“Its in very safe hands,,,”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Its not so easy to write a review for Chewton Glen as I've been coming here for the last 46 years! I've known CG longer then any other similar establishment and it has been a corner stone of all of the major events in my life. I've had my 21st here and numerous birthday celebrations before and indeed after that. My wedding reception in 1977, the divorce party in 1994! Numerous business deals have been agreed and indeed celebrated here. Therefore, I think that I'm at least knowledgeable about this unique hotel.

The hotel has evolved considerably since the Skan family effectively started it's remarkable journey and its fair to say that CG has had its share of ups and downs along the way. A recent visit for an unexpected Sunday lunch, has given me an insight into just how far its latest evolution has taken this english institution.

On arrival you go through the gates and proceed down the long and delightful delightful drive. The original entrance is now the tradesman's entrance. Martin moved it to its present location because the old entrance is opposite a static caravan park! I haven't been to CG for about 9 Months (for dinner) and in daylight, its apparent how much the grounds have matured of late. The parkland style grounds have always been a pleasure to walk in; or just to look at, from the comfort and warmth of the Spa windows on cold mornings.

You soon become aware of the change in surface on the drive way, which it turns out, is to accommodate CG's latests development - the Tree Houses. You are also aware of the limousine style golf buggies, which scurry hither and thither, ferrying guests to and from their retreats, complete with Hot Tub/Jacuzzis. For a moment I reflected on what Martin and Trevor's (Skan) Mum and Dad would have made of this new development? But never have I seen the hotel so busy and yet it still manages to maintain its grace and country house charm.

We were warmly greeted at the main door and the lady was expecting us - nice touch. Then off to the bar for a very good Bloody Mary (£10.00) and my partners Vodka and tonic (£10.50) The nibbles were very good indeed, much better than the ones encountered on my recent trip to Mr Ramsey's Mayfair establishment, Pétrus. Which according to this website, is the number one eatery in London!!! - don't get me started - just read my TA review, herein.

The staff are unfortunately no longer familiar to me, but nevertheless still have the traditionally expected efficiency and attentiveness. You are not left for too long before someone asks if they can help you. Keeping in mind, this was Sunday lunch and the hotel, restaurant and bar were very busy. This is not to say that the amount of people, was unwelcome or intrusive. Judging any establishment at a Sunday lunch time, is perhaps were you will see any cracks - none appeared, which has not always been the case over the years at CG.

We chose from the Sunday menu of the day: £39.00 per Head

My starter was half a dozen Carlingford Oysters - note no surcharge. They were quite the biggest Oysters I have eaten in a very long time - delicious!
A nice touch here, fellow oyster lovers, was that not only had they been perfectly shucked, they had also been completely loosened from their respective shells, which was not the case recently, at a famous seafood grill in Piccadilly; (another favourite eatery of mine) and indeed I shall tell them the next time I go there how CG presents their oysters!

My partner chose the tomato and mozzarella tart, which I also tried and indeed was epic! - beautifully fragranced with just the correct amount of basil. This was a truly memorable dish.

For our main course: I chose the loin of beef, with all of the trimmings: This was served from the trolley with Yorkshire pudding et al - medium rare and topped off with a terrific horseradish sauce. This really was a very good dish, beautifully served and presented. If I was being very critical, I would say that it could have been warmer. Perhaps the plates could be hotter,, The beef was accompanied by a delicious rich gravy (jus)

My Partner ordered the corn fed chicken, served with morel mushrooms: again this was delicious and I would have gladly chosen the chicken on any subsequent visit.

Finally, a strawberry parfait with marinated strawberries and apple tarte tatin - both were delicious and indeed the parfait was perhaps the better choice after the beef?

Wines: A bottle of White Vigneros Buxy Montagny 1st Cru - Chardonnay (£50.00) and with the beef a 175ml glass of Astoria Vini Merlot (£10.00) Very good accompaniments, these were my personal choice. On reflection I may well have asked the sommelier to offer us an alternative/s, which I do on a regular basis, when eating at such noble establishments. But both of the wines were delicious and very well served.

After our lunch we elected to take our mint tea in the main lounge area. A table was reserved for us and on arrival we were treated to beautiful petit fours etc. all of which were served professionally and looked as good as they tasted. This rounded off perfectly, a very much enjoyed lunch time tip to CG.

In summary:

The Skan era at CG came to close in circa 2006, they provided and will long be remembered for the platform that is todays CG. In particular, Martin and Brigitte were assisted along the way by such Hotel management "names" as Peter Crome (now of Skibo Castle) and Robin Hudson, who founded Hotel du Vin. Andrew Stembridge the current managing director was perhaps the least known, when he got the job towards the end of the Skan ownership.

In my view; what the new owner (in conjunction with Andrew Stembridge) has done is to take CG to the next level. They both should be congratulated on achieving that difficult and no doubt expensive evolution. What we now have is a very slick well run 5* hotel. Perhaps some of the homespun quaintness of the Skan era has been lost? But what is now at CG, is a very professionally run hotel indeed, that has lost nothing of its charm and delivers a product that people spending this sort of money to stay overnight require and demand. Martin Skan always saw CG as the weekend retreat for wealthy clients already staying in the swanky London hotels and needing to get away from London for a weekend. CG is now, at last, very much able to deliver just that and more.

I enjoyed my trip down memory lane and I'm sure that you will too. Well Done and thank you. "The Chewt" is in very safe hands indeed.

Room Tip: They are all of the very best - what ever meets your budget
2  Thank RoyGoff
Write a ReviewReviews (1,956)

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We love his place its amazing and so relaxing. The attention to detail is perfect- not intrusive not fusy. The spa is amazing I've had the same lady for years, however, she has just left to go overseas. The treatments are great and the fact that tips are included is so much better as it saves carrying notes etc.

The rooms are well appointed, the food very good and the gardens calm and beautiful. The walk to the beach is a welcome treat too. The new tree houses look great so we thought we'd try these next time. It's our favorite place in the world for a five star hotel nothing else compares on service!

It was the first hotel my partner and I went to and it remains a very special place and always will. We're back every tear and have done so for the last nine!

Thank you Chewton we love you!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed on the groundfloor with patio to the garden great room, my only fault with the room was there was no BIG light for straightening my hair. Amazing place, SPA is one of the top that I've been to. The bathroom and shower was amazing, REN toiletries in there which was a bonus.

Room Tip: We stayed on the groundfloor with patio to the garden great room, my only fault with the room was th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I was taken here as a surprise for my birthday (by my husband and 2 children (2 & 4 yrs old) and absolutely loved it. We were lucky enough to stay in one of the treehouses (Sycamore) which are less than a year old and beautifully designed. They really provide a unique experience and Chewton Glen has done many things right to make treehouse guests feel special. All the food in the room (choc drops and marshmallows for hot chocolates, fresh cakes, drinks in the fridge, fresh cookies......) are all complementary, the decor has the wow factor, the hot tub is always at temperature (brilliant!), a breakfast hamper arrives through a chute into the galley kitchen cupboard at 7.30 (no need to even open the front door!) and the hamper is just amazing in terms of what is offered (and changes each day). Room service is brilliant and all ordered through an ipad/samsung equivalent. We went to the main restaurant on the Sunday night (the hotel organised a brilliant babysitter for us who was a trusted member of staff) and had a great meal and drinks after in the bar. I could go on and on about the food and drink but worth also talking about the nice walk to the beach (10mins) and the beautiful grounds with fantastic sculptures.

Chewton Glen does it right by focusing on exceptional service - I hope to go back soon. It was a real treat.

Room Tip: Sycamore (6th treehouse) includes a loft room for kids, with a stairgate attached at the top.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I booked a one night stay as a surprise for my Wife's 40th Birthday. I was going to book a suite, but when I saw the treehouses I knew they would be perfect. I called reception and found them extremely helpful. Booking the room was easy. I booked a Treehouse spa break that included a hamper breakfast, lunch in the spa restaurant on our chosen day, and a 90 minute treatment each carried out in the treehouse. I booked the treatments early as I wanted them together.

Check in is at 3pm, but we arrived at 11am to take advantage of the spa. We were met outside reception where they took our car to the treehouse carpark. We were shown around the hotel and spa. We changed into our robes and spent a few hours relaxing in the spa. It was quiet in the spa. There is a huge pool, a hydrotherapy pool area, an outside hot tub, and steam rooms. There were also classes taking place if we wanted to join in. Just before 3pm we were met in the spa and taken to a golf buggy that drove us out to the Treehouse. The concierge then showed us around our Studio treehouse. Wow! Stunning. The living area had a large sofa, table, wood burner, flat screen TV, docking station, Ipad, DVD player, and doors opening out onto our balcony. The bed was large and comfortable. There was a large walk-in wardrobe and a safe. The bathroom was huge. The bath had views out to the trees, and it's own TV. There were 2 sinks, a large open walk-in shower, and a selection of products. There was a kitchen area with a coffee machine, kettle, snacks, and a fridge stocked with goodies. On our balcony there were chairs, a dining table and chairs, sun loungers, and a hot tub. The view of the valley was lovely. It was not completely private, but the other treehouses were far enough away.

We spent the afternoon in the hot tub which was fab. At 5pm the girls from the spa came over and set up for our treatments. I had the New Forest Flow, a deep muscle massage, and my Wife had Tree top tranquillity which uses hot oil candles. Both were great and relaxing.

We had a table in the Vetiver restaurant at 8pm, so ordered a buggy to pick us up. It arrived promptly and took us to the main hotel. The restaurant overlooks the grounds, and is nicely decorated. We went al a carte. The meal was good but not great. My Wife's Dover Sole, taken off the bone at the table, was the best dish. The wine list was good, and not too expensive. Service was good throughout. They even gave my Wife a little chocolate birthday cake as a surprise which was a nice touch. It was then a buggy back to the treehouse.

After a good nights sleep we found that our breakfast hamper had been delivered via a hatch by the door. There was a good selection of fruit, juices, bread for toasting, pastries, and yoghurts. The coffee from our machine was easy to brew and tasted good. It was then back in the hot tub for a couple of hours before the midday checkout. We ordered a buggy that took us to the car park to drop our luggage, and on to the hotel where we went to the spa restaurant for our included lunch. We had the buffet that has a good selection of starters, meats, salads, jacket potatoes, and desserts. They also serve wine and beers if you want them.

As it was a nice day we got a map from reception and walked through the grounds, through Chewton Bunny, and to the beach. It took about 20 minutes. The beach walk is nice, with views across to The Needles. Recommended. When we checked out they gave us water and cookies for the drive home.

Everything about this hotel, and our stay, was perfect. The service was outstanding, nothing was too much trouble. The facilities and grounds were excellent. And as for the Treehouse....the price may make your eyes water, but if you are looking for a romantic hideaway, it's worth it. Awesome.

5  Thank Gaz_n_Nic
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed for one 24-hour period taking advantage of a last-minute half-price offer on one of the suites. The room was spacious, comfortable, well-equipped (e.g. 3 TVs!) and generously stocked with (free) water, sparkling wine, chocs, fruit as well as nice bathroom soaps. The pool is very large, very pleasant to swim in, and not heavily used; there are lavish spa facilities.
We did not take dinner in the restaurant, choosing a light snack in the lounge, followed by a (free) DVD in our room, but breakfast the next day was very good, huge choice, all fresh and delicious. The grounds are lovely and well-maintained.

What perhaps marked it out most was the service: very attentive and helpful but also friendly and relaxed without being over-familiar, and consistent across all staff we met.

Room Tip: Our suite was in the main part of the hotel, close to the spa, so we could go to & from the spa...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCN6
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We recently went for the 'Lazy Sunday' day spa option at Chewton Glen.
It is a truly beautiful venue- we were lucky with the weather with sparkling sunshine so it looked even more splendid.
The spa day was well organised and good value. We had a brunch box on arrival, complimentary drinks (excluding alcohol) and afternoon tea, a therapy and full use of the spa facilities. I would recommend coming on time so you have all day to enjoy the facilities.
There is plenty to do in the spa from swimming to the gym to a large hydrotherapy pool. Very relaxing and very lovely.
I would most definitely recommend!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Milton
7 mi away
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
3 mi away
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!