“Do Not Go There! They Lie !” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Milton Barns Hotel

Milton Barns Hotel
Ranked #6 of 15 New Milton B&B and Inns
hampshire
“Do Not Go There! They Lie !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

We booked a room two weeks before we wanted to stay and were told confirmation would be sent by post - not email. Three phone calls later we still had not received anything, despite a man (not on the phone, just a voice in the background) saying it had been posted 'two days ago'. Then we were told they had one letter wrong on the postcode. I booked another hotel and cancelled this one, was told the money would be refunded in two days. On the following day the man rang me and told me they did not refund money. I said not using email was a poor way to do business and I would not do my business that way. He answered 'This isn't your business'.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank bridgeHampshire
perrypressure, Owner at Milton Barns Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Sadly this lady would not accept confirmation was sent in post and maybe lost by Royal mail system. We offered to send a second copy in the post but she would not listen as abusive when we tried to speak . She (insisted) how we should run our business by email confirmation as she would do. We said we were happy ( thank you for views anyway about our business), but we would still post confirmations (as we tried to explain but NOT ALLOWED to speak), as we post a free map of coast and new forest along with area information pack showing places of interest for guests to perhaps visit. The lady was told on 2 occasions her room was confirmed and shown on our system so please do not worry. No refund was due as she was told our terms of trading (which are displayed on line etc) were not adhered to and it was her own fault she had booked somewhere else costing her the price of two rooms in the end. Finally, she said she would report us to her local chamber of commerce, which has no bearing on standard industry hotel trading terms she had broken.........the lady continued to be abusive and hung up while we were trying to talk reason with her. A very sad conclusion when our staff had tried so very hard to help this lady understand, but who would not listen to reason.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

We booked on behalf of friends thinking this would be near the forest or the beach, as we wanted a weekend out of london. I concede it was 5-10 mins drive from the beach, but the actual area this is located in is basically an industrial estate, and very shabby. That would suit some people (presumably workers at the estate), but not if you want a nice / leisurely weekend away. The rooms were OK / bearable but certainly not like the website pictures, but in the end we actually decided not to stay and forfeited our room payment (they wouldnt even give us half back despite the fact I argued it was false advertising). Anyway, as I said the people were nice enough, but this is not the place to stay if you want to have a nice weekend break. I would avoid this and stay 5 mins drive by the beach or somewhere nice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
perrypressure, Owner at Milton Barns Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Our response to this comment. We are just 3 minutes from beach and New Forest, not 10 minutes as told on trip adviser, we are near an industrial estate not on one. The guest never stayed so could not comment on our facilities. He said he never puts things on tripadviser if we paid him some money back, he did. He really wanted a very posh hotel for very little cost .He wanted the New Forest 5 minutes away, but in the end stayed 25 minutes away not 5 minutes in Bournemouth which is a confusing story on his part?
crowborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights for a double celebration. It was my daughters 40th birthday on the friday and we had an excellent meal at the cliffhanger restaurant which we would thoroughly recommend. On the saturday it was my younger daughters wedding in Poole with the wedding reception at the Three Tuns just 10 minutes from Milton barns.
There were 12 of us staying thursday night, 18 friday night and 20 saturday night. We also had an extra 4 family members for breakfast on the Sunday. The accommodation was just perfect for the whole family and the staff were friendly and helpful. We would thoroughly recommend milton barns as a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mariondixon
Watford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2011

We were booked into this hotel as part of a group booking and attended a party there. On arrival the Receptionist could not find the location of our room. When the room was eventually found there was no number on it, which I thought was strange. The room we were given was tiny with a small bed. The pillows were overhanging onto the bedside cabinets. There were only flimsy blinds at the window and no curtains. The bathroom was shabby with a broken toilet roll holder and shower tray. The room was dark and one of the bedside lamps had no bulb in it. I complained to the Head Receptionist and she told me that this was usually a single room. I explained that we had booked a double and she said that the hotel was full because of the party. If we had not been attending the party I would have checked out there and then. After a lot of negotiation we were eventually moved to another room, which in fairness was very nice and large with luxury fittings.

Breakfast the next morning was very disorganised. Our hosts had booked breakfast for ten people to be served all together. Firstly there was no fruit or cereal on offer. The toast arrived and was only enough for one half slice per person. We had to ask for jam and marmalade and even then only a minimal amount was offered. We also had to ask for milk for the tea. The actual full english breakfast was however excellent but some of the male guests were still hungry afterwards.

I would not recommend or return to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KARENP105
Bideford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

My wife and I had a very restful night here. Good management and caring staff. Large rooms with all the amenities. And then the GREAT breakfast. I would recommend
Milton Barns to anyone travelling the area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2011

My wife and I recently spent two very enjoyable days/nights at Milton Barns Hotel. We must congratulate the management on the superb service extended to us during our stay. Being and old converted Barn, you always wonder what it will be like. We were very pleasantly surprised at the decor, spotless rooms and public areas.
We found Bob very helpful, he seems to run most things. He even drew maps for us, as we are not too familiar with the New Forest area.
As the Hotel is so well located for the New Forest, and the Dorset coast, we were very satisfied with our choice of accomodation. As for the cream tea, well we have never tasted a fresher, or more delicious indulgence (Freshly made on the premises).
We would certainly book again with NO hesitation, and will give it 5 good stars!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liuche
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2010

I booked and paid for three rooms at this hotel in preparation of an early morning buisiness meeting. I arrived as planned on the evening before with a colleague whereupon we discovered that we would have to be somewhere else the following morning so needed to stay elsewhere.

So we were delighted with the cheerful help that the staff provided to find us another hotel nearer to our new destination and refunded our pre-payment in full, even though they could have claimed the whole lot with such late notice.

So I still haven't stayed there, but based on these wonderful staff, I am sure I will in future.

(My scoring is based on what I was able to see for myself!)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Rhinefield House Hotel
#7 of 11 in Brockenhurst
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,621 reviews
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to Milton Barns Hotel? Share your experiences!