“a great place”
Review of The Good Intent

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Petersfield
The Good Intent
Ranked #8 of 25 Petersfield B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“a great place”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

one of the best pubs i know, a great atmosphere mostly due to wonderful staff has made this into an ideal pub. everyone is always willing to help, and you get greeted and treated brilliantly. i would recommend it to anyone either local or passing by

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

A bit of a rip-off, nice atmosphere but food was over priced and not as described ...we were eventually refunded but with bad grace. An unnecessarily unpleasant experience. The pub is well
Situated and had a nice atmosphere but the staff were indifferent and almost hostile and did not apologise for appalling service or make any attempt to make good.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Jen936
Petersharman, Owner at The Good Intent, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Hello - if you remember rightly your partner ordered your meals and ordered from our 'meal-deal' menu which is a two course meal for £10 or three courses for £14 clearly stating that the portion sizes are smaller - this you were unaware of at the time.
When your food arrived and you became angry and abusive, our staff tried to sort out the problem but you eventually had our waitress in tears (she has been with us for years and is a well liked and trusted member of the team) and had done nothing wrong.
I am sorry that you weren't happy with your meal but reacting the way you did was both unnecessary and cruel - maybe in future you should eat at home.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed at the Lovely Good Intent. As previous customers say staff were very polite it's just a pity I couldn't say the same about the very polite (at first) and VERY Abusive when questioned Land Lady.
Where to start its a long one
In the room I was surprised to find a Damp Moldy smell, wallpaper was lifting off the wall and Large Damp patches on the wall. It was late so I didn't have much of a choice but stay. All I wanted was a bed for the night and a shower after a long day. The shower didn't work not even a wash at the sink was possible as there was NO Hot water. I brought it to staffs attention that there was NO hot water, despite letting the tap run for ten minutes ( what a waste of water).
When going to bed the room was COLD. I went down to ask for the Heating to be turned on only to be told that there was NO Hot water NOT even down Stairs ( how do they clean with NO HOT Water???). So I went to bed cold.
In the morning things didn't improve much despite my optimism.
I went for a shower but surprise surprise there was at first NO Water, and when water started to flow it was a brown rusty color. So I went to the sink to find Hurray Hot sorry scalding water in the hot tap, so yes I know put in some cold water ( I used my brain) so I could wash myself. Imagine my surprise when scalding hot water came from the cold tap, YEP I know what you are thinking (hot water hot tap Cold water cold tap) but in THE GOOD INTENT it doesn't work that way.. even the Toilet Cistern had Hot water after a few minutes ALL hot water was gone and YEP you guessed it back to COLD WATER.
So down for breakfast could things get any worse ??
Breakfast was cooked earlier and Re Heated in the MICROWAVE, (despite this being denied in other post's). I sat near the kitchen
When I spoke to the Land Lady about my concerns at first she was Polite but it's obvious she doesn't like being Questioned about the problems with the room and became VERY ABUSIVE, Shouting at me r telling me to GET OUT !!!
So I left and would advise ANYONE NOT TO STAY OR SUPPORT this establishment.
The cost of the room was at first £90 but I managed to negotiate and got it for £80, NOT £70 as stated in other post's. I have a receipt to prove this, after everything that had happened and despite paying the previous evening No compensation was offered.
If you took the time to read this post I hope I didn't bore you to much ..
Oh by the way I was told just before I left I could put a post on Trip Adviser by the land lady / mageressand that she would deny everything..
STAY AWAY PLEASE......

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank FJBuc
Petersharman, Owner at The Good Intent, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I really wish there was a site where you can report nasty individuals like this one... Your 'review' is interesting and currently under investigation by Trip Advisor. I think that, having read another review about there being a problem with the water in that room that you would get a nice free night's stay with us...but why you chose to enter a private loft space and damage our boiler and water system is beyond my belief (the pub was without water the entire next day to fix your 'handywork' - thankyou) but as we have passed on your contact details and a photo of the van you were travelling in to the local Police and Fullers, I will make no further comment.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Staff were hard working, polite, friendly and helpful but the hot water tap in the bathroom didn't work and the shower was practically cold even on a warm setting and didn't produce much water.
On arriving back for the second night, our room hadn't been made up. The beds were unmade and the litter bin hadn't been emptied although before we left that morning,there was a knock on the door supplying us with fresh towels.
The bar had a good selection of Fuller's ales and the meal we had was of good quality.

Room Tip: Steep staircase and low beams to access the room. Check all facilities are in working order before...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank kenp31
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We had dinner at the good intent on a trip to petersfield as it had been recommended by a friend. Nice little pub in a nice little market town, we didn't expect the quality of the food to be so high! The care and attention taken by the chef was clearly visible in both dishes, stunning flavours with creative presentation and garnishes. Really was a little taste of London in the heart of Hampshire. Our waitress was really great too, all in all a great dining experience

• Stayed April 2013
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We were in Petersfield looking at some local properties with a view to moving there. We decided to stay the night and found this lovely old pub, with accommodation, and safe parking for the car. We were welcome from the moment we arrived. The food was excellent and the room was great - not huge, but clean and functional. The bath/shower room was clean and tidy. Breakfast, all freshly cooked, was served by the chef. A lovely place with really helpful staff. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: You are staying in a quirky old pub and we expect that during the summer months there will be some n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GoodIntent, Owner at The Good Intent, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post some feedback - I'm so glad that you enjoyed Petersfield, and, of course The Good Intent and wish you well with your search!
Toronto
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at The Good Intent for four nights to relax and decompress and I absolutely loved it!

The rooms are very spacious considering the age of the building and have ensuite bathrooms and you have the option of tea and coffee in your room while catching something on TV.

The pub downstairs has a fantastic atmosphere and both the staff and patrons are extremely friendly and welcoming to foreigner like me :).

The breakfast was wonderful since you could select every facet of your meal from the type of egg (fried, scrambled, poached etc) to type of toast to additional cereal to mushrooms and/or tomatoes.

I had the pleasure of being at The Good Intent over New Years and the buffet that was offered was exquisite. I was not surprised since dinner the night before was fantastic. The pub has the largest selection of sausage types I have ever seen, and despite the grumblings from a former guest, the colcannon was delicious and properly made and well presented.

Overall, The Good Intent exceeded my needs for my stay in a small English town and I truly hope I can return sometime soon!

• Stayed January 2013