“Best roast potatoes ever”

The Old House at Home
Ranked #4 of 77 Restaurants in Romsey
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dunoon, United Kingdom
“Best roast potatoes ever”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

popped in here for lunch wow what a treat huge roast potatoes rosted in goose fat lovely tender beef and really freindly staff great atmosphere oldie worldy pup as well great sullection on menu

Horley, United Kingdom
“Great Grub!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were visiting Romsey, and chose to eat at The Old House at Home partly because of previous reviews on Tripadvisor, and mostly because of a subtle recommendation by the local Tourist Information staff. We first conducted a recce, but couldn't find a menu on display outside, so entered the pub, where we were shown what was on offer by a very nice lady. She said that all the tables were booked for 7pm, but if we were prepared to wait, she was confident she could fit us in. At the appointed hour we arrived, she spotted us straight away, and ushered us straight to a table - excellent service, which continued through the meal. Our mains were the salmon and haddock fishcake, which my wife deemed to be one of the best she had ever eaten, and the beef and red wine pie, about which I am still in raptures five days later! There was a real buzz in the pub, we met friendly locals, and the prices were actually on the low side for such quality food. Sadly, we have no plans to return to Romsey, but if I could think of a plausible excuse, I'd happily drive the ninety miles to have another meal in this back-street pub.

uk
“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I went for lunch with my mother and a friend to jointly celebrate our birthdays. It was actually on my birthday. When we booked we said it was a birthday and we were told there was nothing special they could do for it. (Hoped there could have been a flower or balloon on the table - but no.) There was a fairly good choice on the menu including the specials board and we all chose the same meal (Lemon sole stuffed with crab and prawns), but unfortunately there were only two left. One of us then chose the fish and chips. The sole was OK, but the fish and chips was very disappointing. It is better from the the local chippy. However, the starters and sweets were very good. The starters were almost big enough to be a main and the desserts were delicious. All in all, I would say the meal was fair but a bit disappointing for a special day.

southampton
“Romsey's hidden gem”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Be prepared to wait as this pub is extremely popular - always a good sign. If it is just a drink, a snack, or a delicious meal you requiren then this place caters for everything and all tastes. All the staff are pleasent and although the inn has not lost its old fashioned charm the menu is up to date and well cooked with imagination yet not pretentious. It has retained its character and, as such, has a welcoming and warm atmosphere.

Romsey, United Kingdom
“lovely lunch, another little gem on my doorstep!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

popped in on a busy saturday without a booking, very friendly staff accommodated me without too much fuss, and I had an awesome fishcake ; food was tasty, fresh, plenty and overall reasonably priced. I will go back very soon as I have enjoyed my meal.A big thank you to the lovely girls that made sure I was well looked after even on a busy day when the pub was packed .