“Good sightseeing base”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stockbridge
weymouth
“Good sightseeing base”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Grosvenor in Stockbridge for a weekend in November, It's ideally situated for both Salisbury and Winchester and also various attractions along the Test Valley.
Stockbridge itself is a pretty little town with a single high street offering a number of individual shops and eating places.

We had a room in the annex on the ground floor which overlooked the garden. It was a reasonably sized room, very clean, and while the furnishings may not have been new they were perfectly acceptable - with a large wardrobe, dressing table and a couple of chairs plus a unit with a selection of tea/coffee making items and a flat screen TV. We felt the room was fairly quiet - with less traffic noise or noise from other rooms than many hotels we have stayed in.
We had a zip link bed which many hotels use to enable them to offer both twin or double options and we had absolutely no issue (unlike another review) it was extremely comfortable. .

The bathroom looked like it had been repainted fairly recently - although the fittings and tiling were older and at some point would benefit in being replaced to give a really top quality feel. A couple of very minor issues that I feel could do with being addressed - the bathroom had a energy saving light so you had to switch it on and wait a few minutes before it was actually light enough to go in and close the door, and the wardrobe only had 5 hangers which I do not think is enough - (though this appears to be a common issue in many hotels.)
The annex was linked to the main building by a conservatory so you could get to the main building completely under cover.

We had all our meals in the hotel - the food was varied and well cooked and all the staff were very friendly and welcoming. We would be quite happy to stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WeymouthHal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is the fourth or fifth visit to the Grosvenor Hotel and I still find it a pleasant place to stay. The room, as always, was comfortable and suitably well appointed for a short stay. It is homely, the staff pleasant and polite. We ate in the restaurant and enjoyed well cooked food that was served piping hot. Will be returning again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Grosvenor, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thankyou for your comments regarding the excellent food and the first class service you received from the Team ..which I will pass on.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I recently stayed in this hotel on a business trip. I found it very homely and the staff friendly. There are not many hotels in this area but I have to say it made a change from staying in the clinical in appearance hotels I normally stay. We ate in the bar as there was an option of this or the dining room (same menu). The food was excellent. If I was ultra critical I could have found some things that could have been better but my overall experience was very good. I should also mention the barman/waiter who could not have been more helpful.
I will definately stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at the Grosvenor Hotel at the end of August for a friends wedding. I had a single room at the front of the hotel. The room was a very good size for one person and I had no complaints at all about the sleep I had or the cleanliness of the room.
The food provided was nothing special and a little dry. Drinks seemed rather expensive? Most of the young bar staff and waiters were very polite and pleasant however one waiter, may have been some sort of supervisor, was very rude! Pushed past me twice whilst I was trying to negotiate my way around the hotel in my very large bridesmaids dress, didn't apologise or even acknowledge me...in fact one of the younger waiters apologised for him!! Not a great impression.
Reception staff very pleasant on check in and out. Breakfast nothing special and seemed to take a while to arrive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LSB538
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I can not understand the review posted by "combine harvester" on 4 August 2012.
My wife and I travel a lot and are also involved in the hospitality trade (we have self catering cottage). We are quite critical and could not find fault with this hotel.
We parked in a well lit private car park.Reception was good and offered to carry our luggage but
as we were on ground floor this was not needed.
Oddly enough we were in room 6 which is the same room that caused "combine harvester"such problems!
I wonder if that reviewer was merely upset because he/she was away from main wedding party, I
would certainly not want such a mean-spirited moaner anywhere near my wedding.
This hotel is superb, the food was excellent (do not miss the potted ham hock) and served in a very professional way without being too formal.
The bar staff could not have been more helpful.
"combine harvester" said that the room needed to be refurbished. We found the room to be clinically clean and the bathroom/ shower well above average.
One further point: for smokers there is a superb heated smoking area in a lovely garden.
I would not stop anywhere else if I was in this area

Room Tip: We only stayed in one room but I found it absolutely fine, I cannot comment on other rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Harry L
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The Grosvenor, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, we always appreciate all your feedback at Old English Inns and constantly work hard to deliver service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Inns soon.
Cambodia
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I arrived here direct from the 5* Sheraton hotels in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. I was very impressed with the bedrooms. Although small, the rooms have big comfortable beds and modern flatscreen televisions with free wifi.

Better lighting would improve the rooms even more.

Whilst the rooms have excellent showers, it is disappointing that bathrooms have been refitted on the cheap. They look prefabricated with cheap plastics and lino. A bit of money spent on tiles and new baths, sinks and toilets would make me rate this hotel as excellent.

The hotel is very peaceful and the food is excellent. Smoked salmon for breakfast one day and eggs benedict the next. Both were perfect.

And a special mention to Andy the waiter who brought out wine to try before dinner and made every effort to goodbye to the guest at the end of the weekend.

Good hotel, good food and good service. This place an ideal weekend getaway to explore Hampshire's country walks and the independent shops, delis and tea rooms of Stockbridge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Attending my friends wedding we decided to stay for the saturday night. The venue is very nice, the room big with an enormous comfy bed, bathroom and hallway looks dated but I think adding to the character of this lovely building. You can eat from a reasonably priced and good menu either in the restaurant or in the garden and enjoy a drink at the bar.
Stockbridge is a cute little town with bespoke shops, popular with walkers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Peat Spade Inn
The Star & Garter
The Star & Garter
#3 of 8 in Andover
Travelodge Barton Stacey

Been to The Grosvenor? Share your experiences!