“Always 100%”

The Poacher Inn
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Always 100%”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Come here at least a few times a month now. I have never been disappointed. Staff are always friendly and helpful. The food it always lovely. Couldn't put this place down at all to be honest.
Would definitely recommend the poachers to family's/couples.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I booked a table for 15 for Sunday lunchtime today, we had excellent service and the food was great. The pub has a lovely welcoming feel about it and I would definately go back again. Prices are reasonable and it has a lot of space so you're not too close to the table next to you.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I recently took a friend to the Poacher Inn for a birthday meal. I found the pub on TasteCard, and the first thing I mentioned when booking was that I had a TasteCard; I was told this was fine. When the bill came, the waitress told me no restaurants take TasteCard in December, so I was forced to pay the full bill and embarrassed in the process. This is incorrect as only participating restaurants that specifically state the card isn't accepted in December are exempt and this was not the case for the Poacher Inn. I called TasteCard the next day and they told me that it wasn't their problem as, that morning, the Poacher Inn had pulled out of the TasteCard scheme. I pointed out that when I booked, and on the date we dined, the Poacher was still participating and therefore should have honoured the discount. In fact, they were still on the TasteCard website after having supposedly withdrawn that morning. TasteCard has no contract with participating restaurants and is basically toothless - they made no attempt to enforce compliance. However, the Poacher was at fault for not honouring the TasteCard booking and leaving me with an unexpectedly high bill. It undermines my faith in TasteCard, and I have no wish to return to or recommend a pub that selectively declines card or voucher schemes and is happy to misinform and embarrass its patrons.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SouthCoastKitty
Sunderland
Reviewed October 20, 2013

While looking for a Sunday lunch pub, I decided to take my elderly parents to the Poachers having never been to it before. From the moment you step in the door, you feel a great ambience, with a beautifully decorated , spacious dining area. We all had a roast dinner, not your usual meat and veg roast butch classier. The staff were very attentive. Excellent value for money and we will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed October 2013
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Having not visited since this pub changed hands last year, we were surprised at just how superb the welcome and the food was. If you visited in the past, you probably would not have returned again, but let me re-assure you, this place is now excellent and well worth a visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We enjoyed a three night stay during September at The Poacher Inn. Our room was above the front of the property (some minor traffic noise) and although it was not the largest of rooms it was furnished and cleaned to a very good standard. Breakfast was not the usual buffet style and was prepared individually and served to you at the table, limited choice but very nice. We had two evening meals in the restaurant during our stay and both were very good. All staff were friendly and helpful. Thank you, would stay again!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HAMPSHIRE
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Very varied menu without being too fussy. Friendly, polite attentive staff. I had the fish platter, beautifully presented and full of flavour. My daughter had the duck which was extremely tasty. Very generous portions great value for money. Will definitely go back very soon.

• Stayed September 2013
Best Western Frensham Pond Hotel
Alton House Hotel
Alton House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Alton

Been to The Poacher Inn? Share your experiences!