Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lord Bute Hotel(Christchurch)
View Hotel
South Lawn Hotel(Milford on Sea)
  • Restaurant
The Kings Arms(Christchurch)
2,069 results
All reviewsafternoon teatree housecroquet lawntasting menubreakfast hamperthe main hoteljunior suitespecial occasionattention to detailhot tubservice chargesandwichesgrounds are beautifulbirthday treatout of this worldworth every pennyfeel special
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 8, 2013

You can be assured of a warm welcome at this country house. We were a little early arriving and the room was not ready so we enjoyed a fresh sandwich in the lounge and then relaxed and read the papers and magazines readily available. We could of stayed there all day, however, we decided to go to our room and then make the best use of the Spa. The hydrotheraphy pool is impressive and I would say that this has got to be one of the best spas in the country. Our room was equally impressive - we stayed in a junior suite with a private balcony overlooking the sweeping lawns. I think the balance of tradition and modern has been perfectly blended. This is now mirrored in the restaurant - we went for the 5 course set menu and we were not disappointed with any of courses. The quality of the items on the breakfast buffet was also impressive and there was no need to go for the cooked breakfast with so much choice of cold items. After 16 hours in the hotel, we knew our way around and felt completely at home. I just wish that we were staying for longer. There are not many places where I would really say that we must go back but this is now top of the list.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our company had chosen this beautiful place for a company get-together weekend.
It turned out to be a great success. Location is great, fantastic setting, beautiful spa, plenty of outdoor activities available, impeccable service, great food and rooms to die for.
It may not be cheap but is worth every penny !

Room Tip: Since I stayed there : ask for room Nr 50 (with a terrace overlooking the entrance lawn)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is an impressive hotel, set in lovely grounds. The rooms were much larger than expected - enormous bathroom and a private terrace with excellent views across the lawns. Lunch in one of the comfortable lounges was tasty and service polite and quick. We followed this with a brisk 20 minute walk down to the beach (n.b. there is a busy road to cross as you leave the hotel grounds).

The spa pool was inviting and very quiet. The hydrotherapy spa is in the orangery. The main pool area was undergoing maintenance: a grey plastic pipe feeding into the main pool and an area covered by board, surrounded by plastic cones - a bit unsightly.

We were looking forward to dinner (having reserved a table at the time of booking), however, this is where things started to go awry. A preprandial glass of bubbly in the bar was a rushed affair. The Vetiver restaurant turned out to be one of those places where they insist on seating you at a bad table even though empty tables abound. This one was in a draughty corner, close to a service desk. When we politely asked to move, there was an awkward moment whilst the head waiter deliberated over which empty table he could transfer us to. Eventually, we were seated at the table of our choice, the neighbouring tables remained empty during the course of our meal. They kept the draughty corner table in use throughout the evening. (Why the least desirable tables are sometimes the first ones to be used is beyond me.)

Down to the food - the starters were quite nice but the seasoning on mine could have been better. Both our main courses were poorly presented and looked unappetizing. My slow cooked lamb consisted of a small piece of blackened but tender meat, couscous, spinach and some very spicy gelatinous sauce (harissa). The spinach wasn’t mentioned on the menu and the waiter must have been oblivious to this too, as he allowed me to order spinach as an extra side vegetable (good thing I like spinach). To finish, we ordered one dessert to share and were given two separate desserts.

After diner, we went through to the bar for a nightcap. We waited for 20 minutes with no sign of a waiter. My husband had to go and find the barman, it then took another 15 minutes for our drinks to appear. We ordered a second round of drinks which failed to arrive - the barman was busy chatting to people and must have forgotten about our order, so we told him to leave it and left.

Checking out the next day was a protracted process - not enough reception staff for the amount of people departing/arriving. We had wanted this opportunity to address the issues regarding dinner but were in a rush to get to our next destination. They didn’t ask if we’d enjoyed our stay.

At hotels of this calibre you pay a lot for the experience, the service should be excellent and the dining experience, at the very least, good which it wasn’t.

Room Tip: The A/C units can be quite noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LeadingLadyGB
ChewtonGlenNewForest, Managing Director at Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comprehensive and detailed review of your stay with us. I was pleased to note you were impressed by your bedroom, the grounds and walk to the beach. The temporary pipe work and boarding in the pool hall is indeed unsightly and certainly not up to our normal standards, however it has allowed us to keep the swimming pool open whilst we repair a significant leak to filtration system which would otherwise have closed the pool for a number of weeks. I am delighted to report that the repairs have now been made and the area is looking as smart as it should do again.

Your poor evening in the bar and restaurant was certainly not indicative of our typical guests’ experience and our front of house team, led by Mark Bevan, Operations Manager and the kitchen brigade, headed up by Luke Matthews, Executive Head Chef, join me in apologising most sincerely for both the disappointing food and service. Your detailed review is invaluable help in addressing the issues which affected you.

Check-out is occasionally busy and while we try to anticipate our guests’ movements, we can’t always predict exactly when that will be. I am really sorry that this impacted on your departure in such a negative manner and resulted in you leaving with the matter of dinner unresolved. We would certainly never have wanted you to leave unhappy and would always much rather speak to guests whilst they are still with us to address any issues and proactively take steps to ensure that we can recover as much as possible from a situation.

In the event that you consider returning to Chewton Glen please contact me directly so that I can take make appropriate arrangements to ensure that your next stay is memorable for all the right reasons.

Kind regards,

Andrew Stembridge

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Our 3 night stay at Chewton Glen was everything we needed right now. After seeing articles detailing the treehouses on a number of occasions I knew it was somewhere we really should visit.

The treehouse definitely lived up to expectation. We stayed in a loft suite which was perfect for the children. They were amazed when they discovered they had to climb a book shelf to get to their room! Being a loft room it gave us a bit of space to ourselves when the children had gone to bed.

Unfortunately as my husband is poorly he didn't get to enjoy the facilities but he was happy to stay in the treehouse whilst my daughter & I went to the spa for relaxing treatments or when I took the children for a walk to the beach or swim in the pool. The privacy of the treehouses was one of the reasons we opted to stay there, to give my husband a bit of peace in a tranquil setting. The breakfast & dinner hampers also meant that we didn't need to leave if my husband didn't feel up to it. The amount of food provided in the hampers was overwhelming, I'm sure they could have delivered half the quantity & we would have been happy!

The treehouses were beautifully cleaned everyday & felt extremely luxurious. The kitchenettes are stocked with a number of tempting treats which you are free to enjoy. If we required anything we only had to ask & it was delivered to our room in minutes! We were also given lovely gifts throughout our stay which made it all the more charming.

We had dinner at Vetiver Restaurant one evening which was lovely but due to the comfort of my husband we were only there for an hour & had just the main course. I truly hope to visit again when my husband can fully appreciate all that the hotel offers.

I know that we will have fond memories of Chewton Glen, the treehouse and the wonderful service and atmosphere that is found there.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Amanda H
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This Hotel is set in grand surroundings, the building itself is pretty and charming with nice gardens. I was surprised it only has approximatley 70 rooms. The suites are huge, very surprised. The suite we had was really spacious with all the luxuries you would expect such as fluffy robes and slippers, double shower (loved this!), lots of stoarge space, nice comfortable bed and nice bathroom / dressing area for you ladies. It also had a large balcony overlooking the garden for the smokers out there!
The room was quite cold, need heating on alot.

It surprises you as the more you explore the more you find in this hotel.

The Spa is one of the best I've been to in England. The girls are lovely and offer helpful, personable advice and the treatments they offer are good and priced competively. I enjoyed my treatments and bought some products from the Linda Meredith range.
Nice pool and selection of jacuzzis, hot tub outside etc. Nice relaxation areas to chill out.

The resturant was nice, starters were flawless and very tasty, however the same was not to be said for the main dish which was disapointing and even more disapointing the way it was handled by the staff. Even after two compiants the server who collected my plate did not say anything to offer a solution or apologise. I ordered seabass and it came lathered in mint (i detest mint and did not say so on the menu) so was unable to eat it, no apology and it appeared on my bill! Very bad! Had to request to speak to the manager to get it taken off and I went to bed hungry. My partners Dover Sole wasnt much better, and it is an expensive fish.

Also we had breakfast the next day, it took 20 minutes after being seated before we had tea or coffee on the table and even then I had to ask! The streaky bacon was cut far too thick and very greasy and my eggs were hard. Shame because the food and service is what let the hotel down.

One thing I did find strange is there was no drinks at all in the mini bar in the room only water and that was limited. I wanted a coke, had to order room service and even when he turned up he dropped it on the carpet and I had to wait for him to get another. So more treats and drinks should be in the minibar. Further more I had to pay service charge! (small but not the point!)

Also REN products are not luxury enough for the price tag of the room!

Good hotel but needs a bit of attention to detail in places and dining staff need to learn how to serve people a bit better (especially when we ordered an expensive wine and want it poured throughout dinner and this does not happen) My partner went mad as I was pouring my own wine and we only had a half bottle! Cant be that hard can it!

Room Tip: Silver or Gold suite - all a nice size with a balcony
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple