“A wonderful welcome to an untourist-spoiled house!!”
Review of Broadlands

Broadlands
Ranked #12 of 20 things to do in Romsey
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1767, this stately and magnificent home of Lord Mountbatten contains an extensive portrait collection, elegant furnishings and china collections.
Salisbury
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“A wonderful welcome to an untourist-spoiled house!!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Having visited Broadlands yesterday I looked up the reports on Tripadvisor and am frankly shocked at some of the frankly inanely negative comments.
It is not Disneyland but is a family home with fascinating historic connections.
We last went about 25 years ago. The Mountbatten exhibition was fascinating but the archive is now lodged (responsibly and for very good reason) with the University of Southampton.There is still plenty of Lord Louis bits around the house though.
On that visit the house seemed very down at heel and somewhat drab.
It has been superbly conserved with later decorative schemes replaced with the colours that the architect intended. It came across as a fascinating glimpse into the whole history of the house and the families who have lived in it. It also had the feel of a living home rather than a shell once lived in by a great man.
There was a very good video playing before the tour start, which was a veritable Mountbattenfest.
The lavatories were by the car park. They are of the mobile variety but were plumbed-in flush toilets which were clean and more than adequate for their purpose.
The guided tour round the house was utterly excellent. We were a small party, lead by a well informed lady called Marilyn.It was highly enjoyable, relaxed and full of insights and stories.
We could wander in the ground and walk down to the river. We ended up chatting to our fellow visitors and were all of a mind that it was a wonderful visit.
Romsey is on the doorstep, with plenty of teashops etc. We did not have to exit through a souvenir shop selling expensive kitsch or pot pourri...for which we were very grateful.
Please do not be put off by ungrateful whinges.
Broadlands is certainly worth a visit!

Visited July 2013
7 Thank ArchbishopJ

Romsey, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“DO NOT GO HERE!!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

As all previous reviews mention ...... unfriendly, unwelcoming and a desecration of what once was a beautiful house. No accounting for taste M'am!!
I had visited several years ago and thought a re-visit was called for after the closure for a major 'refurb' recently. Obviously they do not want the dregs of humanity (ie The Public) visiting ... they just want our money! The attitude of believing nothing about Lord Mountbatten's life worthy of display seems to me that the present generation believe it is all about them??!! Sad reflection of what is happening in our world today!! Ask any old timers of Romsey about Lord and Lady Mountbatten ,,,,,, they were loved, respected and valued because they respected and valued the people of Romsey! I think the opinion of the subsequent generation and caretakers of Broadlands is a little different!
I would like to ask the owners/management .... I take it the Disability Discrimination Act you feel does not apply to you?? A very disappointing visit - I could think of many charities I would rather donate my money to than people like you!

Visited July 2013
16 Thank Pauline L
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“I was an inconvenience!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I fully agree with everything said on this website about Broadlands. My "Broadlands" experience was very much the same as everyone else - I felt I was an inconvenience.

The guides were all elderly snooty matrons who looked down their nose at myself, my mother and her elderly friend. We had arrived early ad could not park close to the House itself. Upon arrival we were kept waiting and sadly my mother's elderly friend fell ill and wanted to be sick... the guides refused (initially) to allow her to go outside of the main door we had just walked through! She eventually went outside, but was forced to miss the tour. I was devastated when I went on the tour - several years ago I had been to the House and went all around it, upstairs and downstairs - in many rooms. On this occasion, the tour was limited to just a few rooms on the ground floor! I asked to see the head guide to make a complaint, was patronised by an elderly "doo gooder" and was told I could write my comments - guess what on....??? a blank single piece of paper in a binder. No other paper in it!!! Clearly this was never going to reach anyone or see the light of day other than in the bin after I left. I was so disappointed at the whole Broadlands experience... it was such a disappointment that I would NEVER go back again. Lord Mountbatten has been my hero ever since I was child, his late wife was equally amazing and I think that he would be SO angry at the way his home is being made "unavailable" to the public. I know Lady Brabourne has had marital issues with her husband (Mountbatten's grandson) but it is clear that she does not wish to have visitors. My suggestion would be to close to the public all together!!!! All I can say to anyone who is thinking of going to Broadlands - DO NOT GO !!!! There is no where to get a drink, you are made to feel inconvenient and there is very little to see these days!

15 Thank HamishWestie
romsey
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Not much to see here”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I agree with previous reviewers. It feels as if they are going through the motions. No toilets in the main house and not easy when you take someone who is not so agile to go to the portakabins. no where to sit or have a coffee and not many rooms open. presumably they have to open so many days a year to get a grant

13 Thank RomseyChechy
Waterlooville
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Lovely place”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Broadlands had just re-opened after a major re-fit. some of the house was still closed, but what we saw was lovely, it feels more like a home than a stately house, loads of memorabilia in there, nice photos of the Royal Family, gardens and growns amazing. only downside far as our group was concerned that there are no tea-rooms, to make the stay even more memorable.

6 Thank GemmaWaterlooville