“Wedding Anniversary Lunch”

Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Milton
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We had a lunch at the Chewton Glen for our family and close friends to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. This was organized seamlessly, dealing with seating order and place cards, and special request for flowers. The table and wine service was highly professional and friendly, and the food was tasty and well presented. The Chewton Glen pulled out all the stops to make this a memorable event for all of us.
We combined the lunch with a 2 night weekend stay. Although the weather was indifferent we enjoyed relaxing and making use of the leisure facilities.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,022)

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I booked the Oak End Room for 20 of us to celebrate my husband's 50th Birthday. The staff, the service, the food was just impeccable, our friends we so impressed and and we were delighted that that we had the most memorable day, we couldn't have wished for anything better. Chewton Glen never seems to fail in delivering 'quality service' all round. We have visited many times before and we will continue to do so.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Had a wonderful time at Chewton Glen last week. Staff were attentive to our needs and ensured we were comfortable and served in a timely manner. The food was delicious and well worth the money. Would thoroughly recommend a celebratory lunch here....whatever the occasion!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I had a private shoot dinner for 13 in the Wine Room, and can not fault our evening.

From the moment we walked in we where welcomed and made to feel at home, the set menu was a bargain for the quality of food, the venison was delicious.

The service was impeccable, our waiter for the evening was always there when needed, and a big thumbs up to the barman for our flaming after dinner cocktails.

Much better than the competition.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Recently stayed at Chewton Glen for a work's conference and what a welcome change of venue this proved to be - luxurious, intimate and extremely easy on the eye (if not the pocket) I would love to revisit for a weekend in a personal capacity.
Allocated a corner suite on the ground floor (room 65) I was simply stunned by the size of the main room, with everything tailored for comfort - a separate dressing area and a massive bathroom with both a bath and a double showered walk-in shower were amazing finishing touches.
With top notch food and drink, in lovely surroundings and with staff showing great attention to detail, I never quite made it to the impressive spa, though I shall make a point of doing so next time.

Room Tip: Room 65 on the ground floor occupies a corner site, at the far end of the hotel with views across th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We first stayed at Chewton Glen in 2009 and in total have stayed in 2 bronze rooms (including 1 of the tiny ones) and 2 gold rooms. Each stay has been outstanding.

Service: The hotel is greater than the sum of its parts because of the service. It is impeccable, discrete and there is always someone anticipating rather than reacting to your needs. When you arrive, someone comes out to collect your car keys - they already know your name, presumably because the cameras have clocked your registration number. It's a great touch. This time we were really early so we had lunch at the bar but our room was ready by 1.30pm

The Rooms: We have had a range of rooms, this time staying in a gold room overlooking the croquet lawn. It's a large room - a bit chintzy but nicely laid out. The bed is great and comfortable, there is a sofa and 2 armchairs. I am amazed that they keep the thick cream carpet so fresh and clean. In our room we found a complimentary half bottle of Nyetimber and a box of chocolates. The contents of the bar was also complimentary but had nothing exciting in it - 2 bottle of water and some sparkling elderflower. We'd have preferred a better selection of drinks and snacks that we could pay for. In addition to the paper version of the hotel information there is a Samsung tablet which holds hotel information and gives access to internet. I loved this! However, we couldn't turn it off so had to put it face down away from charger at night. The tablet made reference to a £10 additional fee for drinks-only room service. This put us off a bit and didn't chime with the 'nothing is too much trouble' impression we get elsewhere in the hotel. The bathroom was spacious with a huge bath, double shower, and loads of toiletries. I did cause a panic when I sprayed deodorant in the dressing area (which incidentally has loads of storage and proper hangers) because this set off a fire alarm (oops).

Bar: This has a slight air of a gentleman's club but the staff are very friendly. When we had lunch there the waiter correctly advised us we wouldn't need to order as much as we had due to the sizes, later I was able to order drinks off menu and I noticed that the barman knew the drinks preferences of some of the more regular guests.

Spa: It's the spa that keeps us coming back. I haven't been to a better one in the UK. We started off in the very well equipped gym, then on for a swim. On the Saturday there were not any spare loungers so I had to hover a bit. The hydrotherapy suite looks fantastic but I have never got the knack of bubbly water. Other people seem to love it though. We ate in the spa café, having a really delicious buffet; a choice of healthy but not boring food with a delicious lime, apple and kiwi juice. My treatments were great. The therapists always know when to chat and when to leave you to relax. The changing room is spacious too and avoids the 'leisure centre' look that so many have.

Restaurant: I've left this towards the end because this is the least good part of the hotel. The service is great (apart from the usual insistence on topping up glasses that drives me nuts), the interior design is much improved since its recent refurb and breakfast is delicious and generous but the dinner remains disappointing. To be fair, over 2 meals, I had 2 great deserts (try the bumble bee) and a good starter and main but I had a really disappointing starter and main. The starter was scallops, smoked duck with Asian broth. They were presented in what looked like a balti dish. The scallops were great, but the flavour was drowned by the broth and the duck was about a 1cm cube cut in two. The main was beef served again in a balti dish with a Pyrex lid. It was OK but more bistro than fine dining. The menu is different since the refurb but not the improvement that we had hoped for. Personally I feel that it lets down the efforts made elsewhere in the hotel.

Over all, I love this hotel and I know I will be back. It is always sad to leave somewhere that feels like home and then they rub it in by sending you off with refreshments for the car journey - that would be the car that is waiting for you with your luggage already in the boot - and a cheery wave from the valet.

You must go, you'll love it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I visited Chewton Glen in the spring as part of a business trip and promised myself that I would return with my wife at some point in the future and indeed so glowing were my stories from the initial stay that I had to return. Plans were made and a date was found in the middle of winter for a foray into Hampshire and a stay at Chewton became reality. As we approached the house there was a moment of trepidation as I had spoken so highly of the hotel and its service that I felt I was setting myself for a fall. Maybe its sign of modern times that rather than setting out to be further amazed we set our sights on looking for faults and preparing ourselves for the let down.

Well this time my stay at Chewton could not have helped restore my belief in the fact that winning formulas require thought, time and most importantly the correct team in place. From the moment we walked through the door and were welcomed til we passed back out of the front gates we were the recipients of wonderful hospitality and immediately put at our ease.
Whilst much of Chewton Glen is good and no one particular facet is outstanding it is this wonderful combination of consistent excellence which is blended together with personal, friendly yet inobtrusive service which makes it one of the most memorable places to stay.

We were indeed greatly priveledged to stay in one of the new tree houses perched above the tree canopy in a little glen looking out over the meadow. Each room has everything that could be wished for from tea and coffee making facilities to state of the art communications, underfloor heating to hot tub on the balcony, welly boots for the adventurous and cookies and hot chocolate for the lazy. the treehouses are some distance from the hotel- enough to be private and discreet but not too far to be isolated. we arranged for a buggy to take us to dinner which was had enough of a range for all to enjoy, and walked home to take in the air. For Breakfast it was delivered through a secret hatch in a special hamper and whilst initially we had intentions of going to the restaurant for breakfast these were quickly dispelled when we opened to hamper to find everything we could have wished for had been delivered with fresh fruit , waffles, yoghurt and cereal, apple juice, orange juice and mountains of pastries and bread to go with the smoked salmon!

Whilst I read from other reviewers that the tree houses are ideal for families they are designed in such away that i thought they were ideal for couples looking for a quiet romantic escape. The house remains at the heart of the hotel with great spa and sports facilities but the tree houses force you to relax and imposes and air of tranquility that in todays modern world is difficult to achieve and therefore great to experience
The only fault we found was that one night was not long enough and despite my wife trying to rectify this buy leaving her wallet in the safe and forcing me to return to collect it- a good plan
but one I quickly saw through- our next visit is already being planned!

Room Tip: Treehouses are new and impressive but they do offer peace and seclusion without isolation
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!