“Outstanding!”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I booked ourselves into the treehouse suite for a 2 night getaway from our toddler whilst also trying to relax before our next baby is born in a month or so. We had a larger suite with an upstairs for children, Upon our arrival we were given a warm welcome and we were escorted to the parking area whereafter we were driven via an extended and covered golf cart to our treehouse. The treehouse was stunning, clean and had everything one would need, We had pre-ordered our wellies which were left outside the door in our respective sizes. The kitchenette was stocked up with plenty of water, hot chocolate, milk and some cakes as a welcome! The sitting area was spacious and cosy and we didnt need the woodburner as the house was very warm indeed! The under floor heating was amazing and anything left on the floor was toasty in the morning! The bathroom was stunning, and the views from the stand alone bath were beautiful! That evening we ordered in the dinner hamper which sounds informal however it was a lovely three course meal. We started with the prawn coktail which was out of this world- the caviar on top added an extra pleasing dimension. The lobster curry for main course was just heavenly (albeit this is a thai curry dish). My husband ordered the cheese plate which he devoured and I had the chocolate pot which was light but had great depth of flavour if you like chocolate! The breakfast hamper was perfect and we were able to add requests for certain items not included. My husband used the gym and enjoyed the state of the art technology. His only grumble was that he would have preferred a view whilst running. I visited the spa which was one of the main reasons for heading to CG, I wanted to swim as much as possible. Unfortunately when we attended there were emergency repairs being done to the pool as there was a serious leak. Although I totally understand that these things happen I was deeply disappointed not to have been able to swim as frequently as intended. My husband did use the hydropool area which looked amazing. I could not use these facilities as I was pregnant. We did use the hot tub on our terrace which was pre-heated so no preparation was required. It was ready for use at anytime. We dined in the restaurant and enjoyed our meal save to say that the food was priced at or above a 3-star Michelin restaurant which was a surprise. The last morning I made a point to the duty manager about the pool and he offered me a late checkout and a gift voucher for another night which was a very kind and appreciated gesture. When the voucher arrives we'll be booking up immediately for a three night stay! I have to just add finally, that nothing was too much for this establishment. Many five star hotels in the UK have a different attitude to customer service than say, the US or Europe. We found the service to be first rate and would not hesitate to recommend this establishment to friends and family. As a footnote I also wish to say that we were going to stay at Lime Wood (before we changed our mind). They behaved as if every request was a laborious chore, emails went unanswered and I am still waiting for an email from the general manager (three weeks and counting) in response to the feedback I sent with my cancellation request.

Room Tip: Push the boat out for the treehouse. Truly unique and spectacular!
1  Thank LondonWaterBaby

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We spent 2 nights at Chewton Glen in December. Having read about this property in so many magazines over the years, we had high expectations for our experience there. We took an easy train ride to New Milton from London and a five minute taxi ride brought us to the inn. The staff at the reception desk, mostly not British, is lovely. Our room was a garden suite that was a very comfortable size and beautifully furnished. It had a small, enclosed private terrace that could be accessed by both the living room and bedroom, with comfortable garden furniture and planters filled with primroses still in bloom in December! It was a charming space. The bathroom was new and gorgeous. My only complaint on our room is that the lamp lighting is so low, it made reading a book on a couch in the living room or an easy chair in the bedroom difficult. However, the bed had high intensity reading lights by the pillows.

We had a late lunch in the main lounge, an exquisite living room area with glass walls overlooking the beautiful property. The best thing about Chewton Glen is the gorgeous site that it is on, and the hotel spa which we greatly enjoyed. The gym is enormous and has every machine imaginable, the indoor swimming pool is beautiful and it leads into a hydrotherapy room that is over the top wonderful. You can soak in different sections of a pool that has water jets to massage various sections of your body. Around the pool are placed "lounge" chairs that are composed of heated tiles that lull you to sleep the instant you rest on them.

Dinner was not what we expected. Perhaps our expectations were too high from everything we read, but we were disappointed. There are 2 dining rooms (not including the ones for private parties). The first night the hotel was using the newer one which is a very pretty room with a garden feel to it. This was lovely. The older dining room where the Hotel served dinner our second night is very plain and ordinary in feel. As for the food, all the meals we ate in London were better. The dinner was okay, but again just not as gourmet cooking as advertised. Also surprising is that the wait staff is largely not English and many of them were not fluent enough in English to understand our requests.

Chewton Glen is well situated to use as a base to explore Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral, an hour's drive away. We rented a car and loved exploring the region.

All in all, we are very happy we stayed at the inn, it was lovely, and only the dinners left us a bit non-plussed.

2  Thank discerningNJ
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had a stay at the chewton Glen last week and as always it was lovely. The room was nice, although I have noticed the size of the cosmetics has reduced. The food was fabulous but the service in the restaurant was patchy. The lady sommelier was wonderful and her recommendations perfect but some of the serving staff seemed at best bewildered at worst disinterested which is surprising at the chewts.
Anyway I digress, the shocking part of the stay involved two incidents involving the same party. First a chap arrived in the bar drunk and bare chested and was served! He then fell a sleep on the bar before is girlfriend removed him. The second incident was when another chap from the same party arrived at breakfast in shorts and a VEST! I actually felt at this point I had been transported to Butlins!
I am disappointed with the staff who I felt should have had a quiet word with the gentlemen involved rather than just behaving as if it wasn't happening. I am sure that would be acceptable if the party had sole occupancy but when there are other guests present it just down grades the hotel and my memory of the stay is chavtastic rather than luxurious.

Room Tip: The junior suites near the spa are newer
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank rosemeister1
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I wanted to treat somebody very special to a memorable day. I succeeded! From the moment we stepped into the spacious sunlit lounge we were treated with warmth and courtesy.Owen[on vacation from Plymouth University],Olgar from Russia And Zul were efficient and charming.David Head Man in the restaurant was his usual 'top of his game'. A glass of 'shampoo' and a Sauvignon later we were escorted to the restaurant.A truly delightful Christmas lunch wiled away the next two hours.We ended back in the lounge for coffee and the lady having a glass of.......
Mention must be made of Kim[a delight] a quality lady from Edinburgh[sommelier to have by your side!],Phillipo fom Italy and Max from Bulgaria.Those hidden from view in the kitchen seved up a culinary delight..'THANK YOU'. The difference in the day THE PEOPLE!!! Mark could I forget you......Chester and back.....!!! Simon

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We have eaten at the Chewton Glen many times and have always been impressed by their service and food.

Today though I am very surprised to say that I was left extremely disappointed and embarrassed by their level of customer service! We took an elderly couple for Sunday lunch and while getting up from his chair our 84 year old companions chair leg snapped in two resulting in him falling onto the floor. Obviously at his age it took some time to get him back up off the floor, he is quite frail and uses a walking stick. Thankfully he appears to only have been left with a bruised ego.

The waiter apologised but did not inform management. Therefore whilst paying the bill we informed a manager and received another apology. Feeling unsatisfied we asked if the accident could be noted in an accident book, and the hotel director then came over. He also apologised, and informed us he would speak to the chair manufacturers - I would imagine that this is a one off incident and would very much doubt that they will be contacting anyone, this was just distraction spiel.

My grievance is that they didn't care, they did not even take his number to give him a courtesy call tomorrow to check how he is (a bit stiff I would imagine!). Perhaps sending them a bunch of flowers or bottle of wine to apologise would have been nice touch. To be honest I would think even our local Toby Carvery would have shown more compassion and interest!!

• Stayed: December 2012
9  Thank Pickleloba
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at the Chewton Glen to celebrate a special birthday. We booked a large suite which although expensive was very nice. Sadly the service simply didn't live up to expectations. On the first evening we had booked a table for 8.30 in the restaurant. We went to the lounge for a drink soon after 8 but it took nearly 20 minutes to be served. We were told someone would come and tell us when our table was ready. At 9 we gave up waiting and went to the restaurant where they seemed a bit surprised to see us. Service throughout the meal was slow. The food itself was fine.

The next afternoon we gave the lounge another chance and went down for tea. After 45 minutes we gave up waiting.

When we got our bill there were a number of errors. These were corrected quickly at reception but if I had not checked it carefully we would have been overcharged by at least £50.

Overall I felt that the service spoilt our weekend. I filled in a feedback form and three months later got a written apology so I think they did realise they could have done a lot better.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda M
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Having heard good reviews from friends, we booked into Chewton Glen as a birthday treat. What amazing service! It is the level of service that you get in the US with no pretentiousness and geniune friendliness. So surprised to get this in England.

We enjoyed the Spa, the bar, the room, which was lovely, and a very festive afternoon tea, complete with snowmen!

I would thoroughly recommend it!

Room Tip: We booked a garden room on booking.com expecting a small room and got the opposite! Breakfast was e...
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Milton
#1 of 2 in Burley
Captain's Club Hotel
Captain's Club Hotel
#5 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!