“Need to relax” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Need to relax”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

After a particularly stressful event in my personal life, I felt the need to escape for a couple of days and unwind. Being on my own was daunting, but I felt very welcomed and at ease on my arrival. I used the facilities while my room was being made ready. It wasn't overlooking the lake but was still more than adequate, clean and pleasant. I really enjoyed the Thalassotherapy treatment and the food was brilliant. I felt relaxed and peaceful by the time I went home. Sorry but one small complaint (honestly really tiny) Having been for a day before with my daughter I noticed a big difference between the treatments on packages and treatments specifically booked. The package treatments seem a bit conveyor belt ish, to be got over and done with as quickly as possible. The facial I upgraded to, was wonderful, with a thoughtful professional therapist, totally different atmosphere.

I felt I got value for money and achieved the aim of my stay there. Newly revitalised. Thank you.

Room Tip: My room was standard but really good quality, probably better views available if you pay more. I wa...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Sonja E E
Will S, Group Operations Manager at Champneys Forest Mere, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, i am so pleased to hear that you had such a relaxing and rejuvenating break at Champneys Forest Mere, that is certainly our aim and i am pleased to hear that the team are delivering on this. I will pass on your comments to the Spa Manager and i do hope they did not detract from an otherwise enjoyable stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys in the future!

Will

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
Chatham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

I came here with my wife for our first 2 nights away without are 1 year old. The overall experience was fantastic and really helped us relax. Booking was simple and the check in was friendly and relaxed. The room itself was fairly standard and nothing spectacular, though the view over the lake really was incredible.

All the treatments we had were fantastic and we were made to feel extremely relaxed. The food in the restaurants was very tasty, which was good as I was worried it would all be 'bird food' but it really wasn't. They made the odd mistake with a wrong breakfast one morning, and the room had a few issues, but overall I could let those things slide.

The price is the big factor. I got 75% off the cost due to my private medical which made it extremely good value for money, and I would be willing to pay double what I did. However despite it being very very good, it certainly would never be worth the full price, as for that price i'd expect total perfection beginning to end.

I will be looking forward to going back many many times.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your well earned break at Champneys Forest Mere, i will pass on your kind comments concerning the treatments and quality of food to the Spa and Kitchen teams.

I too look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys Forest Mere again soon!

Tidmarsh, Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

We were signed up for Champneys 'Bootcamp' rather than just a spa weekend and it was excellent! The check in was smooth and our bags were stored until our room was ready. We had a lovely room (Rm 104) overlooking the lake and outdoor pool with its own terrace with table and chairs and 2 sunbeds. The room was large enough for two beds plus a seating area with sofa, easy chair and table.
However, we were not there to lounge about as we were on a 3 day Bootcamp. On this you eat a calorie controlled (but extremely tasty and varied) diet and participate in pretty much back to back exercise throughout the day. We did everything from aerobics to pilates, hikes to water polo. All great fun and not at all daunting for the less fit as you can pace yourself accordingly to your level of fitness. We were lucky to have a great group of people and actually made some new friends! The drive up to the property is stunning with rhododendrons out in their full glory everywhere, the lake is spectacular and the adjacent woods perfect for walking. We were lucky with the weather - apart from a thunderstorm and heavy rain for a few hours - the sun shone making the outdoor pool (which was lovely and warm) a very appealing place to be when we had a spare half hour.
Our overall experience was excellent, staff were friendly and helpful, our massage was perfectly adequate, the shops are well stocked with some great value products, our food, despite being tailored for us to lose a few pounds, was well presented, tasty and imaginative. There are some areas of the hotel that are a bit tired but there appeared to be a programme of renovation taking place. If I were to be critical, it would be that the 'old house' part of the hotel is a bit dark and drab and needs a facelift - we ate in the restaurant here and would rather have been outside or somewhere lighter and brighter where we could enjoy the views.
I have not experienced the Spa package but would highly recommend the 'Bootcamp'.

Room Tip: We had Room 104 which was on the ground floor (best) quiet and sunny all day until about 4pm.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jenny H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, i am pleased you had such an enjoyable time attending one of our boot camp breaks, although i must admit i am not too sure that is the right turn of phrase considering the intensity of our boot camps! Your comments regarding the food are particularly pleasing as healthy should definitely not mean that it is not tasty still.

I hope to welcome you back to Champneys Forest Mere again soon, perhaps for a more relaxing break next time!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

Had a nightmare trying to book treatments with this hotel. They have one stupid line for all the Champneys Spa's that you stay on hold for over an hr to get through to someone. Once all bookings and treatments done we were looking forward to a great relaxing 5 star experience. I am afraid the name and the star rating did not live upto expectation. Yes the treatments and classes were lovely, but I have been to 3 start hotels with similar or even better treatment rooms. The hotel rooms were 3 star standard and have probably not been refurbished for a very long time as the bath tab and shower are still the old style where you have to do your own hot and cold water mixing (I thought this is not health and safety standard anymore).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, my apologies that on this occasion Champneys Forest Mere did not live up to your expectations. I would like to assure you that our reservations team consists of many more colleagues than one and is split across two resorts to alleviate queue times, i have however passed on your comments to our Reservations Manager to investigate further as our systems would highlight any call with an excessive waiting time for follow up action to be taken. You will also be pleased to hear that bedrooms across our resorts are currently being refurbished with Forest Mere's due to begin towards the end of the year.

Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Excellent location with lovely food and choices.
Many sport and spa activities with lovely pool and whirlpool.
The hotel is rated 5 stars, expensive and we were lucky to find a deal from secret escape.
Great staff!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much! Please do look at our website as we have regular offers through out the year.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

I've just come home and I'm already looking forward to going back in six months' time. Forest Mere has the most beautiful setting. As you follow the long drive in, the sight of massed rhododendrons reflected in the sparkling water of the lake is breathtaking. I can feel myself starting to relax before I've even checked in. The staff are unfailingly friendly and helpful, the food is exceptional and the rooms warm and comfortable. The bathrooms are immaculately clean but perhaps a little bit tired as others have commented - not really a big deal though. We like to do lots of classes and as usual we worked hard while having a lot of fun. Rebecca is a fantastic teacher and the visiting Zumba professional - Jennifer Phillip - took an amazing Zumba class - the most fun I've ever had in a fitness studio! The weather was so good that we were able to enjoy the outdoor pool too - a bonus. Roll on December ...

Room Tip: All rooms are good but those overlooking the lake are exceptional
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Will S, Deputy General Manager at Champneys Forest Mere, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, i am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were able to make such good use of the facilities, i quite agree that on a sunny day Forest Mere is a beautiful destination and the out door, heated pool is a real bonus.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Champneys Forest Mere for another enjoyable stay, although it may be a little cold for the outdoor pool this time!

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We spent two nights at Forest Mere. The facilities and the available treatments, classes and general atmosphere was really good. Unfortunately at nearly £400 a night for a room the rooms were less than impressive. We were in standard rooms which took me back to my boarding school days.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank ZedChick
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, i am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that the facilities, classes and treatments were to your liking. You will be pleased to hear that we have extensive refurbishment plans starting after the summer which will culminate in our bedrooms being refurbished. Please do remember that unlike many other resorts our prices do include all of your meals, use of the pool, spa, outdoor pool, up to 20 fitness and well being classes a day and several inclusive spa treatments.

Will
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,018 reviews

Been to Champneys Forest Mere? Share your experiences!