“Wonderful gardens” 4 of 5 bubbles

47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Wonderful gardens”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

These gardens are outstanding. There's so many different areas and plants to look at. The Centenary Walk is a must-absolutely gorgeous. It was a very hot day but we were able to get out of the sun and get some shade from the lovely trees. All the different smells and colours were fantastic.
We had lunch in the restaurant and the food was very good and good value for money. We were a bit put out when mid afternoon we decided to have a drink at the cafe-I think it is called Jermayne House-according to its opening hours it should have been open but they had obviously decided to close up early, leaving us having to walk back to the restaurant to get a drink. However the cake in the restaurant was very tasty and we sat outside where there was a lovely cooling breeze. It was a wonderful day out and one definitely to be repeated.

UK
132 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Thank you to the volunteer drivers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

On Sundays there is a free bus service from Romsey train station to Hillier Gardens - all drivers are volunteers, so thank you. There was a wide range of trees, flowers and plants and for most of them you could see the label. Nice good quality tree house although I think there should be a barrier at the end of the slide. There are some really nice gardens such as the winter garden, heather garden. Lovely day out only a few minor points that stopped me giving this 5 rating.
The map should be in more detailed. In the brentry woodland walk there should be some signs showing you how to get back to the main garden. When I went in the Jermyns House I asked the lady if I could buy a drink as it was a very hot day and she advised me no they only sell Sunday Lunches, this meant each time I wanted to buy a drink I had to go back to main entrance.

Suffolk
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Very impressive garden”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

This garden has been on my "must see" list for at least 25 years, and I finally made it! It lived up to my hopes, being large scale and well designed and maintained. As an experienced amateur gardener it was refreshing to see so many species / varieties new to me, and of course beautifully grown. There were no crowds (it was a weekday) - weekends are probably busier.
The only slight disappointment was the garden centre, which is much like most others. I was hoping for out-of-the-ordinary plants, but for those you have to go on-line.

basingstoke
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Thoroughly enjoyable.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Whiled away a glorious few hours here yesterday. We did think that the admission price was a little steep at first, but you could spend all day here, taking a picnic and relaxing in the beautiful surroundings. We didn't particularly follow the route marked but make sure you cross over the road and do the woodland walk. The rhododendrons were spectacular, I can not believe there is a better time of year to go. The colours and varieties were amazing. Well worth a visit.

Visited June 2013
Soton
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Art in the Garden”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Art in the Garden starts around mid May to end October. Really worth a visit. It costs around £9.50 (adult) to get in however you can take a picnic and spend all day there if you wish. There is a set route but it is really nice to just wander around and come across random sculptures hiding in the tree tops or as with the horse..........lying under a tree!........Some of the work is fabulous (if a little top heavy on the price) ....the seahorse is great! Made from what appears to be differing sizes of cogs and metal..........I loved it. I may even have to invest in one!...The gardens are really well laid out with cultured lawns and meadows, beautiful jurassic type plants down by the pond...........there is also a tree house which can keep the kids amused........they will also enjoy hunting out the art! and with plenty of space for them to run about they can wear themselves out.! The only disappointing thing was the cakes.........dry and overpriced. So choose a sunny day, take a picnic and enjoy!.......

Visited May 2013