“A fantastic stay”
Review of Solent Hotel & Spa

Solent Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiteley
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I are just home from a one night stay here and we had a brilliant time. Considering how close this hotel is to the motorway, it is in a very quiet location and surrounded by trees. The reception area is beautiful with oak beams and a lovely fireplace. Our check in was quick and the reception staff friendly and efficient. We stayed in an executive room at the front of the hotel. The room was lovely with a separate lounge area. The bed was comfortable, the shower and bathroom very clean and nicely decorated and there were plenty of books, magazines and even CDs to flick through. We felt that the attention to detail was really good in the room and indeed throughout the hotel.
We used the pool and spa area on Saturday afternoon and again we were really impressed. It was very clean, the pool was the perfect temperature and the hot tub very relaxing.
We had dinner in the hotel restaurant which was lovely. Despite being very busy that night, the staff were really pleasant and attentive. The food was beautiful, well cooked and well presented. We felt the same about breakfast, plenty of choice of both hot and cold food and friendly waiting staff. We were lucky with the weather so ate dinner and breakfast on the patio which was a real treat!
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Go for an executive room, the separate lounge area is a real bonus.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. At Shire Hotels we believe that our ‘small details big difference’ approach is really important when looking after our guests, and that ‘attention to detail’ standards are imperative. Our Alfresco dining area is something we are particularly proud of, and its surroundings. I am pleased the weather held up well meaning you enjoyed your stay even more. I will pass your comments on to the team, and we hope to see you back at the Solent soon.

Stephen Woodrow – General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,121)

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed in hotel for one night only and was very impressed. We had a four poster bed which wasn't expected and was very comfortable. We went out for the evening and couldn't get a taxi back to the hotel for at least an hour. So we rang the hotel to ask if they could help and order us a taxi and they couldn't get one either and they knew we didn't know the area, they very kindly sent a staff car to pick us up which I think was above what most hotels would do to help guests. This is a service the hotel does not offer but they could see we were genuinely stuck so offered to help. We would recommend this hotel as they really care for their guests.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear of another example of our staff going ‘that extra mile’ to accommodate our guests. I very much hope that we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Steve Woodrow – General Manager

Reviewed July 4, 2013

My fiance took me to this hotel for a surprise weekend and our hotel room was large and very pleasant. The bed was unfortunately not very comfortable and my poor fiance slept on a dodgy spring all night! However the fresh milk and complimentary water were definitely a bonus.
The breakfast was plentiful and very well cooked and we ate outside which was very pleasant as the hotel grounds are very nice.
We tried the spa and the pool was nice but unfortunately the jacuzzi was not working properly when we were there which was disappointing and the spa is looking a little tired around the pool area (we only used this area so cannot comment on the rest).
We ate one evening meal at the hotel and it was OK but overpriced and nothing specatular. We ate at the Quindells golf club the night before (about a mile away from the hotel and well worth the trip!) and had an absolutely amazing meal for about the same price, so this was disappointing in comparison.
The restaurant staff and the spa staff were extremely pleasant and helpful and they certainly are an asset to the hotel as they made us feel very welcome when we stayed there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cracknelll
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for your review and generally praising comments. I am sorry to learn your husband had an uncomfortable nights sleep, and will of course review the bed in this guest room. The Jacuzzi I can confirm has been fixed, and my apologies for this facility not been operational during your stay.

I note your comments regarding food, and would also make you aware for future stays that when booking on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis at the Hotel, we give you a £35 allowance for your evening meal which we feel represents excellent value for money. I do hope that I am able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The quality of the room is superb, asked for a double, got a twin, however I am on my own so no real shakes. I am feeling almost cheated yet pleased, disappointed and yet happy, this is why.

Ordered a pint £4.15 the first time, rather expensive, £3.85 after that. Service superb staff really friendly, they were very helpful. Ordered the food to be brought up to my room, service good and quick, however ordered a bottle of wine, NO WINE GLASS, food was nice not brilliant but I i'd not wish to complain due to the nice staff and it was more than edible.

What topped it off though and made me only give an average rating is the breakfast menu, NO EGGS, I looked everywhere even the website, but no eggs for breakfast, come on please, maybe if I had asked they would have done me some eggs, however they should be one of the first things on a breakfast menu imo.

Having stayed at the Holiday Inn down the road I preferred the class and ambience of the Solent by far, however something is leaving me feeling a little sad I couldn't write something more positive in view of the staff and the overall feeling whilst here.

Final note Spa and pool look great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. It is always pleasing to hear praising comments about the staff, which reflects the passion in our team and delivery of great service and hospitality. I am however disappointed to read your views within the Restaurant, and will pick this up with the Restaurant Manager.

We serve fried eggs as standard with our breakfast buffet, and we also offer poached, scrambled, or boiled eggs on our menu which are then ‘cooked to order’. I have now noted that this menu was not showing on our website, and have arranged for this to be now added. We hope that that will chose to stay again at the Hotel and I am sure you will have a more positive and overall experience with us.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I got a spa day with lastminute.com for treatments and hot tub for my mums 50th. The whole place was beautiful, when we first walked in, we were wowed. The treatment was fabulous, the staf were geat, the food was WONDERFUL (we had lunch which I chose a light seafood main including scallops) we had the hot tub outside which was lovely. The bar people did forget our champers which the therapis brought to us at the end of our treatments to enjoy on the lounmgers rather than the hot tub but we didnt mind as they were so lovely and apologetic, and we enjoyed our trip so much. I would love to go back, the treatments were great too. The decor and everything was just fab,. I would totally recommend. Its a hotel spa, but a million miles away from a standard hilton type thing, you didnt feel like you were in a hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. Being a small family owned business, we strive to create a personal, friendly yet professional atmosphere and I am pleased that the staff have succeeded in delivering this for you. Please send on my best wishes to your mother, I trust she too enjoyed her birthday celebrations. Sorry about the champagne!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel several times before going into Southampton to board a ship.It is a brilliant hotel. The staff are so friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. They were just about to change their dining room/breakfast room as I left so I don't know what it is like now but the food was very good. The sausages at breakfast are the best I've ever tasted.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear such feedback and I will pass on your comments to all the team.

We ensure all of our food is sourced locally and to the highest quality, and to support our food and drink objectives we have now completed work in the restaurant and we are now proud to have our new ‘taste of the south coast’ table. This features fresh and local produce, including a wide range of local seafood, cured meats and salads. I know you will be impressed on your next visit. Best wishes with the cruise and hopefully we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights earlier this month with the family: 6 adults and two children aged 6 and 3. The children loved the pool and the adults loved the gym and spa. Breakfast was very good and the evening meals excellent. I had the best fillet steak I have ever had and the family loved the chateaubriand and the lobsters. The rooms were well appointed and spacious and although we all had different type rooms the hotel managed to place us right next to each other. The only criticism would be that on both nights the restaurant service was a little slow. But we all loved the bar area with its grouping of comfortable chairs and sofas around coffee tables. Very relaxing. Bearing in mind it's a venue for business conferences and weddings the prices were on the high side but we all had a great time and would definitely consider it again for a special occasion.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Alan G
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Solent Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for your recent review. It’s always pleasing to hear such positive comments about the hotel, and I will pass on your kind words to the team.
We are always looking at ways to improve our service and offerings within the Hotel and I will discuss the speed of service you have raised with the food and beverage teams.
We would love to see you at the Solent again and please do not hesitate to contact me, when you would next like to visit.

Stephen Woodrow - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiteley
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent
#1 of 1 in Hedge End
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#20 of 25 in Southampton

Been to Solent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!