“Beautiful very old building in great condition”

The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Romsey
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This hotel would have deserved five start rating unless sleep quality hadn't been spoiled by different noises from outside.
It is a hotel dating back to around 1500. So very old. You can see it and feel it - in a very positive way. Everything is nicely maintained and up to today's standards.
Well almost, as there is no airconditioning. Initially that was not a problem as you can open the windows as the everning was cooler after a warm day.Eventually that was a problem.
For the whole of the night church bells rang every half an hour. Disturbed a lot. But maybe even more disturbance came during early morning hours when there seemed to be constant carbage bin clearance and other that kind of noises coming from the street. Not the hotel's fault, but did not sleep well at all, which is obviously the main function of a hotel. However hotel was very nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie

Reviewed June 12, 2014

visited bistro for a meal to celebrate sons 17th birthday. had the set menu which included a pot of coffee and for a small charge you could also have a 1/2 carafe of wine. This is such good value for what is essentially a more upmarket restaurant.
Food excellent, staff very polite and attentive but not overbearing (they even piped "happy birthday" in chocolate on my sons dessert!) and the price was extremely reasonable for very good quality food. more than sufficient portions, well presented and beautifully cooked.
Almost want to keep this place my secret and not tell anyone else about it!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Liz M
Reviewed June 11, 2014

A nice surprise it was. Friendly waitress, good menu esp. the sharing ones. It would be even better if they have all those nice wine as decor in their wine menu too. We will definitely go back again.
I can imagine it being too crowded as the tables seem to be very close together.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Lovely accommodation, and good location. The main reason I am writing this review to to highlight the dinner that was provided as part of a Friday 'offer'. The dinner was a fine example of what to serve up to a mouse on a strict rationing diet!! My partner and I could not believe the quantity of food served up, so much so it was a running joke, after each course the portion size was as measly as the last!! Bearing in mind the tariff for one nights stay was £150!!! I would expect a better portion standard. After the meal we headed steadily off to the nearest Coop for a proper dinner!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank freya1137
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed here at the end of May in the penthouse suite and were delighted with our visit. The suite itself is spacious and very well appointed - a truly enormous, soft bed, three leather armchairs, a chaise longue plus writing desk and TV in the main room along with a huge bathroom comprising bath, double shower, toilet, bidet, basin, chair and mobile vanity unit, plus complimentary robes - and, being at the top of the building, peaceful too.

The bar is a quiet and relaxed space and serves two lagers and, at the time of our visit, a guest ale although I suspect two are usually on offer. If I was being critical I would say that the lager wasn't the best I have ever tasted - perhaps lacking in gas as the Peroni I tried tasted what I can only describe as 'fatty' - and the ale didn't do anything for me at all but I appreciate that that is down to personal taste. The staff - who work between the bar and the restaurant - are pleasant and engaging, something which can be applied to all employees at the White Horse.

The restaurant is a fine venue, well laid out and as well appointed as any other area within the hotel and it is a nice touch that the kitchen has a large viewing window enabling you to watch what is going on - my wife was most impressed with the calmness exhibited by the chefs even at the busiest of times. The wine list is good with a decent enough range of options for both red and white wines in terms of price and grape variety with vintages mainly around 2012 although there are some older available. The menu itself is decent with some interesting dishes although I would have liked a few more options for a main course as I found that there were several appealing items for a starter but not as many for the main.

The newly-arrived USDA beef is a treat - we had a tomahawk steak on the first night which was delicious and allowed one to engage one's finest Fred Flintstone impression with the leftover rib bone - and should be tried without fail; similarly the Aberdeen Angus which my wife ate on the second night was also delicious. Similarly, the pork chop I enjoyed was perfectly cooked and the accompaniments - honey roasted carrots, fine beans with pine nuts, Diane and peppercorn sauces, things which can fall under the shadow of the main course itself - helped embellish our meals.

I think the only real criticism I could offer - in that anything that I have noted above is an opinion rather than stating 'this is bad, and must be changed' is that because there is no car park attached to the building you have to use a public car park a few hundred yards away. This is fine - it's free after four o'clock and all day on Sunday - but it does mean that on a morning when charges are levied you do have to get up early and make a dash for the ticket machine lest you run the risk of a penalty notice.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay so much we are making plans to visit again later this year and would definitely recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Teuwsen
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We returned the The White Horse as we had been there 10 years ago. It is a lovely hotel, very clean, quiet and the interconnecting rooms work well. Cot was provided on request. We were a bit disappointed as we had a couple of small issues - TV had a fault, on 1 channel it would cause it to turn off and not come back on again. Phone in our room never worked. Wi-fi in our rooms was non existent - signal was present but not enough to connect. Management fixed the TV and explained the fault. We could only get internet access outside. Due to all these issues occurring on our first night, the manager was extremely apologetic and had a bottle of wine sent up to our room.

Rooms were very comfortable but hot - we slept with the window open. This was in April.

Breakfast was lovely.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2014

The white horse is a very special place- the staff are fantastic, very attentive and friendly. The food is fabulous and is consistently amazing.
I would recommend the afternoon tea- it is the best in the area.
Rooms are lovely and the events are very organised and enjoyable.
The hotel is so special to us (plus we have been coming for years) we had our wedding at the hotel on the 25th April. The staff went above and beyond to make our day even more special and nothing was too much trouble. We had some fussy eaters- even this wasn't a problem.
We would personally like to thank all the staff, especially to Sarah and Alison.
It really is a truly magical place. 10 out of 10 from us.
Thank you for always being amazing.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emma E
silks1, General Manager at The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for your lovely review!

Hope you had an amazing honeymoon!

We look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Best wishes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Romsey
Mortimer Arms Hotel
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Bartley Lodge Hotel
Bartley Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cadnam

Been to The White Horse Hotel and Brasserie? Share your experiences!