Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Christchurch Highcliffe(Highcliffe)(Great Value!)
$111
PremierInn.com
Lord Bute Hotel(Christchurch)
$152
Premier Inn Christchurch (East) Hotel(Christchurch)(Great Value!)
$79
PremierInn.com
$237
$230
Travelocity
South Lawn Hotel(Milford on Sea)
$157
$152
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel(Christchurch)(Great Value!)
$81
Hotels.com
Passford House(Lymington)
$187
  • Breakfast included
Moorhill House Hotel(Burley)(Great Value!)
$146
Travelodge Christchurch(Christchurch)(Great Value!)
$54
Travelodge
    2,068 results
    All reviewsafternoon teatree housecroquet lawntasting menubreakfast hamperthe main hoteljunior suitespecial occasionattention to detailhot tubservice chargesandwichesgrounds are beautifulbirthday treatout of this worldworth every pennyfeel special
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed October 20, 2013

The food was reasonably good but not stellar, but the kitchen took ages to put out the dishes even though we ordered the set menu lunch. From ordering at the start till finishing dessert took two hours for some reason. Service was friendly but amateurish and awkward. There was also a hair on my bread plate (which I couldn't be bothered to mention to them) and although we booked a table for three, there were only two settings and chairs, so we had to stand around in the middle of the dining area waiting again while they brought another chair out. Food quality was decent but tiny portions, perhaps predictable given the 25 pound price for 3 courses. Have to agree with londontraveller445 below about the alcohol prices. Somehow a round of 3 aperitifs, 50 quid bottle of white and two glasses of dessert wine cost 160 pounds. 75mL glass of Sauternes was 20 quid a pop (putting the value of a bottle at 200 pounds). Just seemed out of line with food pricing and overall quality of the experience, at a place whose reputation seems undeservedly high. I would not go back or recommend to a friend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
    2  Thank Chris B
    Reviewed October 17, 2013

We booked the three course set lunch, which at £25.00 is not unreasonable. The food was okay, apart from my Hake fillet which was wonderful. Service was for the most part 'cool' and at no point during our meal were we asked if we enjoyed it! However, I think the £14 for a glass of mediocre house wine was outrageous and significantly more than You pay at Le Gavroche - which has two Michelin stars.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
    3  Thank londontraveller445
    Reviewed October 16, 2013

We have just returned from staying three nights at Chewton Glen hotel. We had a junior suite which had a small garden accessed through patio doors, a roomy lounge and a very comfortable bed. My husband had told the staff on booking that it was my birthday and it was lovely to find a balloon and birthday card in our lounge on arrival. The staff are very helpful in carrying suitcases and valet parking our car which was really good. We didn't try the spa so I cannot pass comment on that but the meals in the restaurant were delicious and cooked exactly as requested.
    If there is a downside I am afraid that I have to agree with other reviewers that the service in the restaurant was very slow. It took us two hours to have our meal as we waited such a long time between courses. Also we noticed that other people came in after we did and were served earlier which is a little bit remiss.
    This hotel is a "sister" hotel to Cliveden, also a five star rated hotel and we have stayed there previouly. The service at Cliveden is sharp and very efficient and maybe if Chewton Glen is in the same group of hotels it would do no harm for the staff to pay a visit to Cliveden to see how the restaurant is run there. That apart, I couldn't fault the food or the friendliness and knowledge of the staff in the restaurant.
    The grounds of the hotel are immaculately kept and we had a look around the kitchen garden which is inspiring and good to know that much of the food served in the hotel is grown in the grounds.
    I really did enjoy the stay and would go back to Chewton Glen one day.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
    ChewtonGlenNewForest, Managing Director at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you ever so much for your review and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to note that you had an enjoyable time with us and that in most parts we impressed.

It is unfortunate that you found the service in the restaurant slow. We are working very hard on this area at the moment and I am sorry if you were inconvenienced by an unusual blip in our normal high standards. Thank you for mentioning Cliveden House Hotel, our sister property in Berkshire; we regularly share staff between the two hotels as we too believe in the benefits that this brings to both our guests and staff.

On a brighter note, I am delighted to see that you intend to return and we look forward to welcoming you back to Chewton Glen.

With warmest wishes,

Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful 24 hour experience at this amazing hotel. We had been there many many years ago and so decided as a special birthday treat, we would book in for a night as opposed to getting a taxi home.

I reserved a garden room tasting package which was a not unreasonable £377.00. Not cheap but considering it included a seven course tasting dinner and breakfast, not ludicrous. Within 24 hours I had received an email asking if I had any special requests and was it a special occasion.

Having answered this, I perhaps expected a bunch of flowers to be left in the room. When we arrived, we shown "up" to our room, and I have to admit I was wondering what sort of garden room is on the second floor. This door was opened into, not a garden room, but a very beautiful and enormous suite, sumptuously decorated and totally luxurious. It was amazing with fantastic views over the lawns. There was fruit, chocolates and a balloon, but alas no flowers. However, there was an ice bucket with half a bottle of Tattinger champagne and a birthday card. Now that is what I call a welcome. It was a wonderful thought and very much appreciated.

We decided to have a lunch in the beautifully decorated restaurant. A three course lunch for £25 each was great value and artistically presented. The only hiccup was that after we had ordered our desserts, the printer in the kitchen broke and so we were left waiting a little longer that was normal. We decided to change the order to cheese (£5 supplement). We got both and no extra charge, just humble apologies. The service was excellent and very friendly and very attentive.

We used the magical spa and then decided to rest before dinner, not quite understanding how we would get through seven courses. We did or at least I did. My wife stopped at 5. The food was amazing. The newish chef is a brilliant master of the kitchen. His combination of tastes and presentation was up there with the best. Every course was a masterpiece, but nothing was too heavy. There was no difficulty in changing one of the courses away from game to another choice, something that can be difficult in some establishments. The service was spot on. Attentive but never obtrusive and the gap between courses was timed to perfection, allowing us to saviour that which had eaten, and look forward with expectation to the next experience. It was just a shame, that so many of the other guests were eating plain dishes which, I am sure were first class, but did not allow a chef of this ability to display his talents.

We decided to have another small drink in our suite. It was delivered within minutes, together with a small chocolate cake with a candle on it. It was the perfect end to a wonderful evening.

The next morning we were too full to eat breakfast, so upon that I can't comment. However, one thing happened upon leaving that exemplifies the quality of the Chewton Glen and its staff. The porter who had delivered our bags to our room the day before, brought my car around from the car park and packed them into the boot. I went to give him a tip for all he had done and he refused to take it saying all he would like to do is "shake my hand." That more than anything showed to me the ethos of the staff and how they look after and treat their guests.

I have read some of the reviews on this site and all I can say, is that from the moment of arrival to the moment of departure, it was a sublime experience, rivalling if not exceeding most, if not all, the five star hotels and Michelin starred establishments that we have frequented over the years.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
    1  Thank Melvyn M

Dear Guest

I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for your review, which is much appreciated.

The greatest pleasure for the team and I always comes from exceeding our guests expectations and we are all delighted that you enjoyed a most memorable time with us.

As you live locally I hope that it won't be long before we see you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With kind regards

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I recently booked our annual conference at the Chewton Glen and I found that the staff were amazing. The 16 rooms we booked were all absolutely amazing and I would defiantly recommend this hotel, there was plenty to do around the grounds and the Spa Area was truly divine. The food was amazing and most of my delegates said it was the best they had ever had.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

What a pleasure to read that your annual conference was a such success! I am delighted that we were able to play a small part in ensuring it all ran smoothly and to plan.

Thank you for taking the time post a review and we hope that we will see you and your colleagues again before next year!

Kind regards