“Comfortable and welcoming”

Ranked #1 of 9 Stockbridge B&B and Inns
United Kingdom
“Comfortable and welcoming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Arrived after a long tiring journey, meeting a colleague then on to a meeting next day. The staff were very chatty and welcoming, the room was extremely comfortable and well equipped - chocolates, ground coffee, magazines, plenty of towels, opening windows, great bed. Only problem was finding the room, which was outside the pub [no. 11] and, as I arrived in the dark, was difficult to find as the sign showing the number was not lit and was therefore unreadable at night. Other than that it was good. Meal when I arrived was good, breakfast also good. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Liz E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just returned from staying for two nights and what a great place this is. We have stayed here before, but it was years ago. We were down visiting relatives so we decided to go back. The building has changed a bit from the outside, but the interior has not lost any of its old world charm.

The staff were pleasant, polite and accommodating. My uncle popped in to see if we had arrived and decided he wanted to be with us for breakfast the next day. Not a problem, which was great. Thanks.

We had room number 1 which was up some stairs and onto a landing. Room was fab, oak beams and some nice touches decor wise. Coffee and tea making in the room, trouser press ect ect. Bathroom was nice and clean, with a range of towels on a heated rail and a range of soaps and shower gel. In all, the place was spotless. The only problem was my height! I'm over 6'3" and there are some low beams. The wife laughed a few times and I'm not complaining! It not the buildings fault I'm tall.

All in all, a faultless stay in a lovely place. We will try to stay there when we pop down again and I can well recommend it on price, location, the staff and presentation. Well done.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chilloot2
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed for one night on buisness .The room was excellent even having an i-pod dock.The bar was nice and for mid week quite busy this could of been the cause of the only problem .Ordered my meal (sausage and mash) I was then told no mash opted for chips having seen the chips offered on other meals expecting real chips only for frozen ones .I id not complain as it had been a long day but I was really disappointed as some of the meals sounded and looked delicious.
I would certainly stay again but would take more care ordering .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Overall, very good, with just a couple of points that need to be addressed.

Staff were friendly and, on request, we were helped with our bags. We were able to change in our room (as we had requested in advance) for the wedding we were attending even though our room was not made up (which we had been warned about on booking). They could, perhaps, have removed the half-eaten food and dirty cups before we went in.

Room was small but quite acceptable, with adequate storage for a one or two night stay. The tea/coffee selection is very good, 2 gift chocolates etc.

The bathroom toiletries were very good quality and shower worked well. Basin taps were a little tricky - slow trickle for first couple of turns, then gushing.

Digital TV/radio was fine.

The only major disadvantage with the room was the overwhelming smell of damp and mould in the bathroom, and it could be smelt from there in the bedroom. At first, I was puzzled as there was no obvious mould. Then I spotted that the plaster alongside the shower cubicle was bubbling off and it was apparent that water was (or had been) getting into the wall for a long time from the shower area, perhaps the tiling or screen is inadequately sealed. This really must be sorted.

We didn't have an evening meal at the pub, although the menu looked interesting. I would have liked a coffee in the evening but I only drink decaffeinated and they only have instant decaff, not ground. I was surprised at this in a restaurant whose prices were not cheap.

Breakfast was excellent - except for the instant decaff. The bacon and sausages were from named providers and all the ingredients were good quality. Cereals, fruit juices, yoghurt etc were all fine. I asked for a croissant - they aren't put out but warmed up on demand. It took an age to come (15 minutes perhaps), and we had to ask again. When it arrived it was deep brown and crispy - clearly it had been left in the oven too long. The menu mentioned 'local jams' but the jams were a well known French brand.

I know some people were disturbed by bottles being thrown out during the night and similar noises. We slept well, but this is often a minor problem when staying at a pub.

You can walk from the pub along the "Test way" path. We went south, which was mostly pretty boring along a fairly dark disused railway track with no views as there is dense vegetation on both sides. Though when we came to a gap we saw a peregrine. However "Stockbridge Common Marsh" alongside the River Test is lovely if you like nature and only 10 minutes from the pub. It's owned by the National Trust and is, of course, a bit marshy so suitable footwear is needed. Surprisingly, the pub had no walks leaflets or local maps available.

Room Tip: Possibly avoid ours (7) (although I have no evidence that others are better) and seek to be away fro...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed two nights here to attend a wedding nearby. The location was easy, coming to Winchester by train and heading to the Inn by taxi. Supper was fine, service was good and food was quite pleasing.Breakfast was a mixed story: just ok. Juices were boring, there was a mean supply of fresh fruit (but at least it wasn't tinned) and whether you asked for poached, scrambled or any other eggs, they were not cooked as we had asked and were not pleasant to eat. The full breakfasts, veggie and non-veggie, looked the best bet however and those of us who opted for these on day 2 were better pleased. Rooms were a bit of a mixture. They had been refurbished and were not bad in comfort and decor for an Inn, but some aspects (like storage space) let them down a bit. Beds were comfortable enough and tea/coffee/biscuits provision better than the usual (I liked that they supplied a full size kettle and proper supplies, including two delicious chocolates!), which was a good touch. However, I felt the bathrooms really let the place down. They were definitely two star and could do with upgrading. Floors were industrial-type covering and shower compartment was small and uninviting. Loo and basin ok if a little old-fashioned. I was in Room 5 (shower only) and the shower was stuck at burning hot when on, which meant I was unable to shower (luckily I could use my travel companion's bathroom in another room). I reported this and the staff were helpful and promised to fix it next day. However it remained too hot and so I had two consecutive days without being able to shower in my own bathroom. Worst part though was the smell. There was a definite smell of drains and this hit me as soon as I walked into the bedroom, let alone the bathroom. This also applied to another room which other friends were staying in.The extractor fan didn't work and the bathroom is internal, so I could only open the bedroom window which looked on to the car park, which was not always ideal. The smell was quite nauseating and it's for this reason I've downgraded my stay. £170 for two nights may not be a lot for that area, but to me it was too expensive for the standard provided and I think they should have made a reduction for the issues with the bathroom. So, some good aspects and some regrettable ones. If I was to repeat this exercise (unlikely as it was for a wedding) I would stay somewhere else in Stockbridge, I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Avoid room 5 and any other rooms with an internal bathroom (ie no windows). Room 4 which was occupie...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Lovely country pub, great food , very comfortable rooms BUT having stayed a number of times there seems to be no getting away for a 6am wake up call when the bins are emptied outside the rooms. Is there any way that they could be moved or emptied later in the day please ?!

Room Tip: Stay as far away as possible from the bins!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed here for one night (Saturday) to attend a wedding locally. We knew that we needed access to our room to change into our "finery" well before official check in time and this had been agreed in advance. The hotel was full and the staff were under lots of pressure with similar situations, trying to book taxis etc etc. Everything worked out and we got into our room even though it had not been made up. The reception and cleaning staff were extremely friendly, flexible and helpful.

The room was well equipped including heater and fan, blackout curtains, comprehensive hospitality tray, comfortable bed etc etc. Ours (8) was a little cramped, but the bathroom was quite large. Breakfast was freshly cooked and a good range of options offered.

We would certainly stay again and recommend it to friends and family. One tip; if you think you will need a taxi book it in advance(Stockbridge has very limited resources). We booked with a local man recommended by the hotel and were very happy with his service and price

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
The Grosvenor
#5 of 13 in Winchester
The Star & Garter
The Star & Garter
#2 of 8 in Andover

Been to The White Hart? Share your experiences!