“Great lunch”

Upstairs at The Folly Wine Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 68 Restaurants in Petersfield
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Folly Wine Bar & Restaurant is one of Petersfield's most iconic and popular places. With its high, wooden timbered vaulted ceiling, leaded windows and congenial atmosphere, you'd be forgiven for thinking our beautiful building was a centuries-old country retreat. Although it could easily embody such a history, it was actually purpose-built in 1916 as Petersfield's local garage. Family-owned and run, The Folly is a stylish, warm and inviting drinking, dining and socialising icon in the heart of Petersfield. Combining the character of a superb heritage building with a delightful menu and wine selection- it is a true hidden gem.
Isle Of Wight
“Great lunch”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Visited on our way to Champneys. Booked using my Tastecard. My daughter had the brie and I had soup for starter. Both were good size portions and attractively presented. We both ordered the braised steak for main course. Served in a large open bowl, this was a lovely dish, the meat was perfectly cooked. A plentiful side of vegetables accompanied the meal. A glass of prosecco was well priced. Will definitely return.

1 Thank Rawtalent

Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal and a warm welcome as always”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This was a meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had a lovely warm welcome from Mary and her team as always and a very relaxed friendly service, no snobbery here. Our dinner was delicious, very difficult to choose from the menu. The chocolate cointreau tart particularly yummy, it looked small but was very rich. Our favourite 'special place' to go and eat.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Fiona C
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Sample super reasonably priced wines here”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The wines are super and very reasonably priced indeed. Mary is a great host. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. Think people don't know you can come here for just a drink. If they did it would be packed out! Mary looked after my partner extremely well when I left him here with a broken ankle whilst I did the shopping. Thank you!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Solrsparkle
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Great food good service. Decor could do with updating .”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Service very good indeed. Prompt and efficient . Menu extensive, imaginative and catering for every taste in terms of the variety of dishes on offer. The chef had a real flair for taste, colour and presentation of all the dishes my friends and I chose. We were delighted and will definitely go back again in terms of the food. The decor is old fashioned and a little drab to be honest and it was quite a cold day so we kept our jackets on. Maybe they can't afford to turn the heating up, so if you are a cold morsel don't go in the depths of winter. In my opinion it is was of the best places to eat in Petersfield.

• Visited October 2013
Cowplain
“This place is worth a visit.”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is the first time we've visited "Upstairs at the Folly" we were greeted by a very pleasant young man by the name of Tom, who asked if we would like to sit in the Gallery, which we did.

We were offered a choice of two menus which were either light snacks or a more substantial meal. I'm glad to say that in both menus there wasn't endless dishes to choose from, which is nice as a menu with a lot of dishes usually indicates to me that a lot of the food is microwaved.
We had a very nicely presented Fish Grazing board as a starter which we shared [thankfully as it would have been too much for one person]. For the main courses we had a Sirloin steak baguette & a Folly Cheese burger which both came with coleslaw, salad [which was fresh with no brown ends] & hand hand made chips. Once again very nicely presented. For our desserts we shared a Trio of puddings which like the rest of the meal well presented & very tasty.

All the food from the starters to the desserts were hot & freshly cooked.

Tom the young waiter was excellent, the restaurant was reasonably busy & he coped very well, he was attentive & always aware of what was going on around him & his customers needs.
If I wanted to be very picky the only thing I would say is that there were too many chips which means that there would have been a lot of waste.

We will be going again in the near future & I would have no problem in recommending "Upstairs at The Folly Wine Bar & Restaurant".

• Visited October 2013