“good food, good set menus, bar area attractive”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Berties Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Berties Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
romsey
“good food, good set menus, bar area attractive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Berties have started to do some very nice simple set menus. Food is good and service pleasant. The main restaurant has nice atmosphere but the two annex rooms are not so nice, especially if not full. Menu changes regularly althought they always have some Berties Specials

Winchester
“Delicious Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Four of us celebrated a birthday here. The staff are very welcoming and the restaurant was particularly busy for a Wednesday evening in January. The service was attentive, but I agree with a previous review regarding the attitude towards coeliacs (gluten free diet). We all had delicious starters and main courses. An attractive "Hovis" tin of bread arrived but sadly no provision for gluten free. A good selection of desserts and delicious biscuits/chocolates with gluten were served with the coffees. A quip about going to the Coop for some mints met with a laugh, but maybe a few mints for the coeliacs could be provided. All in all though a good evening in very pleasant surroundings.

• Visited January 2013
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Double check about gluten free options - speak to the manager NOT the owner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I phoned and spoke to the owner of the restaurant twice and also communicated by email to check that they could cater for gluten free requirements, which I was assured they could on each communication. We were looking at their Christmas dinner (£15) which looked really nice, he assured me I could have everything on the menu, even the Christmas pudding. I had checked out other restaurants and decided to go to Berties after the owners comments.

Their idea of catering for gluten free is different from mine. The 1st course was soup, the rest of my party had bread to go with it but not me, when I asked, I got told they don't do GF bread, the main course was fine (turkey , no stuffing for anyone but that was fine), Dessert - no Christmas pudding for me, I got told that it was not GF, when I said I had checked with the owner, it made no difference, so got offered sorbet, after suggesting I would like something other than that, I got offered Creme Brulee, cheese without biscuits or fruit with sorbet - I had the Creme Brulee (I love Christmas pudding). As you can guess by now, I couldn't have any of the mince pies/chocs that came with the coffee. All of this made the evening uncomfortable for me and my party as I was having to check what I could/could not have to eat.

I phoned the owner the next day to talk to him about my disappointment of the evening, he was rude and aggressive in his approach, saying I was making a bigger issue than it needs to be. His apology were words only with no meaning behind them at all. I was told I only had my meal to think about, he had thousands - when I pointed out that it was actually what he was in business for and that as a customer it should be about my experience, he stated as I had the Christmas dinner (£15) he felt I should have been fine about it,his attitude was 'so I didn't have any bread and so he got it wrong about the Christmas pudding (he said he got it GF mixed up with vegetarian!!) they made sure there was no flour in the soup - what's the problem........

My point is that as a customer, why should I not expect the same treatment as anyone else if I had made the effort to ensure they knew in plenty of time that I required gluten free food (bread/desserts etc are not difficult to make or buy in).

I would NOT recommend this restaurant due to the owners attitude

Visited December 2012
10 Thank Simmo375
United Kingdom
“Value, Service, Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I took four friends as a thank you for their support over the past few months. Although it was busy with pre-christmas parties, the standard and speed of service was excellent. The food was at the usual high standard, the Venison was so tender. Everyone enjoyed their meals.

England
“Christmas lunch at Berties”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Twelve of us met for Christmas lunch at Berties. It was nice because we had a separate section to ourselves & Christmassy with crackers etc . My husband had the chicken liver pate for starter it was average, I had the mushroom soup which was delicious .However the turkey was disappointing , thickly cut & tasteless , served in a "tower" with two small roast potatoes buried at the bottom , soggy , & not hot and crispy as I expect roast potatoes to be .IT was served with cranberry sauce but no sage & onion stuffing I missed this! as I like it with the turkey.my xmas pudding & cream was alright but my husband's cheese & biscuits disappointing as the cheese dry & tasteless . Coffee was good & almond tarts served with the cofee the best part of the meal . The staff were pleasant. I would not go there again .

1 Thank applewitch