“Fantastic Country Experience With Obliging Host”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Romsey
Cross Oaks Farmhouse
Ranked #16 of 19 Romsey B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our family of 5 had 2 nights at Cross Oaks which was just as advertised - a 600 year old farm house with low ceilings and sloping floors. Our welcome was warm and we were generously hosted by Ben - a larger then life character - and an experience in his own right. Our quarters were generous, having 2 rooms at the eastern end of the house. In fact all 5 of us chose to sleep in the top bedroom (children!) and we still had room to spare. The bathroom was modern and clean. Ben catered to our every need, including obliging with a family load of washing in our hour of need to keep us all smelling fresh!

Room Tip: The family accommodation is over two levels, the top level of which is in a large room under an open...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We arrived at this bed and breakfast to be told that they couldn't find our booking form! Then it became apparent that in fact our family suite had been double booked. We had booked several months in advance as we knew the weekend we wanted was going to be very busy. We were kept waiting why they so say tried to sort out some different rooms for us. We needed two rooms and were eventually offered, after a lengthy wait, a double room which looked ok and then a room in the "cottage". We asked to view the cottage and I wouldn't let my dog stay in it! It was not ready for human habitation but we were told it was ok she would make up the bed! On asking what she planned to charge us for this delightful alternative we were told full price! Penny the owner, had appalling customer care with an I am not interested attitude which eventually make our decision to seek accommodation elsewhere. I would not recommend this b and b.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Emma J
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Our family of 5 spent two nights at this rather rustic, but charming 600yr old farm homestead. It is located a little out of the way but with good directions it wasn't too hard to find. It is just down the road from where Florence Nightinggale is buried. We had the end suite upstairs with 2 bedrooms, the larger master bedroom with king size bed and single upstairs in the loft and a smaller room downstairs with 2 single beds. The bathroom was very modern with good shower and toilet facilities. Tea-making facilities and TV were available in the room. Ben was a very friendly host and anxious to ensure we enjoyed our stay. Breakfast was excellent with continental and a variety of home cooked options available. A huge fireplace in the sitting room was very inviting but as we were so tired at the end of our day trips we didn't get to enjoy. Perhaps next time!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mark b
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We tried to book a week-end getaway via booking.com and Cross Oaks seemed to be the perfect place. On the booking.com site they mentioned they had a family room available for 5 people which seemed just perfect for us and our 3 children.

To know a bit more, about the property I just booked, I looked for their own internet site. Here however, they mention that the maximum occupancy for that same family room is 4 people. So, I started calling them, but nobody answered the phone. That is why I decided to cancel the room to avoid any surprises upon arrival.

Other comments here made me suspicious about the owners attitude and service level...

Although the room was only reserved for 15 minutes before I cancelled it, they charged my credit card for the full amount for three nights! And still do not have the decency to pick up the phone!

Avoid this place by all means - they are not worth it!

Regards,

Emmanuel Van Heygen

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank evanheygen
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have read the reviews and it is like we are reviewing 2 different places - and in fact we are. Apparently the rooms in the house are good. However, we paid a lot of money, based on these reviews, to book the 8-person cottage and it is really not worth it.
It is a cold, damp, leaky converted shed in the farmyard. The bathroom reminds me of my worst student digs. Slugs on the floor.
There is no WiFi, and when we went to use it in the main house, I was asked to come back later as it would 'disturb the guests'.
There was hardly any equipment and no help or service from the owners.
I had a long discussion with them about this, and they promised to change the way it was described... I hope they do - in my opinion, this is not fit for rental at any price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank B_the_B
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Michael phoned me during the week to confirm the booking and give detailed directions, also checked on dietary requirements. Fortunately I had not read the reviews prior to booking (which is most unusual for me) and I am so glad that I hadn't. If I had read the reviews I would not have booked here and would have missed out on a fabulous stay.
The room was perfect, our hosts were very welcoming, the breakfast was spot on, the farmhouse was charming, and although the location seems slightly remote when first arriving it is a perfect place for exploring the New Forest and surroundings.
If check in time is given as 4pm why would you arrive early? Can't quite understand that criticism - if you booked a restaurant for 8pm you wouldn't arrive at 7 and expect to be given a table.
Totally recommend this place. Excellent value for money. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bonfirekathy
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed here as a group and had a very disappointing experience. Penny treated us as a terrible inconvenience, got our booking wrong, tried to convince four of our friends to all sleep in one family suite so that she did not have to make up another luxury double (which she said was her room and was full of stuff and she didn't really have time to organise as she had a horse show to go to?). The cottage was a shambles in a courtyard nearby that was full of cars and caravans, inside was shabby. Part of the bath fitting fell off and the toilet system did not work properly. Lastly, we were told there was a kitchen so we brand things to cook. There was crockery but no pots and pans. Penny seemed really put out and told me she was rushing to a horse show and didn't really have insurance for us to cook.... I think she was too busy while we were there, we were not looking for a glitzy hotel but Penny bordered on rude every time I spoke with her and the place was very very hard to find. Would not recommend staying in the cottage at all.

• Stayed: June 2012