“Champneys Forest Mere”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Liphook
London, United Kingdom
“Champneys Forest Mere”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Difficult to fault. All the staff were helpful, kind and patient wherever we were. Nothing was too much trouble for them. And the facilities were excellent and not very crowded.
The classes were just pitched to my level and I learned such a lot! Especially from the evening talks. 2 nights stay left me wanting to go back again before too long.

Room Tip: We had a standard room and found it perfectly adequate. We didn't spend much time in it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My daughter and I stayed on an overnight break. Everything was fantastic and can't fault staff who were always very attentive but not intrusive. Treatments were amazing and food was wonderful. All the classes - aqua fit, pilates,(well worth the £5 charge) and dance class (hilarious) we attended were taken by highly trained members of staff. The pool and spa area were never crowded. I totally disagree with Mark's review, too. This, our second visit was just as enjoyable and relaxing as the first. We will be back later in the year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2014

this is my 3rd time of returning to this spa hotel, staff, food, hotel grounds and treatments are wonderful. if you need just to get away go for it. you do not have to have the treatments but definately an added bonus. the hotel has plenty to offer with large swimming pool etc. the food is wonderul as is the staff, all polite and helpful. would recommend and do recommend to anyone who listens.

Room Tip: if the weather is good the ground floor overlooking the lake but otherwise all rooms are good
1 Thank Sue K
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I have just returned from a 2 days 1 night stay. My average starring is because Champneys really do need to spend some money on upgrading.
I spent some time here 3 years ago and as far as I could see nothing has been upgraded. The worst area is the spa shower area and changing rooms. The steam room was a waste of time I went in dry and came out dry the only steam stayed at the top of the ceiling area . The sauna was very good. The showers were very tatty and shampoo holders etc were wobbly and unsecure.
The area for hair drying and face cleansing also had a few lotion holders missing. I noticed that the supplies of toiletries had been downgraded and in much smaller containers in the bedrooms. There was only one moisturiser to serve face hands and body. I certainly don't use the same moisturiser on my face as I use on my hands and legs.
The flip flops that are provided are lethal in this area and also in the bathroom in the bedrooms as they slip on the flooring in there.
I had a ground floor courtyard room. The weather was very good so I thought I would sit outside with my coffee. The table and chairs had not been cleaned and were covered in moss. I wiped them myself and sat on a towel. Walking over to the coffee area I tripped on a loose paving stone I was lucky not to fall. This area also needs an upgrade.

Now for the good bits.
The staff were very good and the food was also very good. My evening meal was delicious. I sat on the Champneys table and met two lovely ladies who were very interesting and fun.
The treatments were excellent I had a body radiance which was very relaxing. Included in my stay were a mini facial and massage which I had back to back. The therapists were excellent. I attended the aqua fit class at 7am and followed with a swim. I found plenty of time to relax and read and just chill out which was the main reason for going.

Would I go again? Yes I would for the treatments the pool and the food. If I wanted to stay in a top class hotel, No.

Please Champneys upgrade your facilities they are very tired.

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeside view the rooms are south east facing and the view is lovely.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank catherine c
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My husband and I went on the 6th and 7th of March, it was perfect as usual. The staff are wonderful, they are attentive but not too much, they are friendly and fun but not too much. The food is exceptional, I know I can choose anything and it will taste wonderful, and I am a fussy eater but not here. I read Mark's review with horror, as it really doesn't sound like the place I just went to. Mark, I think you need to calm down to see the beauty of the place and unwind. You moaned there was nothing to do of an evening, but the rest of us eat a wonderful dinner, have coffee, relax and read for a bit and then head off for a sleep worn out by doing nothing and happily we have to do it all again the next day. This place soothes my soul like nothing else can.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
West Sussex
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Went with my mum for 1 nights stay, had a really good deal that came free with a 55 minute massage which when we checked the price of it normally, would have cost half of what the trip did each!!
The staff were perfect, professional, helpful and polite. The food was faultless and the activities and facilities exceeded expectations.
This trip is ideal if you want to be pampered, relax or improve fitness, but what I love about Champneys is that you can just do what you want to do without any pressure. There is not a lot to do in the evening but this is not the sort of place to stay up late or drink a lot, as the whole idea is to be healthier and if you want to lots of the activities like us, you will be up at 7am for the first one! (Remember if you want to lie in you can!)
I think that the bikes were in very bad condition when we went on a bike ride and there is some confusion over which classes you should pre-book when there but apart from that we just could not fault it, I have stayed at many locations where I could moan over several things, but this stay definitely exceeded expectations.
We will definitely be there again

Room Tip: same with any room anywhere really, be on the highest level if you can to avoid overhead noise. We w...
Sussex, UK
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed at the Champneys Spa in Forest Mere on the 8th March 2014.

This was my first trip to this spa with my wife we have been to a few day spa’s before and had a very relaxing time mostly at the Nirvana Spa.

First impressions was great, the spa was in a great location and our room was nice.

Then the first problem occurred: Lack of staff, we went to have a coffee (no table service) and had to wait 10 minutes just to get served. There was just 1 person serving teas and coffees, this was the norm throughout our 24 period at this hotel. On numerous occasions we waited to get teas and coffees. The lack of staff was evident everywhere at the hotel except for the reception.

Next Problem when I tried to book a class first obviously had to wait in line behind 3-4 more guests for 5 minutes to be told that ALL the fitness classes were booked up I should have booked in advance. OK no problem I thought I would hire a bike and ride round the grounds. I asked for a map for any bike routes, there was none. I then got the bike which was awful and VERY dangerous. The chains were rusty and tyres were flat. The second day I hired a bike I tried to complete my own maintenance on them but guess what they had NO tyre pump or bike oil! When I was leaving I was then informed that the bikes were dangerous and nobody else was going to use them. So other guests must have complained.

The Pool – Yes be warned this is a health spa and all it really has is 1 big pool with an added Jacuzzi pool. Both were cold yes cold. There was no jets or any other things you would expect from a spa pool.

Relax – When at spa’s I was always told that is was about relaxing. That is true but not at this spa, basically there are only I counted 10 communal loungers in the whole complex next to the pool. All other areas had normal chairs. We were fortunate enough to go when the weather was wonderful but Champneys was not prepared. Next to the café all the outside chairs and tables were being used because everyone wanted to go outside, we had to get our own chairs which I found in a corner which had been there all winter. As stated the grounds are beautiful, they have a great patio area overlooking the lake wonderful. Not a single chair or table to sit on, I do not mean they were all been used there was NONE to sit on.

Dinner – Dinner was good but make sure you book early or otherwise you will be sitting in the café area which was very tatty. Service at dinner was also good.

After Dinner – What to do after dinner at Champneys NOTHING there is nothing to do! Get a taxi and go to a local pub. Which was amusing because the pub said lots of people go there to escape boring Champneys.
By the way they serve no beer here, I know it is a health spa but they serve bloody cakes all day?

Morning Paper – Wrong paper provided! Even though I was charged for the paper I requested.

Lunch – Was buffet and good except again for lack of employees and people. Hot food was cold and nearly carved the turkey myself because no one was there to serve.

My recommendation is do not waste your time here! Basically service is awful! Facilities is awful!
Go to Nirvana Spa and book a hotel locally.

Thanks

Mark

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Paddy_Power2673
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liphook
Grayshott Health Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Haslemere
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England

Been to Champneys Forest Mere? Share your experiences!