.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room, less noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The Ely, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thankyou very much, we really enjoyed the burns night aswell, look forward to seeing you on your next stay. Luke Jones
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yateley
The Casa Hotel
#1 of 4 in Fleet
Warbrook House
Warbrook House
#2 of 2 in Eversley

Been to The Ely? Share your experiences!