“Absolute perfection & one of the best desserts we have ever had!”
Review of JSW

JSW
Ranked #5 of 73 Restaurants in Petersfield
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We recently visited JSW on a Groupon 7 course taster menu with paired wine and found this a truly exceptional luch. We had checked out the reviews on TA prior to our visit and were a little apprehensive as we thought that the restaurant may have been a little pretentious.

Our fears were unfounded however there was a table of four sitting adjacent to us that couldn't help name dropping throughout their meal. As an example they must have been to every michelin star or 2 star restaurant in the surrounding areas...?!

That aside this was truly a memorable experience.

We noted that the two young waiting staff were inexperienced but provided excellent service throughout our meal. We later checked out the JSW website and noted they were looking for apprentices. We have both worked in the catering industry and thought this would be a great introduction for these young apprentices.

The French sommelier (Jeremy......yes Jeremy) was a true professional. He had great depth of knowledge with regards to the courses and associated wines. He also had a certain charm and personality that made this a real experience. We later discovered that he bought all of the wine for the restaurant and matched the selected wines to the taster menus.

We are not backward in coming forward and were keen to know more about the wines we were having with our courses and Jeremey gave us an excellent summary of the wines and why he selected them for each course. We enjoyed the wines so much we purchased a mixed case prior to departing.

With regards to the food we had the following:

Course 1 - Watermelon Gazpacho with Crab Mayonnaise
Course 2 - Scallops with Cauliflower
Course 3 - Roasted Duck with Orange & Chicory Tart
Course 4 - Texture of Pork with Summer Vegetables
Course 5 - Texture of Lamb with Shallot Puree
Course 6 - Peach & Elderflower Bellini
Course 7 - Yogurt & Chocolate Ganache with Granola

We have tried a number of taster menu's but this was truly exceptional. I could go on about how great every course was but its easier to summarise in that my girlfriend said she would happily marry the Chef!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We went Saturday night for our wedding anniversary, the Michelin ranking making us want to save it for a special occasion. The positives were there. Great decor, some good service, a few great courses, and speedy starter and mains (all in 40mins from when we sat). A few things just went wrong though, in ways we just wouldn't expect at that level, the last one spoiling things overall. We asked the waiter to recommend something from the half bottle list, to go with my wife's main (sea bass) - his answer was any of them would be fine.... We asked for something dry, he gave us something sweet. The (very) young lads presenting the meals were polite enough, but delivered the descriptions of the courses by rote, as though they were scared you would ask them a question. The kicker was the dessert though - ordered at 7.50, chased after half an hour, another ten minutes to then be told the ticket had been lost... Got the last course after an hour all in. They were really apologetic, and we didn't pay for the course. The apology at the time also came with a drink for each of us (though I'd told them on at least two occasions prior to that I was driving that night). I don't say that to ungrateful, like I say, they were really polite, and attempted hard to make up for the problems. We'd just paid the premium for a Michelin starred restaurant not to go somewhere great at saying sorry, but to go somewhere that doesn't have to in the first place

1  Thank David G
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We did the 7 course taster menu (from the groupon deal) with paired wine. Several reviews here say the table was small, but that wasn't the case at all for us so I guess it was luck of the draw.
Overall this was just fantastic with the wine complimenting every dish incredibly well.
Lovely setting, in the middle of summer it was a cool, but not cold temperature inside.
It was clean and tidy as you would expect with very polite staff.
Yes the portions were small, however, 4 different complimentary breads with a delicious canopy starter (which I don't think was one of the seven), meant I wouldn't have wanted, nor did I need any more food.
A real treat. I genuinely savoured every mouthful, if I could go again tomorrow I would.
Lovely jubbly

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My friend and I dined here lst week and had the 7 course tasting menu. Tables are quite small so good planning needed by the staff. They are quite close to other diners but comfortable. The service was very good with a nice explanation of each course, the scallops were lovely.
Each course is very tiny although great flavours come through. Having dined in many fine restaurants I felt the portion size was a little too tiny. An interesting menu and perhaps the emphasis on locally sourced ingredients could have been stronger with each explanation. As I live fairly close I would have been interested in the promotion of this.
Overall a pleasant evening but I would not have said truly memorable.

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We were lucky enough to dine at this wonderful restaurant on a brilliant groupon deal! We arrived on Saturday at lunch time for a 7 course tasting menu. The restaurant has a car park attached at the back.

We were greeted warmly when we arrived and was seated straight away. The waiter offered us an aperitif and discreetly asked us for our groupon voucher. We were presented with the menu and asked to see if there were any problems with the menu for us.

The courses did take a long time to come out and the times between courses did vary a lot. Overall, the food was well presented and great tasting. Seevice was top class too! No complaints!!

The full seven course menu would have cost £75 each! Groupon deal was £35 for two. Bargain!