“A lovely day but this visit was a waste of money.”
Review of Broadlands

Broadlands
Ranked #9 of 18 things to do in Romsey
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1767, this stately and magnificent home of Lord Mountbatten contains an extensive portrait collection, elegant furnishings and china collections.
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I have to agree with the general opinion here. This place is not visitor friendly at all, they charge £8 to enter and have to have a guide not make your own way around. You are shown the entrance to the walled garden but not allowed to go in, then told about how much that has been spent on modernising the heating system and how much asbestos they found and miles of copper piping. Inside the house you only get to see limited rooms, and not at all upstairs, some of which have been inappropriately modernised - the lighting is out of place. The guide we had seemed really bored and didn't really want to be there. She was not at all interested in her subject or in the visitors she was showing around. She carried a folder and was reading word for word from it. One member of the group asked her about the other rooms and if the bedrooms were upstairs she replied Yes that's where they are usually are.

10  Thank Pam M
in 3 reviews
"catering"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Not visitor friendly at all. They charge £8 to visit a few rooms, you are not allowed to visit the upstairs of the house. Sadly there is nothing on display relating to Mountbatten apart from a few toy models of ships. Even worse the house has been modernised, ceiling lights in the reception hall and the map room, the kind of lights you would expect in a kitchen or a bathroom.
It's so sad that the owner of this house has not even provided for an area for visitors to have a drink or to buy souvenirs- she clearly has a disdain for everyday people. The simple solution to it all is to NOT VISIT BROADLANDS. It's also not friendly to disabled people or the elderly as the car park is a fair walk from the house and there is no rate for senior citizens to visit the house.

9  Thank Gladiolli
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My husband and I and two friends went to Broadlands a few weeks ago for a day out. The fact that the weather was dreadful couldn't be helped but the whole Broadlands experience was disappointing to say the least. The house itself is beautiful but that's about all we could say positively about our visit. There is a picnic area somewhere on site but we had ours near the car in the car park because of the weather. Again, no-one's fault. However, it is a long way up to the house from there and the only toilets available are in the car park. There are none in or near the house which could potentially be a problem for the elderly or less able bodied. There are also no refreshments of any kind available, unlike most "stately homes". There is a large foreboding notice in the car park full of "dos" and "don'ts" and a "welcoming"sign at the front door of the house saying "Please wipe your feet". As I've said, the house is beautiful but one does rather get the impression that they don't really want visitors.

8  Thank SussexDuchess
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Sadly must echo the views of others here. We kept being told how much money has been spent on refurbishing Broadlands but clearly little or none has been spent with the paying visitor in mind. The car park is some distance from the house and a disgrace - a muddy pit with an exit road that is a like a farm track with deep potholes. The visitor toilets are more suited to a downmarket country fair and there are no refreshments available. We were not made to feel welcome by most staff and the enormous number of signs saying no, you cant do this or cant do that made us feel we were intruding and it was our money that was wanted not our visit.

The house is magnificent and with just a small amount of money and thought could be made so much better a place to visit eg know more about the furniture and porcelain; leave information sheets in each room; if a cafeteria is not financially viable put some refreshments machines in the stables where you have to wait to be shown around; try and make the stables a little more welcoming - all you need to do is read these reviews, or leave some feedback forms for people to fill in, or visit some of your competitors.

8  Thank drkb1
See more reviews
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My reason for visiting revolved around my appreciation for the life of Lord Mountbatten. I have been unable to visit in recent years due to house "refurbishment", so my expectations if anything were higher due to the level of investment involved.
The portaloos in the car park were avoided, but there positioning left alot to be desired, would suggest you also wear wellington boots, as all other forms of footware will be ruined. You then have a 250m walk to the house along a tarmac road, to what appears to be stables converted temporarily to a visitors entrance. I trust unlike us you won't have the misfortune of following a 20 strong bus tour, as groups of 12 are taken around with approximately 15 minute intervals so we waited around 40 minutes.
The people issuing the tickets and arranging the tours gave the impression of being relatively new to the process, the discussion they had about the manner of issuing and collecting the tickets giving the feeling that they were organising the olympics. My personal impression were that they were upper class volunteers doing their bit for the estate.
The tour consisted of viewing an enclosed garden, then looking over a small fence to see a gnarled tree dating back over 400 years. That was the gardens completed obviously mere mortals were not allowed to view further!
Then came the house and to be fair our guide an ex school teacher had prepared and had copious notes, which she put over passionately.
However it was clear that we were unwelcome visitors, as you went around you got tempting glimpses of artifacts of interest a painting of Queen Victoria just visible up a couple of flights of stairs.
This house in my personal opinion has had a large amount of money spent on it (£12 million), primarily for the people living in it to have a life of luxury. The painting of the rooms and chairs looking more "pretty" than historically correct. Unlike a National Trust property where I always feel welcome, on this visit I felt like an unwanted intruder only allowed in for my £8 and presumably as justification for a £12m grant (If the occupants and not the tax payers have paid this I apologise).
I started to find it amusing when only allowed to walk on a roped out area of grass, to take pictures of the house.
In summary a beautiful house, with owners who don't want visitors, so don't expect a souvenir shop, or limited tea room this would suggest visitors were welcome. Even a program or booklet is ignored.
I feel Louis Mountbatten would be extremely disappointed if he could see how is house is being used, and as for celebrating his life it virtually manages to ignore it
This is the worse review I have ever given, and is probably about the most repaired stunning house.
My recommendation is "don't go" they don't really want you!

11  Thank DickyTrowbridge