“Outstanding”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Chewton Glen is one of the most relaxing places I have ever stayed. The service, from the point of arrival to departure was faultless. We were met on arrival, the car taken to be parked, luggage transported to our room. Our room was lovely, lots of space, very well presented. Small things make a real difference and the staff here really care about you as a guest. A small problem with the TV in our room was quickly solved. Tea in the lounge reading the paper in the afternoon was so peaceful. There is everything you could wish to see at Breakfast - both cold and hot options, super quality and very attentive service. Evening meals in the more informal bar area or in the Vetiver are both superb. Staff care about making sure you have everything you need, quite faultless. The swimming pool, spa and gym are the best I have experienced in any hotel. The gardens are large and you can enjoy peaceful walks in the grounds or a short walk down to the local beach. Chewton Glen goes to the top of my hotel list - its sister hotel occupied that slot until now! I am already trying to think when I can re-visit.

Room Tip: There are rooms with a view of the gardens; others are more secluded with an enclosed balcony, so re...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sophia27
There are newer reviews for Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Well done to Chewton Glen customer service values as they have turned me from a very disappointed customer to returning customer raving about the place. We had a very disappointed stay for my 40th birthday. You name it, it went wrong and service was far from first class. However they assured us it was a bad weekend for them and valued us enough to give us a complimentary stay. Of course nothing is free and and we have spent quite a lot of money on dinners/lunches and champagne! However during our stay the service was brilliant, warm, heart felt, and first class. The chef made me a special starter that I requested off the menu (which was Devine). Food was fantastic. The sommelier was spot on and really interesting and spent the time with us discussing why some wines are acidic. The staff made our children feel welcome
and special, with little gifts left in our room for them. To that end we will be visiting with our children probably on an annual basis. If you need to get away from it all and feel looked after and fed well, Chewton Glen is for you.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I took my wife here for a special weekend for her birthday. We stayed in one of the incredible treehouse suites. The hotel knew it was a special occasion and couldn't have been more helpful in making this a very special occasion. The hotel staff were amazing and the whole experience was just wonderful. We had a gorgeous dinner and breakfast the next day, wonderful spa treatments, and fabulous walks in the picturesque countryside. It was the perfect relaxing getaway - highly recommended!

Room Tip: I can't recommend the tree houses highly enough!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom E
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We booked for 9 for lunch. Ambience lovely but hopeless waiters. We were given the set menu but not the a la carte.... First error..... We had no idea who our waiter was. Choice of 4 mains.... One vegetarian, one fish(coley), one steak(£11extra) and belly of lamb. Given that it was 1 o'clock and that some people don't like vegetarian/ fish/ steak you would have thought that they wouldn't run out of lamb so early!!!! Starters came and were delicious even though we had to swap then round(they had no idea who had ordered what) we then waited 30 minutes and were then told no lamb( no apology) but were offered two choices instead.... Steak or belly of pork.... Ordered again. Steaks came and only one belly. Some of us had to have steak when we didn't want it and others had to send theirs back as incorrectly cooked( waiter had got order wrong). They redeemed themselves by bringing a heavenly palate cleanser of a yoghurt sorbet which was lovely. Deserts were wonderful too. They tried to make amends by not charging for the wine or service charge but I would rather have paid in full and had a lovely meal. The young man who served us the bread was lovely, attentive and had the service off to a t he deserves to go far...... The rest were absolutely sullen, and frankly a disaster...... Someone needs to train the staff. Half empty restaurant, plenty of staff....... And a wonderful chef let down by front of house. Go up the road to the lord bute ..... A much better experience.

• Stayed: March 2013
ChewtonGlenNewForest, Managing Director at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Jan Milburn

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent lunch at Chewton Glen. I was most upset to read of your disappointing experience and in the first instance would like to apologise most sincerely for the poor service and limited availability of lamb on the set lunch menu. Luke Matthews, our Executive Head Chef, has also asked me to convey his apologies for running out of lamb. It is a fine balancing act in the kitchen between ensuring absolute freshness by not carrying too much of anything and preparing sufficient quantities of dishes to minimize the chance of this type of occurrence. However on the date in question we served over 70 guests at lunch and because we can’t always accurately predict what our guests might choose on a day we occasionally run out of one or another dish. As you would expect, we take steps to substitute an alternative, such as the steak which was offered to you. You would no doubt have noticed that there was no supplementary charge for this.

The attitude and lack of interest encountered from other members of the team is as you know very much out of character and I thought I was reading about another restaurant when I read your review. Normally it is the team who make a visit to Chewton Glen special and I am embarrassed by this unusual and unacceptable lapse in service. In our efforts to determine how we failed you John Lacombe, our Restaurant Manager, and I have discussed your visit in detail. I know that John apologised personally to you and your party on the day for the errors and inattention. It is however sad that despite John’s offering the sorbet and not charging for wine, your lasting memory is of disappointment.

We do occasionally drop a ball and get things wrong and I am sorry that the steps which John took at the time in an attempt to put things right with you fell short of your expectation. However I do hope that you will perhaps in future give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves, with this in mind please contact my office directly when you feel ready to return.

With kind regards

Andrew Stembridge

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is our favourite place, its just perfect in every way - it's a tranquil haven and just what people need in the busy-ness of life. Nothing was too much trouble, the service was second to none. The hotel itself is wonderful The spa is out of this world. Best I have every been too. The facial and massage I had was so truly wonderful. The room was large with its own patio. The food is fantastic ALL of the staff were friendly and helpful. Thank you for a wonderful stay. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank webcatcher
Reviewed April 8, 2013

You can be assured of a warm welcome at this country house. We were a little early arriving and the room was not ready so we enjoyed a fresh sandwich in the lounge and then relaxed and read the papers and magazines readily available. We could of stayed there all day, however, we decided to go to our room and then make the best use of the Spa. The hydrotheraphy pool is impressive and I would say that this has got to be one of the best spas in the country. Our room was equally impressive - we stayed in a junior suite with a private balcony overlooking the sweeping lawns. I think the balance of tradition and modern has been perfectly blended. This is now mirrored in the restaurant - we went for the 5 course set menu and we were not disappointed with any of courses. The quality of the items on the breakfast buffet was also impressive and there was no need to go for the cooked breakfast with so much choice of cold items. After 16 hours in the hotel, we knew our way around and felt completely at home. I just wish that we were staying for longer. There are not many places where I would really say that we must go back but this is now top of the list.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our company had chosen this beautiful place for a company get-together weekend.
It turned out to be a great success. Location is great, fantastic setting, beautiful spa, plenty of outdoor activities available, impeccable service, great food and rooms to die for.
It may not be cheap but is worth every penny !

Room Tip: Since I stayed there : ask for room Nr 50 (with a terrace overlooking the entrance lawn)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Captain's Club Hotel
Captain's Club Hotel
#4 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!