“MMM Roast Diner”
Review of Montagu's

Montagu's
Reserve with OpenTable
Montagu's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 18 Restaurants in Whiteley
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Whiteley, United Kingdom
“MMM Roast Diner”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Well my girlfriend and I have been here a few times now. This time we went specifically for the roast. Well we were not disappointed. The food was a good value and very well cooked. Proper gravy and proper roast potatoes. I judge a roast on the spuds and these are good. The atmosphere is a lovely relaxing environment to be in. Unfortunately the service this time wasn't as good as it usually is. The regular staff are amazing and attentive but we had one waitress who seemed very shy and dumped our food on our table and left. I didn't get offered any sauces and thought there wasn't any until another table was offered them by another member of staff.
This will not tarnish my opinions here and I am sure we will return.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Alex B

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Best roast around”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Decided to take the plunge and try the new roast lunches, I admit I was hesitant after reading some of the reviews but wow but a delicious lunch. Great service, great home cooked roast and and at a good price. the meat was well cooked, the vegetables were cooked just right and perfect amount of really delicious gravy.

Service was great, quickly shown to a table, order taken in good time and we were so comfortable we stayed for the cheeseboard that was also of a generous portion.

I will be back!

• Visited January 2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Gave them another try...won't bother in future.”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We ate here before and although my food wasn't brilliant, the staff's attitude was great so we gave them another try.
This time served by really indifferent young woman. Unable to answer basic questions about the menu (small evening menu, hardly War & Peace).
Cold night so was going to have the lamb shank, asked if it came with potatoes, after an age was told that it didn't, that would be £3 extra! Had the mussels served with fatty, anaemic bacon pieces and hard, only just cooked onions. My wife had the leek, stilton and walnut tart which was nothing special.
We asked what time they stopped serving and were told 10.00PM unless is was quiet and then said that they wouldn't get any more customers that evening. It was 7.30PM. Enough said.

• Visited December 2013
Whiteley_Manager, Owner at Montagu's, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear TKPUNK, we are sorry to hear that your last visit to Montagu’s was disappointing. And we agree that there is no excuse for staff not to know the menu. It should have been explained that the finished lamb shank dish is after a 6 hour cooking process involving reducing the vegetables down into a rich & concentrated sauce with sherry added, that most customers find filling in itself, therefore offering good value for money. Based on your feedback however, we have started to review our staff training & assessment as this is an area we recognise we need to improve.
We are very proud of the quality of our food which is locally sourced: 95% of our customers tell us through our ‘comment cards’ that it is ‘excellent’. Yet we are always looking to improve and take all feedback seriously; indeed following your last review, we now serve the chocolate fondant with cream and have enhanced the seasoning of the skate wing.
Fareham, United Kingdom
“A lovely little restaurant with with great quality food”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We love this nice little restaurant and always enjoy the good quality food. Had a lovely meal there on the afternoon of New Year's Eve. My husband had a superb vegetarian meal starting with the tasty (and very filling) sprout and Stilton soup. I had sweet potato wedges to start followed by the excellent, perfectly cooked scallops on black pudding (my favourite dish on the menu). The scallops were big, juicy and delicious and I was happy with the big slices of black pudding. Perhaps the reviewer who sent hers back had eaten a big starter and no longer had an appetite for a main course as well!?

And another great thing about Montagu's - good coffee without having to queue and the large brown toasted teacakes with butter. Best toasted teacakes in the county!

• Visited December 2013
“Food ok shame about the service”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Came in for lunch with my sister and cousin. Had to seat ourselves as no one was watching the door. Took a further 15 minutes to be handed a menu. The table next to us were complaining about their fish which was clearly off as I could smell it. A young girl who served us was excellent, however, she was the only one doing her job in our opinion. The other staff looked miserable and we did not receive a check back on our food. As someone who worked in the industry, this is a must do. We would of complained if we were given the chance. Our wedges were burnt. Such a shame as this could be a really nice place to eat but unfortunately we will not be returning or recommending to anyone.

Visited December 2013
Dear Lola L, thank you for your review and we are disappointed to hear of your experience. There were obvious failings on that day which we have been investigating since your post and are addressing through ongoing staff training and recruitment.
You mentioned a complaint by another table. We unfortunately don’t know the full details of the lady’s complaint only that she hadn’t liked the actual taste of the dish. We have now implemented a revised complaints procedure so that we capture all the details of any such incident. All we can say is that our team of chefs tasted it and didn’t find it to be off.