“Very nice 5 course degustation with a truly excellent wine list”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of JSW

JSW
Ranked #2 of 66 Restaurants in Petersfield
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Very nice 5 course degustation with a truly excellent wine list”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We visited JSW and had the 5 course tasting menu selecting our own wines. We had an excellent meal of some very tasty and very clever cooking. I was really impressed by the waiting staff and the quality of the wine list is enough to make me want to go back again. We also had one person who had a dairy intolerance and they were extremely accommodating varying the menu.

The 5 course menu looked like a great option and so it turned out. The starter of scallops with cauliflower was extremely good and a great combination of textures. The highlight of the meal for me though was the "Textures of pork with beetroot" combining pork cooked several ways and a deliciously powerful piece of black pudding that I was forced to leave until last. The labm cooked 3 ways was also quite good and included an unusual tongue, which had a surprising texture but excellent taste. The dessert of rhubarb was well cooked and tasty but a little one dimensional with a lot of rhubarb flavour but little variation from that.

For me the servings were a little on the small and fiddly size. The food was very tasty but the lamb dish for example I don't think I had sufficient quantity to really get a good taste. Also, possibly because of the small servings, the food seemed to be a little colder than I'd expected. Not worth sending back especially if that is what the chef was after, but also not as hot as I'd expect.

The wine list is extensive and I have nothing but great things to say about it. We had the greatest pleasure in introducing some people to an aged Aussie Riesling, which they'd never experienced before. A great range of wine from all over the world and an excellent range of price points. Great wine list!

The staff were excellent and again made the meal more enjoyable. Friendly, knowledgeable and sufficiently distant to ensure that we were left in peace when we were eating or chatting. I was especially pleased that we weren't constantly asked if we enjoyed each dish! We also had a great conversation with the somellier over a couple of the wines as well.

The restaurant itself is nicely comfortable and well spaced. On the day we were quite some distance from the next table, though that may have been a good thing for the people near to us! A bit of care and attention shown with the wine glasses as well, which is a good thing to back up the excellent wine list. This is the kind of place you're going to feel perfectly happy if you're going out for a big night out.

Overall I really liked the meal here and apart from some minor issues with the temperature of the dishes the food was extremely tasty and the menu well thought out and interesting. Would definitely consider returning.

Southampton
“Impeccable in all ways”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I don't want to repeat what others have already said, suffice to say that JSW provides a top notch dining experience.

My wife and I went for lunch and had been fortunate enough to get a Travelzoo two for one deal for the seven course tasting menu (normally £75 per person). The flavours and textures were all fantastic and were beautifully complemented by the 'Option B' wine flight. Staff were attentive without being over-bearing, the ambience had enough buzz to avoid being stuffy. Overall a fantastic restaurant deserving of its Michelin star, and Petersfield is lucky to have such a fab place.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Even better 2nd time around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Took advantage of the recent groupon offer for the taster menu. Everything from the welcome to the explanation of the food was wonderful. And the food was sublime. Trouble with offers though is it makes it hard to go again and pay full price!

• Visited March 2013
UK
“Southern Comfort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Ate (and stayed) at JSW a couple of nights whilst visiting RHS Wisley. Overall standard of the food is excellent. Wouldn't want to pick out any dish particularly but the menu choice is very good. We stuck to fish dishes in the main and the quality of the ingredients and the cooking skills were evident. Good, if somewhat expensive, wine list - many, many bottles at well over £100 - supplemented by knowledgeable advice from the sommelier. I would be careful about some of the white wines annotated on the wine list as being stored at room temperature. Should you chose one of these wines, the staff will chill it for you but since this can only be done once you have placed your order, I wonder how such magic can be performed in the short space of time available before you will want to drink it. The sommelier was rather coy about this when I enquired!

When booking the accommodation, staff went out of their way to ensure we had a good room. This is a restaurant with rooms so don't expect the full hotel service but continental breakfasts served either in your room or in the main dining room are a real feast (and more than we could manage after the meal the nights before) - pain au chocolat, croissant, pain au raisin, fresh fruit, yoghurt compote, muesli and coffee & hot milk.

Pleasant courtyard which gets the afternoon sunshine is a quiet place for a drink.

Surrey
“An excellent Restaurant of high standard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a quality restaurant serving "French" inspired food. We had the 7 course tasting menu and it was superb, and worth the high price.
It was full by 20.30 which is always a good indicator of a popular Restaurant.