“What a shame!”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This must have one of the most perfect locations in Hampshire, ideally situated right on the river. It's perfect on a hot summer's day where you can sit outside watching the ducks. However, in the years I have been visiting here, the food is always such a disappointment. It must be 4 years since my last visit and things had changed, but not for the better unfortunately. We had Sunday lunch with friends. My duck was tasteless. Likewise my husband's pork. The stuffing was a 'mix with water' from a packet - ugh! The crumble and custard was stodgy and bland. Even the coffee was poor. Plates were large but no discerning customer would expect to pay the £14 for this quality of food. The inside of the pub was slightly shabby. Due to the stunning location they could make a fortune here with a decent chef - why don't they?

3  Thank celloconcert
Julie L, Owner at The Mayfly Riverside Pub, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

All reviews are respected and considered to help our business make better decisions. I do regret that we were unable to satisfy your expectations on any level and do wish that on your visit we could have taken an opportunity to nullify some of your dissatisfaction.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Fabulous location, but the eating experience is somewhat ruined not so much as the standard of the food (mostoly microwaved I suspect), but by the way you're treated as a customer - queing up behind a rope makes is feel more like a canteen! With a little more care and thought about looking after customers and revamping the menu away from tired old lasagne etc it could be something rather special. but it's not!

2  Thank Keith W

I am very sorry to note your experience with us on your last visit and do hope that you will give us a try again.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

A close friend and myself visited the mayfly in october of this year on a whim after hearing about it from friends. On arrival the location is a definite "wow" being located right alongside the beautiful river test.
On entering the pub we received a warm welcome from one of the waiting staff and were quickly shown the menu, which is chalked up on a blackboard, something which you dont unfortunatly see a lot of anymore!
Both my friend and myself chose the mussels to start, to follow i opted for the venison and my friend chose the malaysian style lamb curry. The mussels were superb, and the portion enormous, quite a bargain when they were only charging £6.50 for such a large bowl.
My venison arrived shortly after and it was cooked to perfection, the pepercorn sauce that accompanied it was also excellent; quite obviously homemade with fresh green peppercorns in, no packet bought variety here!
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable experience and look forward to returning to the mayfly in the near future

I am very pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable time with us and do hope to see you again!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had lunch with our family here, and a mention must be given to its superb location. Right by the River Test.
The food was what I call adequate pub grub, some of it bought in, and some of the dishes made on the premises. The lunch we had was perfectly fine, but in view of the prices charged, I think it's a little steep. Probably on a summer's day, sitting by the river, I would be prepared to pay the prices for the food they offer, but just for a winter's meal indoors? Probably not worth the money.

1  Thank Mickigirl1310

We do hope that you are able to come and enjoy lunch with us again perhaps next time with the opportunity to be beside the river.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

visited after a day at newbury races with friends who live/work in Wiltshire. Down for week from north east England. Cracking location and food was excellent..a little pricey but worth it. Location staff and service excellent, only complaint is that they do not give an itemised bill and although we were told this at the beginning i am at a loss at to why. We paid the bill at the end for the four of us but on reflection the drinks must be extremely pricey as they merely give you a food total and a drinks total calculating afterwards i was about £8 out even allowing for top end prices.It would get a five other than for this. Would definately go again and i would imagine outside by the river in the summer would be brilliant...

Thank you for your kind review! We do hope to see you again!