“Wow what a view!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Museum of Army Flying

Museum of Army Flying
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are one of the UK's leading museums for British military aviation history. Boasting 40 fixed wing and rotary aircraft on site, we have fascinating exhibits and a wonderful 'Apache Cafe' looking out over the busy Middle Wallop Army Air Corps airfield.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Holmfirth, England, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wow what a view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

What an experience! The museum is fascinating and you can sit in the cafe and watch the Army Helicopters flying in and out of the station right next door. The children loved it! Allow yourself plenty of time, there's lots to see and do. We had a brilliant day there and well worth the entrance fee. Fantastic outdoor play area too!

Visited September 2013

Christchurch, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Sunday visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was taken to the Museum of Army Flying as a child by my parents and while they were visiting this month, we decided to go together again as a family of four adults. My father retired as a Colonel from the Army Air Corps where he was a helicopter pilot and my parents were stationed at Middle Wallop shortly before I was born, so this place holds a special place in our hearts...

I must admit before I begin - we had the extremely unfair advantage of having my father with us, giving us a running commentary! He had actually flown some of the aircraft on display (not just the model... THAT particular aircraft, now sat in the museum) so his wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm for the history of Army flying really was the icing on the cake.

It was a pretty grey and miserable Sunday (the 8th of September 2013) and this was a fantastic way to spend it.

There were two families with young children there - I would not recommend this as an attraction for those with young children. The displays are very old and quite fragile, and are set up at a height that little children can't actually see - and I gathered from the shrieking and running around that the children present were not particularly interested in what the museum had to hold. This museum focuses on the history of Army flying from the introduction of aircraft to the UK to how they were used through two World Wars and is really geared more towards people with an enthusiasm for our Armed Forces and military flying than young children. On sunny days there is a great little playpark outside and a small activity area indoors, but as this is not manned it is not somewhere that parents should expect to be able to leave their children while they look around the museum.

The staff at the front desk were incredibly helpful - and even put the film on just for us! A 20 minute is meant to be shown at 12:00 and 14:00, but staff are happy to put it on at other times for people who would like to see it. Very nice touch.

The gift shop is excellent and very reasonably priced - which is unusual! The collection of books they have for sale is fantastic.

The atmosphere around the exhibits is wonderful. It is sufficiently lit, but not too brightly and it creates a great nostalgic feel.

All in all, a great day out. Will definitely go back again in a few years time or if we hear of a new exhibit.

Visited September 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Excellent museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was an excellent museum. We didn't know about it, just passed it on the road, the aircraft at the side of the road caught our attention. It was closed at the time but we googled it and went to it the next morning. We spent hours there. We both loved it, as did our 15 year old son. The best part of our UK + France trip.

Visited July 2013
essex
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Excellant museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Took the family to this museum and was not disappointed. The kids loved it and we do ALOT of museum visits so for them to say it was amongst the best...well that means something. The collection of aircraft, while not huge, was very impressive in it's content, displaying some well maintained and very rare exhibits I've never seen before. The models and dioramas were stunningly well made, the non-aircraft displays were not only impressive and extensive but were also a welcome surprise; who would have expected a 1940's house in an aircraft museum? (Kids loved that, especially the outdoor toilet)
The café served decent food at a reasonable museum price (that is to say more then you would expect in a normal café - but that's the nature of museum food) with friendly staff and a great location (we went on a bank holiday so sadly only saw civvie Cessna planes landing).
As for price, £29 for a family ticket was fine. Didn't see that as being expensive and to be fair now I've been I would probably be happy to pay more to go back (but please don't test me on that).
All in all, apart from topless ladies serving me booze as I walked round I can't see how to improve.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank queenofevil
Wakefield, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Museum of Army Flying Middle Wallop”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband young daughter and I visited here about 14 years ago and we had thoroughly enjoyed it.

So as we were in the area again we thought we would have a look and see how it had improved.
We were very disappointed.

The price was extremely expensive. The place was very cluttered with no order to it. Some of the exhibits were missing and many of the exhibits were unlit, thus making them very difficult to see.

There were only a few interactive exhibits and some of these didn't work either. There appeared to be less outside from what we can remember on our previous visit.

In the period house exhibit we observed modern tins of paint thus spoiling the whole vision they were trying to create.

There were staff milling around but no one acknowledged us as visitors.
The cafe was adequate but one of the benches outside was broken and with a sign advising not to use. If the bench was unsafe it should have been removed.

So although it has a lot of interesting information and we did spend a lot of time there, I don't think we will be going back.

Visited August 2013